**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

There is no chance he is a cub next year. I'm not saying I don't like LaHair and wish they could find a spot for him, but I don't think that Theo and Co want to put that kind of player in the outfield. They like guys that are athletic and don't "limit the team defensively". That's why they signed DeJesus. I'm not saying LaHair would be bad in the outfield, but they want the Bret Jacksons and Sczur of the world, not the Carlos Lees. That's why I don't see laHair sticking in Chicago.

I agree but let's face it, the Cubs will be stuck with Soriano for the next 2 years and LaHair is not any worse in the outfield plus is a better hitter at this point in their careers. But the ideal situation would be for LaHair to hit himself into being trade bait with the AL.

I agree but let's face it, the Cubs will be stuck with Soriano for the next 2 years and LaHair is not any worse in the outfield plus is a better hitter at this point in their careers. But the ideal situation would be for LaHair to hit himself into being trade bait with the AL.

Ideally they both get traded, but I think I know which one is more likely to stay in Chicago, and it's not the one you want to hear.

Ideally they both get traded, but I think I know which one is more likely to stay in Chicago, and it's not the one you want to hear.

If I was running the team I would give him to anyone willing to pick up even 1/4th of his remaining contract. But even 5 million per year is to much for Soriano. So I think you are right.

The Cubs are on pace to lose 124 games this year, which I believe would break the 1962 Met's record. Marlon Byrd hasn't been the same since he was beaned last year and they can't just keep trotting him out there everyday. Soto was due for his "even year" good season, but so far it hasn't happened. Clevenger is hitting well (so far), but can't thrown anyone out. Castro is a proven hitter, but has been a liability in the field and being a liability at shortstop is a disaster. I seem to be one of the few cub fans that likes Barney. As for the others, frankly, there are so many players on the roster now that shouldn't be in the majors that they would be better off playing, and most likely losing, with their AAA players. Like a lot of Cub fans, I am prepared to give the new management some time to turn this franchise around, but I was just not prepared for how bad the 2012 edition of their vision was going to be.

The Cubs are on pace to lose 124 games this year, which I believe would break the 1962 Met's record. Marlon Byrd hasn't been the same since he was beaned last year and they can't just keep trotting him out there everyday. Soto was due for his "even year" good season, but so far it hasn't happened. Clevenger is hitting well (so far), but can't thrown anyone out. Castro is a proven hitter, but has been a liability in the field and being a liability at shortstop is a disaster. I seem to be one of the few cub fans that likes Barney. As for the others, frankly, there are so many players on the roster now that shouldn't be in the majors that they would be better off playing, and most likely losing, with their AAA players. Like a lot of Cub fans, I am prepared to give the new management some time to turn this franchise around, but I was just not prepared for how bad the 2012 edition of their vision was going to be.

Pretty good synopsis, one thing about Barney, who I think is a good player, but not an every day kind of guy, he has more errors than Starlin right now. Just sayin.

I feel bad for Marlon, he just never returned to form.

Hopefully we do not have to wait until August to see this lineup:

CF Brett Jackson
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
LF Bryan LaHair
C Welington Castillo
3B Ian Stewart
RF David DeJesus
2B Darwin Barney

CF Brett Jackson
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
LF Bryan LaHair
C Welington Castillo
3B Ian Stewart
RF David DeJesus
2B Darwin Barney

I don't see it happening until they are assured of not losing control of rizzo and jackson which i think is June sometime. I would love to see that, but honestly I don't know if Jackson sticks at leadoff long term. He should develop some power.

Side note:
Chicago Cubs' Kerry Wood to DL; Ryan Dempster questionable, source says - ESPN Chicago

Dempster might miss his next start.

Cubs down 3-0 with 1 out in inning. Castro has error on throw from Catcher and Byrd made an error in outfield to allow 2 runs. BAD team

I knew it was going to be bad, I really did. But I didn't think they would suck this hard. I assume the heat will start building on Theo fairly quickly.

I knew it was going to be bad, I really did. But I didn't think they would suck this hard. I assume the heat will start building on Theo fairly quickly.

I'm sure the heat will build, but I think he and Ricketts have a plan and it's not for this year. I honestly can't wait to see what kind of moves occur. I think there will be people moving every which way at the deadline and during the offseason. I hope a lot can be done.

Pretty good synopsis, one thing about Barney, who I think is a good player, but not an every day kind of guy, he has more errors than Starlin right now. Just sayin.

I feel bad for Marlon, he just never returned to form.

As far as I know, Barney only has one error on the year whereas Castro has five.

Last edited:
I don't see it happening until they are assured of not losing control of rizzo and jackson which i think is June sometime. I would love to see that, but honestly I don't know if Jackson sticks at leadoff long term. He should develop some power.

I agree June would be the earliest we would see that lineup, hopefully we will see it in June.

When I originally tried to come up with an order I had Jackson in the #3 spot with Castillo 7th but then realized I had 5 lefthanded hitters in a row so I put Jackson in the leadoff.

But this might be a pipe dream anyway.

CF Brett Jackson
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
LF Bryan LaHair
C Welington Castillo
3B Ian Stewart
RF David DeJesus
2B Darwin Barney

Can Lahair play anywhere else besides 1st base? Where is Soriano going, To the bench? What the hell happened to Soto?

CF Brett Jackson
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
LF Bryan LaHair
C Welington Castillo
3B Ian Stewart
RF David DeJesus
2B Darwin Barney

I like it for the most part. Would jumble the order around a bit from what you have but like the players you have included. I will take a stab at it:

DeJesus
Castro
Rizzo
LaHair
Jackson
Castillo/Clevenger
Stewart
Barney

Like you said, a lot of lefties in a row which would come back to bite them in the late innings and really make it easy for an opposing manager to set up his bullpen. I would like to see LaHair continue to play well the first half and see him get dealt.

Can Lahair play anywhere else besides 1st base? Where is Soriano going, To the bench? What the hell happened to Soto?
I'm sure you could stick Lahair in the outfield and he would still hit but he would be worse defensively then he is at 1st base. And hopefully Sori goes to some random AL team. Since his rookie year Soto has went down hill and I don't think there is much of an upside to keeping him around. With that said I don't know who the hell would want him.

Surely the Cubs can come up with a better 3B than Stewart. Don't they have a guy at Iowa, Vitters, who is supposed to be about ready?

Maholm only gives up one to the Reds in the top of the 1st. I consider that to be a small victory. :) Cubs with 1st and 3rd and 0 outs.

Latest posts