Minnesota PG Tyrell Terry Strengthening Bond with Hawkeyes

"prodding" verb.- Stimulate or persuade. (someone who is reluctant or slow to do something.)
(present participle- prodding)

I think "plodding" is the work you were looking for...as in slow-moving or unathletic. Unless of course you meant that both Terry and Ellingson are persuasive or liked to poke people (that might be Woody)

I absolutely agree 100%. I've been explaining that very concept to NotsoGr8N8, in another thread. Running in a straight line and leaping to dunk a basketball, doesn't make you a great athlete! Especially when you are 6'5 with a 6'8 wingspan. James Daniels is gonna be a 1st round draft pick in the NFL because of his lateral athleticism. That man's an elite athlete and his bank account will soon reflect that fact. He probably can't dunk a basketball.

P.S. Magic wasn't a great leaper, that's true. But with his height and length, he could dunk fairly easily. Google it. You'll see.
Here's a picture of Larry Bird with a vertical leap. He could get up there a little. Of course, you can see how much higher Dr, J could get.
4c3325fb303e76b10d07e6e25aecf2c0.jpg

Dr. J. The original. The man was a badass.

Cool, and, yes, I completely agree with you. I've watched more of their games than I care to count, and still watch those match-ups on ESPN Classics. Great, great memories.

Yes, I've seen both dunk...more than once...but neither had true hops, and like I said, Magic used to get razzed by his teammates. I remember Michael Cooper laughing about it one time in an interview.

Larry's official vertical was 28" and Magic's was 30 (not exactly stellar), and, that was when they entered the league so it would have went down from there.

I remember a sports writer in the very early 80's talking about the black/caucasion polarity that existed at the time. Bird was the Great White Hope, and African Americans were somewhat offended by all the attention he was getting (which lead to the infamous Isaiah Thomas faux pas...). There was this talk that Bird had "white man's disease" and that Magic was easily better. The reporter then brought up the fact that Magic actually wasn't that great of an athlete in terms of jumping, and said something to the effect that, "black fans don't really want to discuss that..." He wasn't pointing it out in a negative way or defending Bird, per se, but it was more just a social observation.
Die hard, you just broke my heart:). I had a 30" vertical in my prime. I had (have) a slight problem. I'm only 5'9". I could touch the rim pretty good, but needed the hoop set at nine feet to be able to dunk.

My seventh grade son and his teammates will tell you that their biggest on court thrill is being able to "break the defender's ankles" on a drive or crossover. If it happens in a high school game the entire student section oohs and aahs.

Dr J was a badass who had hands like meathooks. He also had great midair body control in addition to great hops. It all added up to an electrifying act.

Die hard, you just broke my heart:). I had a 30" vertical in my prime. I had (have) a slight problem. I'm only 5'9". I could touch the rim pretty good, but needed the hoop set at nine feet to be able to dunk.

My seventh grade son and his teammates will tell you that their biggest on court thrill is being able to "break the defender's ankles" on a drive or crossover. If it happens in a high school game the entire student section oohs and aahs.

Dr J was a badass who had hands like meathooks. He also had great midair body control in addition to great hops. It all added up to an electrifying act.
LOL. Sorry...

If you are 5'9" with a 30" vertical then you must have pretty long arms.

When I was a sprinter in college and was in peak condition, I dunked a volleyball a couple of times (barely). I'm 5'11" but never had my vertical checked. At the time, I could squat over 400 lbs though.

LOL. Sorry...

If you are 5'9" with a 30" vertical then you must have pretty long arms.

When I was a sprinter in college and was in peak condition, I dunked a volleyball a couple of times (barely). I'm 5'11" but never had my vertical checked. At the time, I could squat over 400 lbs though.

How are your knees today after those 400 lb. squats?:p

I want to make the clarification. HAD a 30" vertical.

My high school sports were baseball and cross country. I had stamina for distance but was never overly fast or quick. I do have slightly long arms for my frame, which helped in city rec because most city rec teams play zone.

To this day, while I have some gut, my legs/calves are in pretty good shape. I started running again in my forties and have probably competed in close to thirty 5k to 10k distance races since 2010. I've lifted weights, more on than off, for two thirds of my life.

I'm prouder of my daughter's vertical. With a 27, she could play middle blocker in Volleyball at 5'8. She high jumps too. Graduates high school in May:eek:. Our other middle blocker is even shorter and jumps even higher. She (the other middle blocker) was conference player of the year. Watched "Miracle Season" today. Mother of the coach lives right up street from my mother in law. Sad but uplifting. Many in Iowa City area will be familiar with that story.

So weird how you can instantly like him more after reading this.

