OFFICIAL 2019 CHICAGO CUBS THREAD!!!!

It's official. Jake Arrieta will undergo season ending elbow surgery (not Tommy John) to take care of bone spurs.

Meanwhile, Yu Darvish is one of the hottest starting pitchers in baseball since the All Star Break.

Shows why some people are paid the big bucks to make personnel decisions while surly forum posters like myself are resigned to eating a lot of crow.

A road win! See...the sun does shine on a dog’s ass every now and then
In other words, the baseball gods pissed in somebody else's Cheerios today.

Pittsburgh had chances to score early and often. But golly gee, line drives went at people. Ground balls did not go up the middle. Happ made a potential game saving catch. And the bullpen was mostly shutdown in the late innings.

Brewers just beat the Nats 15-14 in a game that went deep into extra innings and into the night and Lord knows how many pitchers were used.

Christian Yelich had five hits and two home runs, one of which came in the ninth inning and was one of three the Brewers hit in that inning to give them a temporary lead (more on that inning in a minute)

I bring this up because it closely resembled a game in Cincinnati at about this same time last year where Yelich went 6 for 6 and hit for the cycle. That game kick-started Milwaukee to their incredible September run where Counsell could do no wrong and they ran down the Cubs to force that game 163.

Here's the big difference. Josh Hader is getting tattooed. And not the ones on his arms. Sent out in the bottom of the aforementioned ninth to protect a one run lead he immediately coughed it up and had second and third, nobody out. Then bases loaded, one out.

But...

Washington's third base coach was conservative early in the inning and didn't send home what would have been the winning run. That runner would eventually die on third.

Trea Turner, batting with the bases loaded, swung twice at ball four, fouling one off and striking out on the other. It ended up costing the game. Hader would eventually strike out the side.

Hopefully this doesn't jumpstart the Brewers but I just can't see them repeating last year if Hader is getting hit.

Is it just me or would anyone else be OK with letting Bryant eventually walk away from the Cubs? You know he and his greedy ass agent Scott Boras are gonna want RIDICULOUS $$$$.

Bryant doesn't have a clutch bone in his body and he's a mediocre fielder at 3B.

I feel the same way about Schwarber. Javy on the other hand? You do anything you can to lock him up long-term.

Lololololol

Of course IMMEDIATELY after I post this he crushes a 2-run shot to retake the lead.

It seems that whenever I start to get very critical of the Cubs they shut me up, at least momentarily.

And still holding to my opinion about Bryant and Schwarber.

Is it just me or would anyone else be OK with letting Bryant eventually walk away from the Cubs? You know he and his greedy ass agent Scott Boras are gonna want RIDICULOUS $$$$.

Bryant doesn't have a clutch bone in his body and he's a mediocre fielder at 3B.

I feel the same way about Schwarber. Javy on the other hand? You do anything you can to lock him up long-term.

Lololololol

Of course IMMEDIATELY after I post this he crushes a 2-run shot to retake the lead.

It seems that whenever I start to get very critical of the Cubs they shut me up, at least momentarily.

You do bring up a valid point.

The three players you mentioned, and several others, are going to be looking to get paid in about two years.

Theo isn't going to be able to afford to keep them all. And now Castellanas is in the mix.

Theo is going to have some tough decisions on his plate this off season.

BTW, that makes some of the inconsistencies of this team even more perplexing. There's about ten players, some of them currently not even with the major league team, who are at that age where they should be smelling the payday. That alone should be motivation for than.

Lololololol

Next time wait until after his at bat before you criticize him.:)

After all, you would never mortgage a property in Monopoly that your opponents are about to land on!

As this group inches closer to their 6 years of service time and throw in Rizzo's contract coming to an end in the next couple years, the window of contention is starting to close for the Cubs. Theo won't be able to keep all of them and he knows it, hopefully the moves he makes are the correct ones and allows the Cubs to extend their window.

It's not just the batters either, you have Quintana's contract expiring soon and an aging Lester, and an aging Hamels who's contract is up after this season. This team is most likely going to look drastically different in two years when the core is unfortunately going to be split up.

Is it time to have a different attitude towards "W's" at Wrigley? Manager? Players? The Nats come in and literally destroy thisd team with pitching, 2 strike hits that score runs. Are they stymied when it comes to pressure? I don't have the answer, I guess. I know we're only 2 games back, but wtf....let's not hand the Cardinals the division. If we do, we probably aren't a wild card team.....THEY NEED TO START WINNING....

This team has been maddening to follow this year. You think they are getting it together and then BAM, they just look awful again. Just such a head scratcher of a year, but just crossing my fingers we somehow sneak out the division. If we don't we are toast I don't think we get in the playoffs or worst case we are one and done like last year.

This team has been maddening to follow this year. You think they are getting it together and then BAM, they just look awful again. Just such a head scratcher of a year, but just crossing my fingers we somehow sneak out the division. If we don't we are toast I don't think we get in the playoffs or worst case we are one and done like last year.
Now its going to have to come down to those seven games against the Arch heads in late September.

I was hoping to make most of those, especially the three in Saint Louis to end the regular season, irrelevant.

Now its going to have to come down to those seven games against the Arch heads in late September.

I was hoping to make most of those, especially the three in Saint Louis to end the regular season, irrelevant.

You are correct, the series against the Cards will most likely determine our fate.

You are correct, the series against the Cards will most likely determine our fate.
What's amazing in this diisional swing is not only the fact that it's taken less than three weeks but also that the Arch heads have accomplished it with no head to head games against the Cubs.

I remember in 1984 when the Cubs swung the division about eight games in two weeks but they were beating up on the Mets head to head in order to do it.

The Cardinals looked dead...DEAD...when the .Dodgers walked them off. I was more wooried about the Brewers then.

Three weeks seems like a long time ago.:mad::confused:

Cards are 9-1 in their last 10 and 15-3 since getting swept by the Dodgers... :mad:
The Cardinals have played since that Dodgers series exactly like the Brewers played in September last year. Milwaukee, at one point, won twelve consecutive games which included postseason play.

The difference, of course, is that it is only August. The Cardinals still have time to cool down and it would be even better if the Cubs caught them in a little bit of correction mode. But the last thing the Cubs need is for Miles Mikolas to start pitching like he did last night. If he does, they will be tougher than ever.

The other thing Cubs fans don't need is for forum posters who are St. Louis fans to start pouncing. We have kept them quiet for a long time. We won't keep them quiet much longer if the arch heads win this division.

The Cardinals have played since that Dodgers series exactly like the Brewers played in September last year. Milwaukee, at one point, won twelve consecutive games which included postseason play.

The difference, of course, is that it is only August. The Cardinals still have time to cool down and it would be even better if the Cubs caught them in a little bit of correction mode. But the last thing the Cubs need is for Miles Mikolas to start pitching like he did last night. If he does, they will be tougher than ever.

The other thing Cubs fans don't need is for forum posters who are St. Louis fans to start pouncing. We have kept them quiet for a long time. We won't keep them quiet much longer if the arch heads win this division.

The Cards starting pitching is really phenomenal right now and is what scares me most. Hoping we can get on them like we did Thor last night!

It will be so nice to be rid of some of these terrible salaries like Morrow, Chatwood, Hamels, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if Lester retires. He's been brutally bad in the second half.

Latest posts