**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Nobody here has said that this year and honestly meant it. Move along.

It's not the year, there was never any doubt about it. I was getting excited watching the younger guys, and they really started playing a lot better when they shipped Byrd off. It's really disappointing though when the team works hard and the closer blows it. He's had five blown saves this year. Convert those and all of the sudden you're only a game and a half behind the Cards.

It's not the year, there was never any doubt about it. I was getting excited watching the younger guys, and they really started playing a lot better when they shipped Byrd off. It's really disappointing though when the team works hard and the closer blows it. He's had five blown saves this year. Convert those and all of the sudden you're only a game and a half behind the Cards.

This is true. What else can be done with Marmol? Can he pitch relief? He is not fit to be the closer. Lost in all this is how well the Cubs played. They have 3 solid starters.

This is true. What else can be done with Marmol? Can he pitch relief? He is not fit to be the closer. Lost in all this is how well the Cubs played. They have 3 solid starters.

Theo has the full permission of the Ricketts to eat any salary needed. Unlike Soriano though Marmol is younger and there may still be potential there. As of now though, his performance is crippling the team. If he can't perform the duty as closer or any reliever for that matter that needs to hold a lead then he needs to be a waste reliever. The guy you throw in the game when you're down by 4-5 runs and you just need somebody to throw in the game.

IMO, I think the best course of action is to come up with some kind of "muscle strain" and give him a few days off to rest. I would then give him a "rehab" assignment at Iowa and have him pitch in the set up role, a role he was very good at earlier in his career. After this rehab assignment give him a shot at the set up role, if he succeeds take the first offer that gets you a couple of prospects and pays most of his remaining salary. He still has one hell of a slider, but he has been struggling to get his fastball over for the past 2 years. Right now I do not think he is mentally up to be the closer.

What never happened to pitchers pitching complete games? you're telling me Dempster couldn't throw a better 9th than Marmol today? Seriously, let him finish the game if nothing else.
I think you will see this. However once a guy hits 100 pitches it's time to shut him down. This is the new norm. Too much investment to throw 120-130 every game as it was a long time ago. I think Sveum will give guys chances to finish what they start more now, but don't expect complete games that often.

Agreed. It won't be frequent but in these types of situations when the pitch count is low or heck, when you're pitching a 3 hit shutout and theyre leading, you give him the opportunity to save THEIR win. especially when your closer has blown 5 saves.

IMO, I think the best course of action is to come up with some kind of "muscle strain=" and give him a few days off to rest. I would then give him a="rehab=" assignment at Iowa and have him pitch in the set up role, a role he was very good at earlier in his career. After this rehab assignment give him a shot at the set up role, if he succeeds take the first offer that gets you a couple of prospects and pays most of his remaining salary. He still has one hell of a slider, but he has been struggling to get his fastball over for the past 2 years. Right now I do not think he is mentally up to be the closer.
=

I think you are on. This is really the only thing you can do with him. They have to take him out of the roll, he's not getting it done. I hope he has a muscle strain tomorrow.

Like another poster stated, imagine where the Cubs are with out all those blown saves. Cubs have been playing some solid ball the las 10 games.

Like another poster stated, imagine where the Cubs are with out all those blown saves. Cubs have been playing some solid ball the las 10 games.

The second you allow yourself a glimmer of hope they bite you right in the ***. hopefully we continue to roll on offense and figure out our bullpen situation. middle of the central would be a good finish for us this year.

Bold prediction time. This Cubs team will be within 5 games of a Wild Card spot when the trade deadline rolls around.

Cubs down 3-0 early. Volstad gives up 2 run double to the pitcher Chris Capuano. :(

What's the lesser of two evils? Having Volstad on the staff or Big Z?

I still say good riddance to Z....but, wow...5-0. Two more errors, on the same play no less, from Castro.

What's the lesser of two evils? Having Volstad on the staff or Big Z?

I still say good riddance to Z....but, wow...5-0. Two more errors, on the same play no less, from Castro.
Well, they are down 5-0 in 7th and Marmol is warming up ... :)

Marmol exceeded as a setup guy. Big money to pay for a set up guy but I am tired of seeing him blowing the lead in the 9th.

Today is the 14th anniversary of the greatest pitching performance in baseball history, Kerry Wood's utter dominance of the Houston Astros.

Today is the 14th anniversary of the greatest pitching performance in baseball history, Kerry Wood's utter dominance of the Houston Astros.
Awesome game. Some of the pitches were unhittable, whiffle ball type pitches. Here's a video of the strikeout pitches.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDgnfm3NOVY]Kerry Wood[/ame]

Latest posts