More suspensions on the way

I was disappointed by the racism exhibited in the earlier post. I also would note that Alaric Jackson is a very large young man. If you are man enough, make the statements to him directly, then ask him if it is racist. My giess he will stuff you into a empty can of beans and play kick the can with you. Comments about "players can go do the cash-money-hoes thing" are racist. Don't are if you said it about Wegher either. Racists never realize they are racist. If you can say it online, say it to the mans face. And Hayden Frye would be embarassed you used his name. Hayden was one of the first coaches to recruit African American players in the south. Shame on you. And shame on your language on a public forum.
I agree. That was total bullshit. Somebody should kick that guy’s ass for being such a racist asshole.

Little racism there. No?

Doesn’t matter, really.

The smarter you try to make yourself out, the dumber you come off. Your uneducated psychoanalysis schtick is really making you sound less and less intelligent, and more and more wind baggy.

I’m not really sure what effect your trying to have here, but if it involves me it probably won’t pan out. Don’t know how else to reply to your incoherent stuff. I’m bored with it now and I’ll let you ramble on by yourself.

Some of us are pretty bored with you. As someone mentioned you condenscend. Its almost like you are a H F wanna be who actually had a condenscending style too but at the same time was friendly like an old uncle. You have the cheap shot down to an art in your mind. What the hell are you trying to prove. You do have some pretty good things to say but you have no impulse control or filter on insulting in a condenscending way. When disagreements disintigrate into bashing you are atop the leader board on level of intensity and pace of occurance. Occasionally someone momentarily tops you but you determination puts you right back on top. I push crap back at you occasionally and you whine in you condenscending manner. It can always be counted that you will always push crap back. But you are usually the first to throw shit.

I'll give you credit that unlike a few you don't seem to have multiple avatar disorder.

It's 2018, there has been enough racism in our country for people to know how to speak to people in public. If you have fatigue of people calling things racist, that's not a good look.

If you go anywhere and describe any black person this way

"He should go where players can go do the cash-money-hoes thing. I get that he’s a decent lineman but we all know he’s not going to graduate from Iowa nor will he play football his entire career here. And let’s face it, pimpin’ ain’t easy, guys. It’s better to go where it is."

You're going to be called a racist. That's not my fault. You may not like that fact, but you are going to be labeled that way. That's across the board in any setting. You say it at the gym, you say it at the gas station, you say it on Twitter, you say it on Hawkeyenation. That is a racist comment. PERIOD. I don't care what the intent was, you gotta know what you were implicating and the words that come out of your mouth.

Me pointing that out, doesn't make ME the problem. I wasn't offended by it. I just called it what it was.

That doesn't make me too PC, that doesn't mean that I am snowflake or weak, it doesn't make me a victim, or the bad guy, that means I am socially aware at least and know something like that shouldn't fly in today's world, but it still does and I have no issues calling people on it. I called him on it and he then attacked my character. That's rich.

Now, Fry said he didn't mean it that way, I am willing to take that and say "ok, fine, but you still shouldn't say that kind of thing to describe anyone, let alone a black athlete at Iowa. People will look at that and think it is racist."

hate on me all you want and say I'm the problem - you know I'm right and if you think I am wrong, you might have some racist undertones.

I am thinking about the triangle area(North Carolina) in a few years, so I can't judge.
Do it, man. Not sure where you live now, but man, the Chicago area when batshit nuts when Trump won the election and there was no way in hell I was raising my kid in those schools.

Uu5a
Do it, man. Not sure where you live now, but man, the Chicago area when batshit nuts when Trump won the election and there was no way in hell I was raising my kid in those schools.

SW suburban Chicago schools are probably better than most any Iowa school. You werent putting your kids in many Chicago schools unless its the northside anyway.

A woman was just hired by the NY Times' editorial board who's tweeted the most hateful and racist things against white people yet the NY Times and people who think like they do say what she tweeted isn't racism. If she isn't a racist, nobody is a racist.

Yet I keep reading how Fry is a racist because of, I guess, code words that lead the more sensitive among us to presume he is a racist.

Unless you say or tweet things like this NY Times new editorial staff member did, let's try and not be so quick to judge.

This happened in the late spring, and both Jackson and Lattimore are practicing; KF reported that they are meeting all of the expectations put upon them as a result of their infractions, and hence are currently in good standing. My take is that if Jackson was a lost cause, he wouldn't have bothered to meet these expectations, he would have just moved on. The 2nd offense in a short period of time is troubling, but there is reason for hope.

