**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Hard to find good arms and Garza is young enough that he could be a valuable piece when the Cubs do start contending again. Not that I would not listen to offers but I would have to be blown away to trade him.

Good thing the Cubbies will be picking 6th in the draft this year so they can draft a future ace.

Funny you bring that up as I was just checking out a mock draft for mlb.

2012 MLB Mock Draft | 2012 MLB Draft | MLB Draft |

They have the Cubs selecting RHP Lucas Giolito with that 6th pick.

Also, interesting to note that the Cubs are picking #43 and #54. These picks were because of the good moves by Epstein of picking up Ramirez's option and offering Pena arbitration (both declined). The Cubs also have the 6th pick of the 2nd round (#66) so a real good shot at picking up 4 really good prospects to build the farm system with.

The bad news is the Brewers and the Cardinals also picked up a couple of 1st round picks in losing Fielder and Pujols. The Cardinals actually have 4 first round picks as they also got compensation for losing Dotel. Good news for you e11en.

Some of these players are fun to watch. When coming into the year with low expectations (not the typical "this is the year" type Cub thinking from me), I knew I wanted to enjoy watching development. Campana is such a weapon when he reaches and LaHair keeps up his power. Both of them contribute to a 3 run 8th to tie the game, along with another Castro hit and RBI.

Or even the balk which would have advanced Sori to third who scores on the hit instead of having to stop at third.

Dolis appears to have some great potential...that was a great hit out of Polanco. Hopefully the Cubs have some 9th inning magic again and can win another series!

Not a cubs fan but have the game on. Looked like soriano was playing centerfield on that Polanco double. Don't know why they have that kind of shift on for a righty. Just the cubs failing again I guess.

Remember in the preseason when some of us were pining for Fielder or Pujols? Who do you want now?

Prince Fielder - 9 years for 214 million
89 At Bats
3 Home Runs
12 RBI's
.281 Batting Average
.767 OPS

Albert Pujols - 10 years for 240 million
101 At Bats
0 Home Runs
5 RBI
.208 Batting Average
.539 OPS

Bryan LaHair - One year $482K Salary
63 At Bats
6 Home Runs
15 RBIs
.381 Batting Average
1.253 OPS

Perhaps we will need to compare this again at the end of the season but right now I think most of us are picking LaHair as our first basemen even if money was no object.

Edit, I almost forgot the Cubs came very close to having Pena back at first. Cubs offered him arbitration and he refused, a deal that cost him ~2 million.

Carlos Pena - 1 year for 7.25 million (would have cost the Cubs around 9.5)
89 At Bats
4 Home Runs
13 RBIs
.270 Batting Average
.864 OPS

Last edited:
Remember in the preseason when some of us were pining for Fielder or Pujols? Who do you want now?

Prince Fielder - 9 years for 214 million
89 At Bats
3 Home Runs
12 RBI's
.281 Batting Average
.767 OPS

Albert Pujols - 10 years for 240 million
101 At Bats
0 Home Runs
5 RBI
.208 Batting Average
.539 OPS

Bryan LaHair - One year $482K Salary
63 At Bats
6 Home Runs
15 RBIs
.381 Batting Average
1.253 OPS

Perhaps we will need to compare this again at the end of the season but right now I think most of us are picking LaHair as our first basemen even if money was no object.

Edit, I almost forgot the Cubs came very close to having Pena back at first. Cubs offered him arbitration and he refused, a deal that cost him ~2 million.

Carlos Pena - 1 year for 7.25 million (would have cost the Cubs around 9.5)
89 At Bats
4 Home Runs
13 RBIs
.270 Batting Average
.864 OPS

Im very quickly warming up to the idea of sticking LaHair in LF if the Cubs deal Soriano and bring Rizzo up to play first. At first I wanted LaHair to have a good first half and then deal him at the deadline for prospects, now I think they need to keep him and have him play the OF next year and beyond and keep his bat in the lineup.

Im very quickly warming up to the idea of sticking LaHair in LF if the Cubs deal Soriano and bring Rizzo up to play first. At first I wanted LaHair to have a good first half and then deal him at the deadline for prospects, now I think they need to keep him and have him play the OF next year and beyond and keep his bat in the lineup.

I am too, and I was strongly against it a few weeks ago. I personally didn't want either of Pujols or Fielder so I'm still happy about that. Theo knows what he is doing. We need to wait for some of these young bucks to come up. Jackson, Szcur, Soler (fingers crossed) to see if we can get the athletic outfield. Right now LaHair is making a case, though he could definitely get traded for some decent value.

The Cubs really didn't want Pena back. They offered arbitration knowing he would take a multi-year deal and the Cubs would get a draft pick. At least, that's the explanation I believe. :)

http://www.bleachernation.com/2011/...arbitration-to-carlos-pena-and-other-bullets/

You are right, Pena's agent over valued him thinking he could get him a multi year deal. He ended up getting less money had he accepted arbitration. All he got was a 1 year deal with Tampa Bay.

It sure worked out nice for the Cubs. It got LaHair in the lineup and an extra 1st round pick in the upcoming draft plus saving them about 9 million in salary.

Section136, who in their right mind is taking Soriano? The Cubs might have to pay Soriano to just sit at home unless he finds his power stroke.

Last edited:
You are right, Pena's agent over valued him thinking he could get him a multi year deal. He ended up getting less money had he accepted arbitration. All he got was a 1 year deal with Tampa Bay.

It sure worked out nice for the Cubs. It got LaHair in the lineup and an extra 1st round pick in the upcoming draft plus saving them about 9 million in salary.

Section136, who in their right mind is taking Soriano? The Cubs might have to pay Soriano to just sit at home unless he finds his power stroke.

He has always started slow. If he can get back on track and have a solid May and June then have one of his hot streaks in July, somebody in the AL will give a little for him. Granted, the Cubs are going to have to pay a lot of his remaining salary but it is worth it at this point.

Latest posts