More suspensions on the way

Aside from the obvious derailment in the room, I'll explain my opinion.

Jackson has done something to get himself suspended twice in less than 6 months (supposedly it happened in the spring). He hasn't even started his second season of playing yet. Whether anyone thinks he should be on the team or not, those types of guys don't usually last long at Iowa. That's not deniable. They just don't work out. I get the whole "he's just a kid" thing, but he's shown that even though he knows the rules, he either can't (grades) or won't choose to follow them even within a span of a few months.

If you get suspended for a bowl game then turn around like a dumb ass and do it again for the very next game, or you still can't keep your grades up, then it's not looking good for you at a program like this. My guess is that one more and Kirk will say enough is enough, and my other guess is that he does something dumb again. I think it's time to cut bait now so the Hawks aren't trying to scramble to fill his shoes a year or two from now when someone more steady could have been getting those reps. Feel free to agree or disagree if you want.

I had those same thoughts about Jok after his second offense. I figured the odds of a kid in Iowa City that's already found trouble twice is probably going to find it again over the next two years. Jok went on to completely turn things around. I agree with you that the odds don't look good for him right now tho.

Fry can be pretty vulgar at times and combative with a lot of people but whether he meant it as racist is something only he knows. He said it wasn't meant that way so I accept that. We spend too much time in our culture imputing the worst motives on people so let's try and break that trend unless there's evidence contrary.

OK, didn't mean to re-derail the thread. Carry on.

Fry can be pretty vulgar at times and combative with a lot of people but whether he meant it as racist is something only he knows. He said it wasn't meant that way so I accept that. We spend too much time in our culture imputing the worst motives on people so let's try and break that trend unless there's evidence contrary.

OK, didn't mean to re-derail the thread. Carry on.
the word "racist" has been beaten to death over the past 3-4 years.

Nick has to have close to 20 years between his stint at MSU (pre-scandal), LSU and 'Bama. The guy has too many rings for one hand and you don't even need a solitary finger to count scandals that he has been involved with.

Wait, Saban’s players having less of a rap sheet than Kirks is a joke right?

Broadly speaking, negative stereotypes regarding race can be considered racism - I don't believe that applies here however as he never specifically mentioned race nor did he derogate all members of said race. Certain implications could have been made from what he said (I can see how) but that could be more about the person interpreting him IMO
They often are but that's where as you noted and many other topics in the country get misconstrued... That's the thing about 'racism' today. It's not about how anybody means it it's all about how it's being interepreted. Everyone is looking to be offended in some way. That is a heck of a way to try and live that's for sure..

Aside from the obvious derailment in the room, I'll explain my opinion.

Jackson has done something to get himself suspended twice in less than 6 months (supposedly it happened in the spring). He hasn't even started his second season of playing yet. Whether anyone thinks he should be on the team or not, those types of guys don't usually last long at Iowa. That's not deniable. They just don't work out. I get the whole "he's just a kid" thing, but he's shown that even though he knows the rules, he either can't (grades) or won't choose to follow them even within a span of a few months.

If you get suspended for a bowl game then turn around like a dumb ass and do it again for the very next game, or you still can't keep your grades up, then it's not looking good for you at a program like this. My guess is that one more and Kirk will say enough is enough, and my other guess is that he does something dumb again. I think it's time to cut bait now so the Hawks aren't trying to scramble to fill his shoes a year or two from now when someone more steady could have been getting those reps. Feel free to agree or disagree if you want.
Now this I agree with. He won't get a 4th strike of any kind... I'm surprised his 1 game suspension is only that... Which I hope means whatever he did was just slap on the wrist material. The vagueness of 'violation of team rules' is so vague and broad he does it just to leave us guessing at whatever it was...

It ain't a schtick. Just like I used to hate Northwestern and then my opinion morphed when I moved to Evanston so did my opinion on the SEC when I moved to the South. I love Iowa, but they could only hurt me so many times before I snapped and said enough was enough. Like when they lost three in a row to Northwestern with absolutely loaded teams, I snapped back in 2010 and instead of hating Northwestern for winning, I appreciated what they had put together. Same kinda goes for the SEC.

Look, the SEC has a sordid history of segregated football. But after being in the South for awhile, I get it if a kid turns down Michigan for Tennessee or turns down OSU for Clemson or Georgia or 'Bama. It ain't because they're paying guys, it's because Ann Arbor and Columbus suck in the winter.

And the holier than thou attitude is old. It's how losers justify losing. Sure, some Hillary voter might cry himself to sleep (while his wife out on a date with her boyfriend) thinking about how he is "on the right side of history" or whatever, but at the end of the day, the guy is still a loser. That's the mentality of the Big Ten.

Fair enough..........your post(s) can be a little condescending at times, hard to judge. Are you like in the deep South? Or a trendy, hip place like Nashville?

Now this I agree with. He won't get a 4th strike of any kind... I'm surprised his 1 game suspension is only that... Which I hope means whatever he did was just slap on the wrist material. The vagueness of 'violation of team rules' is so vague and broad he does it just to leave us guessing at whatever it was...
It could be anything from cropdusting Kirk's office after eating a quart of baked beans and potato salad up to and including kidnapping and murder.

Fair enough..........your post(s) can be a little condescending at times, hard to judge. Are you like in the deep South? Or a trendy, hip place like Nashville?
Not far from Clemson. I don't think the summer is much worse than Iowa, but the winter and spring. OMG. I got a sunburn in February at the Xfinity stock car race in Atlanta. Never. Going. Back. Up. North.*

*Unless Iowa plays in Indy for the big ten title and I am confident that they will win.

Not far from Clemson. I don't think the summer is much worse than Iowa, but the winter and spring. OMG. I got a sunburn in February at the Xfinity stock car race in Atlanta. Never. Going. Back. Up. North.*

*Unless Iowa plays in Indy for the big ten title and I am confident that they will win.

I am thinking about the triangle area(North Carolina) in a few years, so I can't judge.

They often are but that's where as you noted and many other topics in the country get misconstrued... That's the thing about 'racism' today. It's not about how anybody means it it's all about how it's being interepreted. Everyone is looking to be offended in some way. That is a heck of a way to try and live that's for sure..

If there is any any possible way to find a connection between something someone said and racism, someone will find it and that person will be a racist for saying it. What's funny is I get how people found a way to link what Fry said to racism. The bridge was there to connect it. All you had to do is try to find it and boom, Fry's a racist.

You heard it here first. ------------------------------------

That OLine coach is not a motivator or one who inspires. I don't think we'll see much from the OLine and I don't think he'll be here more than 3 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is any any possible way to find a connection between something someone said and racism, someone will find it and that person will be a racist for saying it. What's funny is I get how people found a way to link what Fry said to racism. The bridge was there to connect it. All you had to do is try to find it and boom, Fry's a racist.

There is a nugget of truth in every stereotype, otherwise it wouldn't be a stereotype. This is nothing new, you pointed this out in the Kaepernick/National Anthem thread. Whether I agree with this or not it doesn't matter.

I thought Fry was just trying to be hip and funny and it landed flat. Now looking at it, I have no idea if race played a factor in this or not.

I’m not a racist. I hate everyone!!!:p

Not that I think Saban has his hands dirty (anymore) and not defending Kirk's handling of the situation either, but do you really think Saban would have booted a returning All-American? I find that hard to believe.

Not to mention Clayborn's case was reduced to a simple misdemeanor and the other guy's had clear video evidence.

Latest posts