Miller: Beathard's Go All In

Not so funny thought; CJ going to Arkansas, sitting a year, playing for Bielema. This isn't the 50s'/60s', times have changed. Trying to muzzle these young men just isn't going to work, good for CJ. I may trade in my black and gold, along with my UI degree for some red and white if this happens. And wait for Bielema's return.
If he wants more than one year he has to go fcs. And it won't be ill St unless he wants to sit there as well.

Personally I don't think the kid is a program changer that will unseat anyone anytime soon. Might be better going to a fcs program.

Jon I agree with almost everything thing you said. I also feel the last two paragraphs of your article are most apt:

"The build up for this bowl game has been pretty nonexistent to now…but Monday certainly ramped up the intrigue for a lot of people. Beathard said in the item that he and Jake have been even thus far during bowl prep. If that is the case, if they are truly even right now, I go with the guy who will be there two more years and has a skill set unlike any other quarterback in the Ferentz era.

It’s a fascinating move…one that I think has a predictable outcome. Having been around this block a time or two, I think I have a pretty good read on what Ferentz’s hole cards are. Status quo is the bet here."

Let's take the first paragraph first. Describing CJ's abilities as "...has a skill set unlike any other quarterback in the Ferentz era." I agree with you on this. But let's spell it out further: CJ has a skill above Banks, Tate and Stanzi. Yet, he sits on the bench and has no real opportunity to grow and mature as a player. Let's let that sink in.

The second paragraph defines what frustrates Iowa fans most: "Status quo..."

Very good article Jon.

Last edited:
So Ferentz's line every year is "that we'll evaluate where we are after the season" is sage wisdom.

But Beathard saying "I'll evaluate where I am after the season" is blackmailing or calling out the head coach?

A little consistency would be nice.

CJ didn't need to start this year to avoid all of this. But he did need to see significantly more snaps, and should have.

Both QBS are capable, both have shown that....JR goes into "funks" at times, and CJ should have been put in when it happens.

Hell, play both, hot hand stays. KF gave JR too much rope in a few games, and it hurt.

I wish we could have seen more CJ.

CJ didn't need to start this year to avoid all of this. But he did need to see significantly more snaps, and should have.

Both QBS are capable, both have shown that....JR goes into "funks" at times, and CJ should have been put in when it happens.

Hell, play both, hot hand stays. KF gave JR too much rope in a few games, and it hurt.

I wish we could have seen more CJ.

The thing is, Rudock brought us back against Ball State. That has probably always been in the back of Kirk's mind. I can't take him out now, what if he's about to turn it on again? I almost don't blame him for that thought process. Almost.

The thing is, Rudock brought us back against Ball State. That has probably always been in the back of Kirk's mind. I can't take him out now, what if he's about to turn it on again? I almost don't blame him for that thought process. Almost.

JR also lead Iowa to a deficit that required a two touchdown comeback in the last 5 minutes of the game. Keep in mind that BSU was in a prevent defense the last 5 minutes and up by 2 scores. No great shakes by JR. Glad he got it done, but he should have been able to prevent that situation in the first place.

Kirfer said the competition was open during August, he said it was open after the Pitt game, he said we were gonna possibly see a 2 QB system after Maryland, and he said it's been opened up in bowl practice. I guess you have to decide who you want to believe. A guy who's been here and doing this for 16 years or a guy who appears to have a foot halfway out the door.
KF said the competition was open after the PITT game but a media member that was in practice that following week, reported that JR took ALL 1st team snaps. How is that even remotely "open"? That's where I knew it was lip service from KF and nothing more. The ONLY reason we got Stanzi in 08' is because O'Keefe lobbied for it in private and he and KF had been working together long enough, KF listened. Nobody here to lobby for the right choice now, so we get JR.

I compare this situation to the Stanzi/Christensen era. While JR is much better than Christensen was, Christensen had to play his way out of the position before KF would make a move. So JR really hasn't done that so I don't expect a change. But, much like the Stanzi/Christensen time, some guys just have that "it" factor that seems to lift the team around them. Stanzi had it. I get the same feeling about CJ. Just one of those guys that with a little playing time and experience, could be an outstanding QB and bring the rest of the team with him.
If I recall correctly, I seem to recall hearing that Ken O'Keefe pushed for Stanzi as starter, behind the scene and KF finally relented. That story surfaced in 09' I believe.