It is. Same player he was yesterday when he was much lower-rated and really wasn't regarded that highly by many people on this site. Now that he's 114 you think to yourself "hey, this kid's pretty good. Hope we get him."

Not a chance. Do you realize the difference between the 150th ranked recruit and the 208th ranked recruit? It's huge.

I realize this is in jest, but I was curious based on our sampling of players if that really bears out (this is only based off high school ranks and I was too lazy to look up JUCO and transfers). I have no idea how to interpret it, but since I did it for myself, I figured I'd post it here too.

2018 Average - 140.5
CJ Fredrick - 226/208
Joe Wieskamp - 55/49

2017 Average - 154
Connor McCaffery - 152/240
Luka Garza - 118/105
Jack Nunge - 202/125

2016 Average - 253
Tyler Cook - 72
Cordell Pemsl - 230
Jordan Bohannon - 312
Ryan Kriener - 317
Maishe Dailey - 332

2015 Average - 306
Brandon Hutton - 222
Isaiah Moss - 248
Andrew Flemming - 278
Ahmad Wagner - 283
Christian Williams - NR(500)

2014 Average - 307
Dom Uhl - 267
Brady Ellingson - 346

2013 Average - 304
Peter Jok - 304

2012 Average - 203
Adam Woodbury - 46
Mike Gesell - 86
Kyle Meyer - 249
Anthony Clemmons - 315
Patrick Ingram - 318

2011 Average - 259
Aaron White - 169
Josh Oglesby - 175
Gabe Olaseni - 434

2010 Average - 241
Melsahn Basabe - 192
Bryce Cartwright - 248
Devyn Marble - 257
Zach McCabe - 267

2009 Average - 235
Brennan Cougill - 191
Cully Payne - 204
Eric May - 220
Andrew Brommer - 326

I realize this is in jest, but I was curious based on our sampling of players if that really bears out (this is only based off high school ranks and I was too lazy to look up JUCO and transfers). I have no idea how to interpret it, but since I did it for myself, I figured I'd post it here too.

2018 Average - 140.5
CJ Fredrick - 226/208
Joe Wieskamp - 55/49

2017 Average - 154
Luka Garza - 118/105
Jack Nunge - 202/125

I think it would be better than avg ranking of all players in a class, it would be more realistic to avg the ranking of the top 2 or 3. Or at least the ones that played significant minutes anyways.

2018 Average - 140.5
CJ Fredrick - 226/208
Joe Wieskamp - 55/49

2017 Average - 154
Luka Garza - 118/105
Jack Nunge - 202/125

2016 Average - 253
Tyler Cook - 72
Cordell Pemsl - 230
Jordan Bohannon - 312
Ryan Kriener - 317
Maishe Dailey - 332

2015 Average - 306
Brandon Hutton - 222
Isaiah Moss - 248
Andrew Flemming - 278
Ahmad Wagner - 283
Christian Williams - NR(500)

2014 Average - 307
Dom Uhl - 267
Brady Ellingson - 346

2013 Average - 304
Peter Jok - 304

2012 Average - 203
Adam Woodbury - 46
Mike Gesell - 86
Kyle Meyer - 249
Anthony Clemmons - 315
Patrick Ingram - 318

2011 Average - 259
Aaron White - 169
Josh Oglesby - 175
Gabe Olaseni - 434

2010 Average - 241
Melsahn Basabe - 192
Bryce Cartwright - 248
Devyn Marble - 257
Zach McCabe - 267

2009 Average - 235
Brennan Cougill - 191
Cully Payne - 204
Eric May - 220
Andrew Brommer - 326

So the last two seasons are frans 2 best classes?

Not a chance. Do you realize the difference between the 150th ranked recruit and the 208th ranked recruit? It's huge.

I really hope the not liking Fredrick thing is as much of a joke as I think...

There's a lot that I shake my head at on this board, but the one that gets me most is pretty much crossing off a recruit or saying you don't like an 18 year old who has done nothing in the college ranks yet. The comparison that has become to Fredrick of Oglesby, Ellingson, etc. is more off base than you think. Oglesby is a little similar in that they were ranked around the same number and rated about the same by 247, but Oglesby didn't have many, if any other big offers except Iowa. Ellingson was rated about 100 or so spots lower than Fredrick with 0 other P6 offers. Fredrick was offered by a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament this year in Xavier, Indiana who's historically pretty good at identifying talent, Penn State, and had interest from Butler. All those programs have either historically or as of late been pretty good at identifying talent. Obviously we'll have to watch and see, but in my personal opinion Fredrick is even a different style of player than the latter.

Please just give the kid a chance. Mentally weak or not, but if you're coming into a program and half the population already "hates you" or is crossing you off before you've even stepped foot on campus that does not reflect on the school or fan base.