Nunge Garza Perfect Storm

If Williams wasn't better than him last year he wouldn't have played over him. Let's face it, when was the last time we got a Spring kid from high school that panned out? Unless you get a kid that is highly coveted in the Spring (Moore or Vital last year) you are probably just trying to get lucky on kids like Williams and Dailey.

I'm pinning my hopes for our front court on Williams and/or Dailey improving significantly. Without that development we could be in a bit of trouble.

Just heard on a podcast that a former player said Garza plays like a bigger Baer.
Which is flat out awesome. Nothing would endear him than playing hard 100% every second out there. When he gets tired or in foul trouble we have the depth behind him. But for while he's out there go all out and use your length to disrupt everything.

He was a true freshman and Williams was supposed to be be the starting PG. I don't expect Dailey to come out of nowhere and be some stud PG that supplants JBo in the lineup. I just feel that he has more upside at PG than Williams (and Ellingson). If you actually watched the games last year, you would have noticed that he showed flashes of being halfway decent.

True freshman play all the time and I'm not sure why Williams was supposed to be the starting point guard when he's not a point guard. I watched the games last year, when did Dailey show flashes of anything? What'd he play maybe 3 or 4 games in conference play in mop up duty?

The rotation will work itself out. I think we likely see all the guys play starting early in the season but some are going to perform better than others.

From the outside looking in, the freshman seem talented enough to get a shot. Guys like Williams,Uhl, Dailey, Kriener and Wagner have shown some flashes and deserve an opportunity but still need to prove they deserve the time. Wagner to a much lesser extent. Of any of these guys, he's shown the most consistency in my opinion.

Williams will get some back up minutes at the point but how many? Can Fran trust him to play 10+ minutes and not have to play Jordan 30+ minutes every night? Could Williams play some wing as well or is Dailey a better option if we need to go that deep?

Lots of different scenarios and possibilities but I do think that Fran will get it down to an 8-9 man rotation later in the year as it's just too difficult to try and find minutes for 11 guys. We've got to find a mix that will give the best players the majority of the playing time and the bench players need enough time to be able to find a grove.

If Williams could just make free throws and finish at the rim on wide open fast breaks after he steals the ball he would be worth having out there for 10 minutes.

That's what I mean, last year his feet would go faster than his brain it seems, and never seem to finish the pla/drive.

True freshman play all the time and I'm not sure why Williams was supposed to be the starting point guard when he's not a point guard. I watched the games last year, when did Dailey show flashes of anything? What'd he play maybe 3 or 4 games in conference play in mop up duty?

I gotta agree with this one. Dailey didn't do much and when I think of a PG and Iowa, Dailey certainly doesn't come to my mind.

I'm not even sure where you are going with this. Williams was starting at point at the beginning of the season last year. You want so badly to label guys, only one of the 3 guys on the roster who could spell JBo is a 'true' point guard. The other two have looked terrible running the point during their limited time. Someone is going to have to log those minutes when Bohannon is on the bench and I would prefer to see more of Dailey, and that is mainly because he looks the most comfortable with the ball in his hands. Again, I don't expect him to be a world beater or anything. I just think he is the best option of the 3.

The rotation will work itself out. I think we likely see all the guys play starting early in the season but some are going to perform better than others.

From the outside looking in, the freshman seem talented enough to get a shot. Guys like Williams,Uhl, Dailey, Kriener and Wagner have shown some flashes and deserve an opportunity but still need to prove they deserve the time. Wagner to a much lesser extent. Of any of these guys, he's shown the most consistency in my opinion.

Williams will get some back up minutes at the point but how many? Can Fran trust him to play 10+ minutes and not have to play Jordan 30+ minutes every night? Could Williams play some wing as well or is Dailey a better option if we need to go that deep?

Lots of different scenarios and possibilities but I do think that Fran will get it down to an 8-9 man rotation later in the year as it's just too difficult to try and find minutes for 11 guys. We've got to find a mix that will give the best players the majority of the playing time and the bench players need enough time to be able to find a grove.

I am with you on this. Put me in "the rotation will work itself out " crowd. Matchups will dictate who will play and who won't. For example, there will be nights where Ellingson can give you 20 minutes and other nights where he can only give you 2.

We have no idea what the learning curve will be like for Nunge/Garza . They could be ready by day one or it could be the middle of March. I think people are over thinking this rotation thing.

Imo, it comes down to Moss/Williams. It is huge that they take the next step.

Last edited:
None of this matters, because my original question to 5656 of who are the 4 guys not playing because he thinks our rotation should only be 8 guys. Apparently Williams and Dailey aren't going to be part of our rotation. Also don't forget Kreiner won't be playing either. And saying these guys aren't McDonald all Americans is pretty weak. Of "your" rotation you are only allowing, how many of those are M.A.A.?

If Williams could just make free throws and finish at the rim on wide open fast breaks after he steals the ball he would be worth having out there for 10 minutes.

He is already proved he is worth getting minutes. It is about improving and taking the next step.

He is already proved he is worth getting minutes. It is about improving and taking the next step.

Last year he was for lack of a better option. He under performed so badly that I have a feeling Fran is looking at other possibilities, like Ellingson or Dailey.

I'm not even sure where you are going with this. Williams was starting at point at the beginning of the season last year. You want so badly to label guys, only one of the 3 guys on the roster who could spell JBo is a 'true' point guard. The other two have looked terrible running the point during their limited time. Someone is going to have to log those minutes when Bohannon is on the bench and I would prefer to see more of Dailey, and that is mainly because he looks the most comfortable with the ball in his hands. Again, I don't expect him to be a world beater or anything. I just think he is the best option of the 3.

How do know Dailey looks the most comfortable with the ball in his hands when he played no meaningful minutes? I'm surprised anyone expects him to play unless you want a 13 man rotation

None of this matters, because my original question to 5656 of who are the 4 guys not playing because he thinks our rotation should only be 8 guys. Apparently Williams and Dailey aren't going to be part of our rotation. Also don't forget Kreiner won't be playing either. And saying these guys aren't McDonald all Americans is pretty weak. Of "your" rotation you are only allowing, how many of those are M.A.A.?

I told you the 9 guys I wanted in the rotation. Who do you want to see play minutes in every game? I listed the 4 players I think should be left out like you asked. It's just my opinion as I fully expect Fran to play 12 guys unfortunately

I told you the 9 guys I wanted in the rotation. Who do you want to see play minutes in every game? I listed the 4 players I think should be left out like you asked. It's just my opinion as I fully expect Fran to play 12 guys unfortunately

I just don't see Ellingson being able to handle the point on a every game basis. Teams will start killing him as they prepare for him.

If we are gonna struggle with a backup PG, I want someone who can defend at least. I'd give Williams every opportunity to play those 5-10 Min per game. Beyond that, I don't want him eating up minutes at the wing (unless he is hot that game).

I just don't see Ellingson being able to handle the point on a every game basis. Teams will start killing him as they prepare for him.

If we are gonna struggle with a backup PG, I want someone who can defend at least. I'd give Williams every opportunity to play those 5-10 Min per game. Beyond that, I don't want him eating up minutes at the wing (unless he is hot that game).

That's a fair point. I'm just trying think about options to tighten the rotation

I think Ellingson can play the lint with the right supporting cast of secondary handlers...namely Baer and Moss. I'm not suggesting they are pgs but they can at least help bring it up the floor. Remember Williams was hurt for at least some of the season. His back was ailing him. It's possible he will be healthier this season and be more effective. Unless Riley Till comes out of noBaer to fill a ball handling void that's all the options to back up JBo.

Latest posts