Minnesota PG Tyrell Terry Strengthening Bond with Hawkeyes

I'm torn about CJ. On one hand, he's the kind of player I absolutely want Iowa to offer and sign. He's dedicated to perfecting his craft. I think he will be a solid contributor in a couple of years. On the other hand, he's just not the immediate help, with the type of skill set this team needs. I guess the good news for me is that I don't have any real expectations for him. As for "Kentucky fans walking around asking why Calipari didn't offer him"....well, look at Calipari's recruiting classes. I guess they'd be happier if Calipari pulled the offer from a top 10 player and gave it to CJ?

I'd argue that we have the skill set players we need on the roster. Those lock down defender type players can be found in Moss and Dailey, they just weren't able to be optimally utilized due to the guard shortage last year. I think both have the speed, athleticism, and lateral quickness necessary to get in someone's face. But pressing them into extended minutes in positions where they're uncomfortable while having to also account for partially account Bohannon's defensive assignment in the zone was too much to ask. Adding a couple more healthy guards like Wieskamp and CJ who can be average defenders will allow these guys to focus on locking down the hot hand on the opposing team.

I'd argue that we have the skill set players we need on the roster. Those lock down defender type players can be found in Moss and Dailey, they just weren't able to be optimally utilized due to the guard shortage last year. I think both have the speed, athleticism, and lateral quickness necessary to get in someone's face. But pressing them into extended minutes in positions where they're uncomfortable while having to also account for partially account Bohannon's defensive assignment in the zone was too much to ask. Adding a couple more healthy guards like Wieskamp and CJ who can be average defenders will allow these guys to focus on locking down the hot hand on the opposing team.

Moss and Dailey only combined to average 40 minutes per game.

Moss doesn't have very good lateral quickness. He's a good athlete but not a laterally quick athlete. Dailey is better. That's it for the entire roster. None of the 2018 additions have lateral quickness. That doesn't mean they can't be part of good team defense, however. But that would require a total change in philosophy for most of these players.

So, CJ's uncle is lying then?
I'd want some qualifiers before I'd call him a liar. One could reasonable say that there are "people all over Iowa are bashing Iowa players". And they could point to a couple of websites with 10 to 20 examples of said people. That sample size isn't large enough to support that kind of statement. There are a handful of Kentucky basketball message boards to look at. How many threads wanting CJ, do you suppose we would find?

Edit: Just went to the Kentucky Basketball message board and the Kentucky Basketball Recruiting message boards on Rivals and there is no mention of CJ Fredrick on the first 2 pages of either board. One Iowa fan started a thread asking for information about him and it got zero responses. That seems odd, if people all over Kentucky are asking why he wasn't offered by Calipari.

Last edited:
I'd want some qualifiers before I'd call him a liar. One could reasonable say that there are "people all over Iowa are bashing Iowa players". And they could point to a couple of websites with 10 to 20 examples of said people. That sample size isn't large enough to support that kind of statement. There are a handful of Kentucky basketball message boards to look at. How many threads wanting CJ, do you suppose we would find?

Edit: Just went to the Kentucky Basketball message board and the Kentucky Basketball Recruiting message boards on Rivals and there is no mention of CJ Fredrick on the first 2 pages of either board. One Iowa fan started a thread asking for information about him and it got zero responses. That seems odd, if people all over Kentucky are asking why he wasn't offered by Calipari.
Not to sound mean but cj probably could even walk on at Kentucky

Not to sound mean but cj probably could even walk on at Kentucky
That's the part where CJ's uncle loses some credibility. Kentucky recruits at a whole different level. CJ would be recruited over all 4 years he was there, most likely. And that's not to say that he hasn't heard some people openly question why CJ wasn't recruited by Kentucky. Almost every parent at every AAU tournament wonders why their kid doesn't: Get more playing time. Shoot the ball more. Get recruited by Kentucky. People aren't very knowledgeable or realistic. Kentucky has 3 of the top 30 recruits signed for 2018 (247 sports).
By his SR year, he could be putting up numbers that would make Kentucky fans openly question how he got out of state. That's possible. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Whoever said many people are walking around Kentucky asking why Cal didn't offer the 232nd ranked kid in the country is lying. If that's his uncle then yeah he's lying.

Yeah, I could see why you'd choose to take that part of my post. When his uncle said these people were saying it, it could have been an exaggeration and been merely a handful of people. If fact it probably was.

But you didn't address what his uncle said about what Crean reportedly said. It would seem hard to believe that he would just make up that quote about a comparison to Hinrich when Crean later could come out and say he never said that, should he find out CJ's uncle said it. I suppose he could be a pathological liar but it seems far fetched he'd just make that up.

His uncle said he his nephew had offers from Indiana, Nebraska, Penn St, Butler, Xavier and Cincinatti btw.

Yeah, I could see why you'd choose to take that part of my post. When his uncle said these people were saying it, it could have been an exaggeration and been a handful of people. If fact it probably was.

But you didn't address what his uncle said about what Crean reportedly said. It would seem hard to believe that he would just make up that quote about a comparison to Hinrich when Crean later could come out and say he never said that, should he find out CJ's uncle said it. I suppose he could be a pathological liar but it seems far fetched he'd just make that up.

His uncle said he his nephew had offers from Indiana, Nebraska, Penn St, Butler, Xavier and Cincinatti btw.

I never saw anywhere that Mick Cronin offered him so if his uncle lied about that and lied about people walking around Kentucky wondering why Cal didn't offer him I wouldn't be surprised if he's lying about everything.

I never saw anywhere that Mick Cronin offered him so if his uncle lied about that and lied about people walking around Kentucky wondering why Cal didn't offer him I wouldn't be surprised if he's lying about everything.

Saying that people were saying they couldn't believe Cal hadn't offered him could have been a figure of speech and an intentional exaggeration with no intent to lie. I was just paraphrasing what he said.

We all have used the term "everyone" to describe a handful of people. It's how people use English, dude, if you haven't noticed.

You apparently know about his offer list and that his uncle is a liar. I don't know the man so can't vouch for his character one way or the other.

If Wieskamp's uncle talked about the offers he had, I bet you would call him a liar too. Because I would be shocked if all if his offers were public knowledge.

If Wieskamp's uncle talked about the offers he had, I bet you would call him a liar too. Because I would be shocked if all if his offers were public knowledge.

Cincinnati was the local school. If he had a full ride from them it would be public knowledge. Geez you're talking about secret offers now haha!

Especially when he committed to the Hawks in August without a scholarship. He may have just stopped talking about his offers (since that's how we find out about them when coaches aren't allowed to discuss unsigned recruits). He may also have scared off other offers when that happened because they decided it wasn't worth their time. For instance, there's an article about him taking an official to Michigan in June which may have developed into an offer if he was still available. All of this just to infer that a number of guys who have watched and coached a lot of basketball think that he is a good enough player that he would contribute to their team.

Especially when he committed to the Hawks in August without a scholarship. He may have just stopped talking about his offers (since that's how we find out about them when coaches aren't allowed to discuss unsigned recruits). He may also have scared off other offers when that happened because they decided it wasn't worth their time. For instance, there's an article about him taking an official to Michigan in June which may have developed into an offer if he was still available. All of this just to infer that a number of guys who have watched and coached a lot of basketball think that he is a good enough player that he would contribute to their team.

Or they're just secret offers.

Yeah, I could see why you'd choose to take that part of my post. When his uncle said these people were saying it, it could have been an exaggeration and been merely a handful of people. If fact it probably was.

I don't doubt the offers. Or what Crean said.