Minnesota PG Tyrell Terry Strengthening Bond with Hawkeyes

We don't know either way. Just my opinion

I'm sure Kentucky's walk on team would be Iowa's but Iowa's starting team would beat Kentucky's walk on team by 20+, even as bad as we were last year. If a walk on is that good, most likely he'd take a scholarship somewhere else and play.

I just watched the best guard in the NCAA play for UMBC (Jairus Lyles). He was the 197th ranked recruit in 2013. CJ's ranking means nothing and neither does Kentucky high school basketball. Granted the state of Kentucky high school ball does render subsequent state awards rather meaningless. Greatness can come from anywhere at any time. We won't know anything about CJ until he has had time at Iowa to prove or develop his worth. There is no reason to write the kid off, but there is no reason to break out the trumpeters either. I think "luke warm" is about the best way to describe how we should feel about CJ and is likely how we should feel about the aggregate Iowa recruit.

Some get you real excited like a Woodbury, Cook or Wieskamp. Others are just a regular recruit. Some will suprise and some will disappoint. Either way they are hawks and they have my support until they die or discredit the university.

Hear Hear

I think people would agree with you more if most of your posts weren't worded in a way that makes you sound like you are calling anyone other than the 1%'s trash.
I wouldn’t agree with him 1% of the time.

99% of the time he’s talking trash. 100% of the time he’s trolling

Laugh all you want Bobby, but he did play against Big starters in HS. One is 1st Team Big, another 2nd Team Big and a past Fresh of the year in another D1 Conference. Sorry you didn't have that experience :(

Then WTF not get him to Iowa City? Beyond Cook, I'm not sure we have anyone on the whole frigging team that can do that, at least not without an NBA-4-step takeoff.

My reference, though, was to the other thread, and someone answered "Video or it didn't happen". I then juxtaposed the meaning of the term "two hand", thus the reason I used it in quotes.

Laugh all you want Bobby, but he did play against Big starters in HS. One is 1st Team Big, another 2nd Team Big and a past Fresh of the year in another D1 Conference. Sorry you didn't have that experience :(

Oh, and I can one-hand on a Nerf hoop mounted on an interior door. With authority.

Being athletic enough to dunk isn't overrated though, especially with the roster we have!
I'm all for more athleticism on our roster, but could care less if a player can dunk. Lateral quickness and agility are where it's at. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson could barely dunk at 6'10" and 6'9" respectively, and both players are top 5 all-time greats.

We need better athletes, but we also need players that have the fundamentals of defense down, and also have the "want to" drive that makes great defensive players what they are.

I'm all for more athleticism on our roster, but could care less if a player can dunk. Lateral quickness and agility are where it's at. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson could barely dunk at 6'10" and 6'9" respectively, and both players are top 5 all-time greats.

We need better athletes, but we also need players that have the fundamentals of defense down, and also have the "want to" drive that makes great defensive players what they are.
2 things. "Lateral quickness and agility are where it's at." - absolutely.
"Larry Bird and Magic Johnson could barely dunk" - NO! Both men could dunk with relative ease. They just chose not to.

Haha get out of here man!

Not to mention, I've never seen Bird listed at 6'10"

Bird was taller than Magic, but most of it was hair. :)

bird_magic_gal.jpg

2 things. "Lateral quickness and agility are where it's at." - absolutely.
"Larry Bird and Magic Johnson could barely dunk" - NO! Both men could dunk with relative ease. They just chose not to.
Magic has stated in an interview that he used to get razzed by teammates for struggling to get above the rim. They could both dunk, yes, but neither were considered leapers. My point is that dunking is not a prerequisite to being a great basketball player. If you disagree, well, whatever.

Not to mention, I've never seen Bird listed at 6'10"
He and Magic were generally listed at 6'9" but it was pretty obvious that Bird was about an inch taller. At the end of the day, Magic was probably closer to 6'8" and Bird was probably a little over 6'9". Regardless, it's splitting hairs, but seeing them side by side, it's obvious that Bird is at least an inch taller.

Magic has stated in an interview that he used to get razzed by teammates for struggling to get above the rim. They could both dunk, yes, but neither were considered leapers. My point is that dunking is not a prerequisite to being a great basketball player. If you disagree, well, whatever.
I absolutely agree 100%. I've been explaining that very concept to NotsoGr8N8, in another thread. Running in a straight line and leaping to dunk a basketball, doesn't make you a great athlete! Especially when you are 6'5 with a 6'8 wingspan. James Daniels is gonna be a 1st round draft pick in the NFL because of his lateral athleticism. That man's an elite athlete and his bank account will soon reflect that fact. He probably can't dunk a basketball.

P.S. Magic wasn't a great leaper, that's true. But with his height and length, he could dunk fairly easily. Google it. You'll see.
Here's a picture of Larry Bird with a vertical leap. He could get up there a little. Of course, you can see how much higher Dr, J could get.
4c3325fb303e76b10d07e6e25aecf2c0.jpg

I absolutely agree 100%. I've been explaining that very concept to NotsoGr8N8, in another thread. Running in a straight line and leaping to dunk a basketball, doesn't make you a great athlete! Especially when you are 6'5 with a 6'8 wingspan. James Daniels is gonna be a 1st round draft pick in the NFL because of his lateral athleticism. That man's an elite athlete and his bank account will soon reflect that fact. He probably can't dunk a basketball.

P.S. Magic wasn't a great leaper, that's true. But with his height and length, he could dunk fairly easily. Google it. You'll see.
Here's a picture of Larry Bird with a vertical leap. He could get up there a little. Of course, you can see how much higher Dr, J could get.
4c3325fb303e76b10d07e6e25aecf2c0.jpg
Cool, and, yes, I completely agree with you. I've watched more of their games than I care to count, and still watch those match-ups on ESPN Classics. Great, great memories.

Yes, I've seen both dunk...more than once...but neither had true hops, and like I said, Magic used to get razzed by his teammates. I remember Michael Cooper laughing about it one time in an interview.

Larry's official vertical was 28" and Magic's was 30 (not exactly stellar), and, that was when they entered the league so it would have went down from there.

I remember a sports writer in the very early 80's talking about the black/caucasion polarity that existed at the time. Bird was the Great White Hope, and African Americans were somewhat offended by all the attention he was getting (which lead to the infamous Isaiah Thomas faux pas...). There was this talk that Bird had "white man's disease" and that Magic was easily better. The reporter then brought up the fact that Magic actually wasn't that great of an athlete in terms of jumping, and said something to the effect that, "black fans don't really want to discuss that..." He wasn't pointing it out in a negative way or defending Bird, per se, but it was more just a social observation.