Nebraska Hires

On the surface it is a headscratcher, but dig a bit deeper. Riley was a NFL head coach and is bound to have recruiting ties to the West coast; which was pretty fertile ground for Osborne. Plus, he's a 'Bama alum and former player. He probably has some SEC area recruiting ties. But if not, Cali is almost just as fertile.

If I was a kNU fan, i'd be confused, but outside looking in, I can see the merit.

So his 3 year stint with the Chargers will allow him to pull 4 and 5 star recruits from the West Coast to Nebraska? Is Philip Rivers hosting recruiting trips?

Hunter74 He's as good as you guys were going to get. Debbie isn't a top 10 job any longer. The rest of America see's it and it's about time you guys face it. As I've said all along Bo wasn't fired because of his 9-3 record he was fired because he's a A-hole.

So his 3 year stint with the Chargers will allow him to pull 4 and 5 star recruits from the West Coast to Nebraska? Is Philip Rivers hosting recruiting trips?

Hey it's a proven formula, don't question it. Remember, Bill Callahan got fired as an NFL coach once too.

if you're into all things schadenfreude, ya gotta be loving this hire. Riley can only carry Pelini's clipboard. 93-80 overall at Oregon State, 58-63 in conference? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Meanwhile, in Iowa City, a D1 football coach is leaning back in his $1,000 office chair and smiling.

Sorry, tweeterhawk, but you missed a zero. Couldn't resist. Probably get the 15 yard piling on penalty, but it felt good.

Frost will be his OC and potential successor.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Frost really shouldn't have his first HC gig at kNU. Give him a few years (2 or so) to prove he can recruit to kNU and that his offense can work. Pay Riley half a boatload to be his baby sitter then make the change. Let's see if Frost does become the OC. Besides, Frost is involved in a NC playoff run so, we won't hear for a month.

"You were born in San Diego in 2000? What a coincidence! I went 1-15 with the San Diego Chargers that year, what a small world!"

Hunter74 He's as good as you guys were going to get. Debbie isn't a top 10 job any longer. The rest of America see's it and it's about time you guys face it. As I've said all along Bo wasn't fired because of his 9-3 record he was fired because he's a A-hole.

Actually, reports were that Tressel was interested in the job.

This. The fanbase is ******. I'm ******. The Board of Regents and Boosters of substance are ******. I don't give a damn about his on field demeanor, couldn't care less. This flat out sucks.

Riley, Eichorst, and Perlman all need to be fired. Yesterday.

Feel your pain brother...we have had our jabs at each other...but seriously this is a lunatic hire. Even if he brings Frost it is just stupid. At least your administration knows there is a problem and acts on it...while Iowa's AD sits blindly at the UNC basketball game while our football program is on auto-pilot.

Frost isn't leaving Oregon to return to Debbie as a assistant. If he returns it will be as the head ball coach.

Really, a guy with a show cause who has been essentially unemployed for several years was interested in a job where he could skim a few million bucks a year off of some rubes? I mean, ISU landed Mangino to run the offense, so I guess anything is possible.

On the surface it is a headscratcher, but dig a bit deeper. Riley was a NFL head coach and is bound to have recruiting ties to the West coast; which was pretty fertile ground for Osborne. Plus, he's a 'Bama alum and former player. He probably has some SEC area recruiting ties. But if not, Cali is almost just as fertile.

If I was a kNU fan, i'd be confused, but outside looking in, I can see the merit.

I have no doubt he has recruiting ties on the west coast. I question whether they are worth anything. He's picking behind USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Stanford, possibly Cal as well, not to mention two very up and coming programs in Arizona as well as a Utah team that is adjusting nicely to the Pac 10. Once he gets to Nebraska, he will probably be relegated further down the pecking order for those coveted west coast recruits, who (Jesus guys, we are getting old) were at most a year old when Nebraska was last relevant when they claimed their co-national title with a vastly superior Michigan team.

Plus, Corvalis is a town surrounded by natural beauty and it has a temperate climate. If a company offered me identical jobs with identical cost of living adjusted pay in Lincoln or Corvallis, I'd move to Corvallis over Lincoln in a heartbeat. Lincoln is an absolute dump, not as bad as Ames or Champaign, but not a place I would have any interest in ever moving to.

Of course he was. He is under a show cause penalty through the end of the 2016 season, and probably has zero chance at a job. He will be 64 when the penalty expires.

Riley seems like a cool guy...a west coaster,tho. He is a pro-style offense guy who uses pocket passers.
The transition will take 3 yrs...by then he will be 65. OSU fans are glad to be out from under his big contract and bad clock mgmnt. Also too loyal to bad assistants, and stubborn adherence to a complicated hard to learn offense that kept young players off the field. Basically, same complaints some fans have about KF.

You guys have no idea the spin going on around Omaha radio today. Top 3 talking points here..

1. First Class human being, can't find a person to say a bad word about Mike Riley. (irrelevant)

2. The record is deceptive has he had to pry recruits from Oregon and Phil Knight's deep pockets. Much easier to win at Nebraska as the competition is worse and Nebraska has vastly superior facilities. (You are now in Lincoln, you think its easier to recruit to that hole of a town?)

3. He will open up the west coast for recruiting. (recruits like to go where it is warm, they don't care that the head coach used to coach in close proximity to warm weather)

You guys have no idea the spin going on around Omaha radio today. Top 3 talking points here..

1. First Class human being, can't find a person to say a bad word about Mike Riley. (irrelevant)

2. The record is deceptive has he had to pry recruits from Oregon and Phil Knight's deep pockets. Much easier to win at Nebraska as the competition is worse and Nebraska has vastly superior facilities. (You are now in Lincoln, you think its easier to recruit to that hole of a town?)

3. He will open up the west coast for recruiting. (recruits like to go where it is warm, they don't care that the head coach used to coach in close proximity to warm weather)

Exactly, it makes no sense whatsoever, except that Lincoln is a nicer town (supposedly) than Corvallis. They conveniently forgot that Corvallis is closer to the ocean, mountains, west coast talent, and its in a better conference.

But the media is stoked, he'll be nice to them and Bo wasn't always nice to them.

I guess that the 2* and low 3* recruits that Riley brings in will fit in nicely in the B1G West, unfortunately.

Latest posts