North Endzone Construction

I sat in the North Endzone twice. I even sat in the 2nd to the top row, and generally I don't like to sit high. Both times I thought the seating in the North Endzone was superb, and am a bit sorry to see it go. On the other hand the restrooms were awful even by 1980s standards, when it was built. Even by 1920s standards when the east and west stands were built.

Seriously... have you looked at the South end zone and compared it to the North end zone project?

The South endzone was designed with a needlessly flat trajectory. At the time, the "reason" given was site lines and building codes.. Bull.... Sh**... as evidenced by the design of the North End zone....as well as the additions and upgrades to many other existing stadiums where they were able to snug things right up with the add ons and enhance the "bowl" and intensity" of the layout. (Illinois, Okie St, Mizzou...hell even Rutgers figured out a way to "bowl in" their shitty stadium)

CHA was the same way...the got mushy and compromised the original design. Now we have a milquetoast arena.

Where would I go to get a look a the new North Endzone arrangement? I guess I have seen it before but I am still lost as to why it will be so much better than the South improvements. The "flat trajectory" complaint likely makes sense to me. It puts the seating further away from the field, yes? I like the concourse effect in the south because it gets you around more easily and the restrooms and concessions, though I rarely use the concessions, are vastly improved. I sit fairly high in the south, and enjoy the shade provided by the big scoreboard during the warmer weather games.

Don't really agree on the complaints about CHA. I find it to be unique, with the concourse around the top and the seating below. I think with a competitive team and increased effort to attract students to the games, it can be pretty intimidating. But, to each his own. I have a single aisle seat in the 25th row dead center court across from the Iowa bench and love my seat.

Thanks for the response.

Where would I go to get a look a the new North Endzone arrangement? I guess I have seen it before but I am still lost as to why it will be so much better than the South improvements. The "flat trajectory" complaint likely makes sense to me. It puts the seating further away from the field, yes? I like the concourse effect in the south because it gets you around more easily and the restrooms and concessions, though I rarely use the concessions, are vastly improved. I sit fairly high in the south, and enjoy the shade provided by the big scoreboard during the warmer weather games.

Don't really agree on the complaints about CHA. I find it to be unique, with the concourse around the top and the seating below. I think with a competitive team and increased effort to attract students to the games, it can be pretty intimidating. But, to each his own. I have a single aisle seat in the 25th row dead center court across from the Iowa bench and love my seat.

Thanks for the response.

Sounds like you have a great seat.

You want to see the biggest problem with CHA? Watch a game replay and note the ratio of aisle to seating in the lower part of the bowl.

Here's the North Endzone project page http://kinnickedge.org/#0

Sounds like you have a great seat.

You want to see the biggest problem with CHA? Watch a game replay and note the ratio of aisle to seating in the lower part of the bowl.

Here's the North Endzone project page http://kinnickedge.org/#0

I am not sure how I missed the entire kinnickedge.org, but I had not seen it until you communicated...so, thank you very much! Really enjoyed and is now on my favorites list. I could see what you meant about the flatter trajectory in the south. Interesting. I have read the complaints about the aisles in CHA on Hawkeyenation. Could that be a safety thing, I wonder?

I am not sure how I missed the entire kinnickedge.org, but I had not seen it until you communicated...so, thank you very much! Really enjoyed and is now on my favorites list. I could see what you meant about the flatter trajectory in the south. Interesting. I have read the complaints about the aisles in CHA on Hawkeyenation. Could that be a safety thing, I wonder?

One of the things big contributors complained about in the Field House was how long it took to empty out. So of course, they overcompensated with the new arena. I recall a story shortly after CHA opened pimping how quickly fans were able to exit...which I'd suggest isn't a completely good thing. (yeah, let's dissipate the energy as fast as we can).

A round design vs a square one...has the inherent "spokes into a hub" configuration. The closer you get to the floor, the more the aisles converge. The answer is, of course, to have half of the aisles only come down about 2/3 of the way...or to have a two-level design with a midlevel break allowing the aisle configuration to "reset" for the lower half of the bowl. That was actually the original design concept (I still have the fundraising project folder)...but it was simplified to a single bowl...which ends up with too much unused space (unnecessary aisles) near the floor, where it matters most.

CHA is to basketball as the Metrodome was to football (and baseball) Built in between eras of arena design...and just not that good.

One of the things big contributors complained about in the Field House was how long it took to empty out. So of course, they overcompensated with the new arena. I recall a story shortly after CHA opened pimping how quickly fans were able to exit...which I'd suggest isn't a completely good thing. (yeah, let's dissipate the energy as fast as we can).

A round design vs a square one...has the inherent "spokes into a hub" configuration. The closer you get to the floor, the more the aisles converge. The answer is, of course, to have half of the aisles only come down about 2/3 of the way...or to have a two-level design with a midlevel break allowing the aisle configuration to "reset" for the lower half of the bowl. That was actually the original design concept (I still have the fundraising project folder)...but it was simplified to a single bowl...which ends up with too much unused space (unnecessary aisles) near the floor, where it matters most.

CHA is to basketball as the Metrodome was to football (and baseball) Built in between eras of arena design...and just not that good.

All new info for me...thanks again

Notice the VA hospital in the background? o_O

'Ghost panels' found at Iowa City VA hospital
Veterans assigned to teams without primary care doctors
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...anels-found-at-iowa-city-va-hospital-20160812

Iowa City VA patients not told about bacteria problem

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-bacteria-veterans-affairs-hospital/16372047/

Grassley says VA lied about Iowa patient wait times
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ys-va-lied-iowa-patient-wait-times/374456001/

When do we wave to the VA patients?

1) I hope they have a time lapse when it’s done.

2) Did anyone check during the spring game if the camera was rolling?

Kinnick just got another decibel louder. Closing off the North side like that...wow...home field advantage is going to allow us to win a few big games at home for a change.

You can really get an idea of what it's gonna look like now... Upper deck is pretty steep. Drunk injuries should increase a little.

readImage.asp
I'd rather they did more numerous, skinnier tunnels like they have on the sidelines. You can only squeeze as many people through as the smallest bottleneck, and those stairs to either side are going to be a shit show if each tunnel has to empty out one and a half sections

I like it.
As someone else said, my only question is when do they match the south stands to it?
Filling it in like that, really makes it nice looking.

I like it.
As someone else said, my only question is when do they match the south stands to it?
Filling it in like that, really makes it nice looking.
They just did the south end zone in '04, I'd say its gonna be 15, 20 years before they tear that out.

Very few people complain about the south end because its way more comfortable to sit in. The low angle is about the ony downside in my mind and even that isn't too bad. I'd rather they take the money and put it towards Carver-Hawkeye 2.0, aka the Iowa City Retirement Home and Napping Research Facility.

Last edited:
They just did the south end zone in '04, I'd say its gonna be 15, 20 years before they tear that out.

Very few people complain about the south end because its way more comfortable to sit in. The low angle is about the ony downside in my mind and even that isn't too bad. I'd rather they take the money and put it towards Carver-Hawkeye 2.0, aka the Iowa City Retirement Home and Napping Facility.
I've sat in the South end zone before, I know exactly what it's like. I just think it's going to look kind of weird now. What we need is a ariel view of just the stadium or a shot from the top of the hospital. Then we can see how it all gels.

I go by the construction just about every day. Very impressive; the state needs this company to start paving roads, we'd have all new interstates north and south by the end of the summer.

Latest posts