**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

That was a another game that the Cubs absolutely gave away after having it in the bag. Sveum had better realize soon that you can't keep throwing Marmol out there to blow leads or these are on him.

Exactly. The past is the past but I remember the first two games of the season were given up by Wood/Marmol and now this one. We could be 12-13 right now instead of 9-16.

Mother f#%&^#!

Unbelievable.

Hopefully we can pawn Marmol off onto a desperate team like we did with Byrd. You can NOT be a closer and be THIS inconsistent and terrible! Quit putting him out there! It's pathetic.

Marmol has always had that "close your eyes and chuck it" mentality but up until last year he could at least get it around the plate. Now he's wild as hell and his splitter doesn't have much bite to it anymore. A lot of times when he does get it over the plate it just hangs there.

Mother f#%&^#!

Unbelievable.

Hopefully we can pawn Marmol off onto a desperate team like we did with Byrd. You can NOT be a closer and be THIS inconsistent and terrible! Quit putting him out there! It's pathetic.

And I have to say, Marmol is just building on where he left off last year. He's got the nastiest stuff in the world, but none of that matters if you can't find the strike zone to save your life. Time for Marmol to be demoted. Closer by comittee if need be, but get Marmol out of that role.

Bad offense, good starting pitching and bad bullpen. Kind of what was expected for this team.

People forget there was some good days with marmol but those are now long gone...

I haven't forgotten. I remember many times when he made people look absolutely silly out there trying to hit his stuff. But he has been going down hill for a while now, and I don't see any signs of recovery any time soon.

God closer is the most overrated position in sports. Get someone in there who can get it across the plate and and get people out. If it happens by committee, who cares. Its better than trotting the same bum out over and over again because this is his supposed role.

The cubs had to keep throwing marmol to hope he came back to form and they could get some value out of him. There is some value still there, but not as much as 2 years ago.

One of the bonehead decisions that Hendry failed to move on was getting rid of Marmol when there was a market for him. Last year before the trading deadline I know at least the Mets were wanting him. When he finds the release point on his slider it is almost unhittable. But when he loses the plate with his fastball he relies on the slider to much and any professional hitter that knows what is going to be thrown at him can adjust. Now you would be lucky to get anything for him and you probably have to eat part of his salary.

Next question, who closes? Kerry Wood?

What never happened to pitchers pitching complete games? you're telling me Dempster couldn't throw a better 9th than Marmol today? Seriously, let him finish the game if nothing else.

What never happened to pitchers pitching complete games? you're telling me Dempster couldn't throw a better 9th than Marmol today? Seriously, let him finish the game if nothing else.

I think you will see this. However once a guy hits 100 pitches it's time to shut him down. This is the new norm. Too much investment to throw 120-130 every game as it was a long time ago. I think Sveum will give guys chances to finish what they start more now, but don't expect complete games that often.

I understand that but he was only at 100 pitches and was pitching shutout with a 3 run lead. At least let him start the 9th and if he gets in trouble then bring in the closer.

I understand that but he was only at 100 pitches and was pitching shutout with a 3 run lead. At least let him start the 9th and if he gets in trouble then bring in the closer.

I'm not arguing that, but it's just not how baseball is being played these days.

Latest posts