North Endzone Construction

So great it is going to be even louder. Too bad they took out the three rows closest to the field.
Doing that would have kept the capacity over 70,000 too.

Spending millions on a stadium and reducing capacity doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, especially since they’d have sold all the seats in the new area anyway.

They appear to be putting up supports for the video board.

Does it also look like those gaudy-ass railings are 7 feet tall when you compare them to the construction workers? The more I see this thing come together the more I don't like it. There's more tunnels, stairs, and railings that there is seating area.

How does Iowa keep fucking up every major stadium/arena project???

readImage.asp

Does it also look like those gaudy-ass railings are 7 feet tall when you compare them to the construction workers? The more I see this thing come together the more I don't like it. There's more tunnels, stairs, and railings that there is seating area.

readImage.asp

readImage.asp

Arent they putting in some higher priced luxury type seating which will make the loss of seats revenue neutral?

I believe if you zoom in on the railings you will see that they are temporary wood for safety of the construction crew.

Arent they putting in some higher priced luxury type seating which will make the loss of seats revenue neutral?
Yep. The revenue I’m not really concerned with, it was the humongous railings they’re putting up @gillnh2o set me straight and said they are temporary railings for the workers.

I do hate the loss of capacity though. Spending this many million dollars, why make our stadium hold less and go below 70,000. One single row extra on the top would have done it easily.

It started with CHA, hasn't gotten much better.

readImage.asp

I just don’t see what’s wrong with an upper deck like PSU’s below. They get way more people through way less “dead space” like tunnels and weird side steps. There are enough huge newer stadiums around with the multi-deck designs that they should know not to let a 12 year old draw it up.
beaver-stadium-penn-state-4f20b9aaab50b3de.jpg

Yep. The revenue I’m not really concerned with, it was the humongous railings they’re putting up @gillnh2o set me straight and said they are temporary railings for the workers.

I do hate the loss of capacity though. Spending this many million dollars, why make our stadium hold less and go below 70,000. One single row extra on the top would have done it easily.

If and when the hawks get consistently good enough again to have all sellouts then there will be enough standing room only and maybe more handicapped fans in areas of the stadium to get over 70K. Just an arbitrary number if we are talking 69, 900 vs 70,001.

Michigan, OSU PSU count every living, breathing animal inside the stadium for attendance, maybe even live creature non-human mascots, but even the ushers, emergency people, concessionaires, whom ever to keep breaking their records.

I am really interested in hawks being in big games and also getting the big viewing audiences.

You know TV cant wait for the next Hawk vs Mich and Hawk vs OSU revenge games.

If and when the hawks get consistently good enough again to have all sellouts then there will be enough standing room only and maybe more handicapped fans in areas of the stadium to get over 70K. Just an arbitrary number if we are talking 69, 900 vs 70,001.

Michigan, OSU PSU count every living, breathing animal inside the stadium for attendance, maybe even live creature non-human mascots, but even the ushers, emergency people, concessionaires, whom ever to keep breaking their records.

I am really interested in hawks being in big games and also getting the big viewing audiences.

You know TV cant wait for the next Hawk vs Mich and Hawk vs OSU revenge games.

I am not sure if you are talking about getting Iowa home games on TV, or just any Iowa games on TV, but the way the Big Ten schedule works, it will be 2022 before Mich returns to Iowa City. And 2023 before OSU returns. By then nobody will remember the big Iowa upsets in 2016 and 2017.

Of course if you are only talking about big TV games and not Iowa home games, Iowa will travel to Ann Arbor in 2019 and Columbus in 2020. So I guess that is a more recent chance for Mich and OSU get their revenge maybe before a big TV audience.

I've been to Michigan and Penn State; they definitely don't need to pad their numbers. Those stadiums are just plain fucking huge and full to the brim.

For people who haven't visited the big house or Beaver Stadium--even if you hate their teams, it's worth it just to see the size of them. It sounds bogus, but Beaver Stadium makes even Memorial Stadium in Lincoln look minor league.

I'm in no way saying the Hawks should go up anywhere close to 100,000 seats, but to me there's no reason our stadium should go backwards. Jesus, how much as a percentage of total cost would it be to add two rows to the top of the upper deck?

I've been to Michigan and Penn State; they definitely don't need to pad their numbers. Those stadiums are just plain fucking huge and full to the brim.

For people who haven't visited the big house or Beaver Stadium--even if you hate their teams, it's worth it just to see the size of them. It sounds bogus, but Beaver Stadium makes even Memorial Stadium in Lincoln look minor league.

I'm in no way saying the Hawks should go up anywhere close to 100,000 seats, but to me there's no reason our stadium should go backwards. Jesus, how much as a percentage of total cost would it be to add two rows to the top of the upper deck?
I'm assuming they could only go so high due to the road behind it, but there's still no excuse for falling under 70k, especially after seeing the gigantic tunnels.

I'm assuming they could only go so high due to the road behind it, but there's still no excuse for falling under 70k, especially after seeing the gigantic tunnels.
If I were Barta I'd have made that one of the main stipulations in the request for proposal.

How tough would it be to add "Maintain current capacity of 70,585 seats"

It's not like that would have taken it from $89 million to $107 million.

Last edited:
When you factor in the widening of the seats along with lower-volume club seating and plaza area, I'm not sure you'd get it to 70k even with narrower tunnels....

Yeah, but if the contractors have been paying attention to how Buyout Barta negotiates contracts...
Guys, it says here that we only have to finish 50.1% of the job by September 1, have 5 years to pass building inspections, and if we quit altogether we get paid double the amount, triple if we knock over all the port-a-pots on the way out. There's an addendum at the bottom, too, that says "Please don't whistle at Vanderberg's wife during her news stories, but if you do I promise I won't write it down or say anything." Initialed -GB

Right they only try to break their own records and maybe try to have the largest crowd ever. I think I was watching a Mich game way back when it was the first campus game that had over 99,999. There is definitely a war on for largest stadiums.

Latest posts