Nebraska Hires

This is great news for us! I have a good feeling that this will move us up a notch and we will now be sitting comfortably in the #3 slot in the B1G West.

I didn't see it coming. Would never have guessed. Riley is a good coach. I don't think you can fully judge him based on what happens as OSU. OSU does not have the same advantages as Nebraska. .

agree, they don't, but why waste away that long at OSU and nobody was beating down his door...it makes zero sense to me.

On the surface it is a headscratcher, but dig a bit deeper. Riley was a NFL head coach and is bound to have recruiting ties to the West coast; which was pretty fertile ground for Osborne. Plus, he's a 'Bama alum and former player. He probably has some SEC area recruiting ties. But if not, Cali is almost just as fertile.

If I was a kNU fan, i'd be confused, but outside looking in, I can see the merit.

The kids who used to go to Nebraska from the west coast go to Oregon now...or USC...or UCLA...or any number of options where their families can see all their games on TV, too. He doesn't have SEC recruiting ties and he doesn;t have Big Ten footprint recruiting ties

agree, they don't, but why waste away that long at OSU and nobody was beating down his door...it makes zero sense to me.

Apparently schools have been coming after him for quite a while now. Alabama tried to get him. USC offered him twice, even as soon as 2012. He was a candidate at UCLA and Barry Alvarez wanted him on his short list after Bielema left the Badgers.

A couple connected Nebraska friends of mine tell me that Riley was their #1 choice and this deal has actually been in place a couple of weeks now. Some long-term conversations were in place and the Wisconsin blowout was the end of Bo Pelini. They say that the backup plan was Utah's Kyle Whittingham and that Bielema nor his agent were ever offered the job.