The discussions of racism are going about as you would expect. I have nothing to add, other than to say I have found some of these podcasts on the topic interesting. If some of you would like to hear some perspectives that perhaps differ from your own, check them out:

http://feeds.podtrac.com/raBAhhrHEQY$ (Shelby Steele on How America's past sins have polarized a nation)
http://feeds.podtrac.com/raBAhhrHEQY$ (Thomas Sowell on Wealth, Poverty, and Politics)
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEDTalks_audio (a black man goes undercover in the alt-right)
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEDTalks_audio (what it takes to be racially literate; this one is by a couple of high-school kids; it obviously has some naivete due to the speakers' ages, but it is very impressive for the same reason)
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEDTalks_audio (how I turn negative online comments into positive offline conversations)
https://feeds.megaphone.fm/revisionisthistory (Miss Buchanan's period of adjustment; a discussion of the unintended consequences of desegregation)

A woman was just hired by the NY Times' editorial board who's tweeted the most hateful and racist things against white people yet the NY Times and people who think like they do say what she tweeted isn't racism. If she isn't a racist, nobody is a racist.

Yet I keep reading how Fry is a racist because of, I guess, code words that lead the more sensitive among us to presume he is a racist.

Unless you say or tweet things like this NY Times new editorial staff member did, let's try and not be so quick to judge.

What he said was embarrassing. He's going to get called out regardless of intention. My voting record is pretty damn conservative.

Im not defending the Times. But you should read what she said in context. Read it in light of being a minority female working in a white mans world where Me Too really does happen. Just talk to my white wife. Even yesterday she was being harassed in a store.
Whats ironic in context is the potentially season damaging suspensions are pretty much due to what some might call good old boy red neck fun. Not because of what was stereotyped in Fry's post.

Fry can be pretty vulgar at times and combative with a lot of people but whether he meant it as racist is something only he knows. He said it wasn't meant that way so I accept that. We spend too much time in our culture imputing the worst motives on people so let's try and break that trend unless there's evidence contrary.

OK, didn't mean to re-derail the thread. Carry on.
Accidental racism is still racism. Using the "its only racism if he meant it that way" excuse can be very dangerous. Not saying that applies here though in any way whatsoever though.

Don't blame us for the current climate of our culture. We didn't make it, but we all live in it. If you think it's right or wrong how things are today, isn't really what's being debated here. If you want the right to remain a bigot, more power to ya, but I'd rather be educated. When I grew up in small town Iowa and didn't know better I made racist remarks before.I have laughed at jokes about ethnicity. I have made fun of mentally handicapped people. I have made sexist jokes. As a kid, it was not only encouraged, it was taught by my coaches, teachers and peers. I take responsibility for that. I was wrong. I grew up - moved away and got some real world experience. I could have remained ignorant or grow as a person. I am glad I went the way I did.

I think if someone truly is "ignorant" enough to not even see how something is racist, they are the purest thinkers of anyone. Think about it. How is it more racist to not even think of race when saying there is no way someone will graduate than it is to instantly assume he meant a black guy is too dumb to graduate college? It seems to me that you have to at least have a little racism in your head to think "black guys are stupid so that's what he meant".

I'm a guy who laughs at race jokes and find stereotypes interesting and I still couldn't jump to assuming Fry meant he wouldn't graduate because he's black over the obvious that he wouldn't graduate because he's already been in trouble twice and still has a lot of time left here.

I think if someone truly is "ignorant" enough to not even see how something is racist, they are the purest thinkers of anyone. Think about it. How is it more racist to not even think of race when saying there is no way someone will graduate than it is to instantly assume he meant a black guy is too dumb to graduate college? It seems to me that you have to at least have a little racism in your head to think "black guys are stupid so that's what he meant".

I'm a guy who laughs at race jokes and find stereotypes interesting and I still couldn't jump to assuming Fry meant he wouldn't graduate because he's black over the obvious that he wouldn't graduate because he's already been in trouble twice and still has a lot of time left here.

so you think pimpin aint easy too?

Thank you.

cash money hoes - move back to the SEC, won't graduate and pimping aint easy.

I don't know how you guys defend that as not a racist comment about an African American, but it's fun watching you guys try and exposing IMO.

I don't know how you guys defend that as not a racist comment about an African American, but it's fun watching you guys try and exposing IMO.

SEC is known for being easy on punishment and people who get in trouble twice this early in their career have a good chance at not finishing here. The other two can be linked to black people I guess if you want to go there.

It may be racist it may not be racist. What we are saying is we don’t know. Fry is saying that they weren’t meant as racist, I don’t know him personally so I can’t say for certain. He said he said similar things about Wegher who is white (I actually throught he was black). But calling everything racist doesn’t do anything to fix the problem that’s for certain.

Latest posts