**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

The Cubs offense offers no consistent formiddable foe. By this there is no 1-2 punch. If someone is hot they avoid them and then the rest of the lineup does nothing. I think it will be a few years before the cubs can find this.

Another good note in that article is Clevenger starting rehab at Iowa and will be in their lineup tomorrow. Hopefully it is a quick rehab and he can come back soon as I really do not want to see Hill playing every day at catcher.

The Cubs offense offers no consistent formiddable foe. By this there is no 1-2 punch. If someone is hot they avoid them and then the rest of the lineup does nothing. I think it will be a few years before the cubs can find this.

This is why we are all crossing our fingers with Rizzo. If he even comes close to hitting the way he is at Iowa then that will give them a 1-2 punch with him and LaHair in the lineup. If you can get runners on base it makes it hard to pitch around LaHair when you got Rizzo hitting behind him.

The only downside is having 2 left handed hitters hitting back to back in the lineup.

This is why we are all crossing our fingers with Rizzo. If he even comes close to hitting the way he is at Iowa then that will give them a 1-2 punch with him and LaHair in the lineup. If you can get runners on base it makes it hard to pitch around LaHair when you got Rizzo hitting behind him.

The only downside is having 2 left handed hitters hitting back to back in the lineup.

I think Rizzo will help, but he isn't going to be the solution to the problem completely, and I know you understand that. You have to more than just the 1-2 punch, and those guys aren't always going to be on. Also as you mentioned it wouldn't hurt to have a right handed bat split them up.

I think Rizzo will help, but he isn't going to be the solution to the problem completely, and I know you understand that. You have to more than just the 1-2 punch, and those guys aren't always going to be on. Also as you mentioned it wouldn't hurt to have a right handed bat split them up.

That's for sure. The Cubs are pretty obviously more than 1 player away from being a legit contender. The starting rotation isn't bad currently, but the bullpen stinks and the lineup, outside of LaHair and Castro, isn't going to make anybody nervous. Soriano his hit a few HR lately so that's a good sign.. Hopefully he will be tradeable by July.

Personally I'd also like to see LaHair continue to hit for a while longer before I'm convinced he's a long term solution. He's produced SO FAR and may continue to do so, but if I had a nickel for every young player I've seen who started his career with a hot month or two, and then disappeared (Tyler Colvin for example), I'd be able to quit my day job.

The good news is that decent middle-relief pitching seems to be pretty easy to come by, but IMO the 1-8 part of the lineup is the part that will take some time to build.

Paulie is a classy guy,and he will always say the right thing. I believe he is right that Smarmy was not trying to hit him, just move him off the plate. Big distinction.

Some Cub announcers and fans continue to maintain that because it was a split finger pitch,there was no way he was even trying to come inside...I disagree. I do think he wanted to move his feet,but not hit him in the face. Fine...that is allowed,after a guy hits a homer off of you. Smarmy has only hit two batters all year,and they both happen to be the only guys who have hit homers in their prior at bats...Heyward and Konerko. So,clearly,Smarmy has had great control this year,with only two hit batters, except when a guy hits a homer off of him,and then he loses control 100% of those occasions....weird. I think Smarmy has had a good year in part because he is throwing inside,and keeping guys from digging in. So, he is going to do that to guys that hit homers off of him...and this time,it did get away a little more than he intended. Fine. PK knows that. And so do Humber,and Ventura,so they did the correct baseball thing,and threw at the Cubs 1st basemen/best hitter,LaHair,and the message was sent. And Humber/Ventura totally denied it after the game. Again,the proper baseball way to handle that.

Peavy is a hot-head,but he did not hit anyone yesterday,so he calmed down and did the right baseball thing when facing a team he can shut down...just shut them down and go home.

The history on the Sox side is that our last manager,Ozzie Guillen, did the opposite of Ventura...he talked big,but his pitchers never hit anyone after the Sox batters got plunked. Wrong way to handle it....talk little,and just plunk them back. Sox batters let the league the last two years in getting hit,and their pitchers hit fewer oppo batters than anyone in the league....not good.

We went to Murphy's LONG before Saturdays game to watch the EUFA league final. There were two dudes in there that jumped behind the back bar to try to turn on the Kerry Wood speech and turn it up as loud as they could. It was hilarious. These were the biggest sports fans (also really large dooshes) that I have ever seen. Some of you Cub fans have a lot to live up to.

Another good note in that article is Clevenger starting rehab at Iowa and will be in their lineup tomorrow. Hopefully it is a quick rehab and he can come back soon as I really do not want to see Hill playing every day at catcher.

I don't want to see Hill play any day at catcher. Hope they release him as soon as the other catchers come off the D.L.

Knowing the Cubs as I do, I suspect that once Clevenger is back, he will hit a solid .210

I will take that from someone that is learning how to hit big league pitching versus someone that has been around for 9 years. Besides even if he does just hit .210, Koyie Hill is a career .212 hitter so you are not losing much.

Koyie Hill is one of my least favorite Cubs ever (right next to Aaron Miles and Todd Hundley). How does he keep ending up on this stupid team?

Koyie Hill is one of my least favorite Cubs ever (right next to Aaron Miles and Todd Hundley). How does he keep ending up on this stupid team?

mine to, I am still trying to figure out why the heck Cincinnati had him on their AA farm club.

anyone who thinks Garza is a top of the rotation guy is a fool. you never know what u will get with him except for being inconsistent. Trade him while you can!

Garza may not be an ace but he is definitely someone I want to see pitching rotation. I don't know why he got away from using his curveball as it was dropping off the table. He kept going to his hard slider and he was hanging it up in the strikezone.

Another good outing by Travis Wood and yet another anemic performance by the Cubs offense. As I mentioned after his last start, Wood not only looks decent on the mound, but he displays a pretty decent bat. He did as well tonight hitting the ball harder than most of the position players.

Latest posts