He's not a DJK-like figure, and even if we ignored the personalities involved in this comparison, the circumstances aren't similar, either. So what the hell was your point?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree and I can do it without being a d I ck or pulling the Internet tough guy card. I see a similarity in the fact that in both cases the fans are quick to side with the player because the coach is smart enough not to comment on anything that a player says. Fans are quick to assume they know what is going on and how players are being handled internally.

maybe I am missing your point, but it seems you are ****** that Ferentz said he might play and then never got him in games. I agree that's a head scratcher to me. Hope that clears it up for you big guy.

JR also lead Iowa to a deficit that required a two touchdown comeback in the last 5 minutes of the game. Keep in mind that BSU was in a prevent defense the last 5 minutes and up by 2 scores. No great shakes by JR. Glad he got it done, but he should have been able to prevent that situation in the first place.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't defending him. Just pointing out his probable thought process.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't defending him. Just pointing out his probable thought process.

Got it, PC. Just need to make sure I hit the talking points. ;)

And you are probably correct in your description of kfootball's probable thought process. And it highlights kfootball's lack of...well, ballz.

Got it, PC. Just need to make sure I hit the talking points. ;)

And you are probably correct in your description of kfootball's probable thought process. And it highlights kfootball's lack of...well, ballz.

Doing nothing and hoping it gets better isn't a very good strategy in my opinion. Especially when you have a backup as capable as Beathard.

Doing nothing and hoping it gets better isn't a very good strategy in my opinion. Especially when you have a backup as capable as Beathard.
Agreed. Beathard deserved to play at least 1 full game from start to finish after the PITT game.

What if, just maybe, and we'll never know, but...what was promised to Rudduck's parents to sway them from the late dash for Jake from The U of Miami? I know they had some ties to Iowa, and the whole med school option, but what might of been KF's last bargaining chip? Loyal and trustworthy Kirk, may have "promised" one way or another that...."once Jake is ready and sees the field, I will not bench him going forward, no matter what"?

Probably didn't play out that exact way, but I can see a scenario where a backroom promise was made and reinforced as time passed. It's the only rationale conclusion I can see based on KF way of having it all play out...heck, he's comfortable, and JR was a pretty big land for Iowa at the time.

KF said the competition was open after the PITT game but a media member that was in practice that following week, reported that JR took ALL 1st team snaps. How is that even remotely "open"? That's where I knew it was lip service from KF and nothing more. The ONLY reason we got Stanzi in 08' is because O'Keefe lobbied for it in private and he and KF had been working together long enough, KF listened. Nobody here to lobby for the right choice now, so we get JR.

Now you are just making things up. Rudock was hurt the week after the Pitt game. Beathard started and played the whole Purdue game. Then there was a bye week.

Then Rudock started against Indiana and Iowa scored 38 points in the first half against Indiana.

S

I love what the Beathards did. Kirk deserves some heat. CJ might not be miles better than Jake but he only gives you the opportunity to win more games that we wouldn't or couldn't with Jake. If somehow CJ can play meaningful minutes and we do win the vaunted "BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP" then Gary and Kirk have their qb going forward. If not I think the heat that Kirk and Gary get going forward isn't going to settle like they want it to right after the bowl championship game. I think Kirk will have a couple of heated and uncomfortable press conferences and the fan base will rebel with a big more **** and vinegar. In a way this only helps all of us get closer to the end with Kirk unless CJ plays and plays well then we might be in for the full 6 years of Kirk.

The losses this year aren't on JR at all, they are on the coaching staff. The biggest issue with the team wasn't QB, it was and always has been the running game this year. The lack of of a RB who could punish the opposition from over pursuit just killed the offense. I think what the coaches refused to do, that they could have done is go all 2004 with CJ at the QB position. I thought this was obvious to see with the Purdue game, and that the only way to be successful during the month of November (our 5 hate games that month) was to give CJ the starting spot, and let him go all Drew Tate. CJ has the ability to go Drew Tate with the offense and JR does not.

It isn't a knock against JR. I think you give JR a good running game, and I would totally get why a coach would want him in as a game manager, the team might be better overall with him doing that. Yet what JR can't do is what CJ can do slinging it, and I think CJ hits Powell on a long bomb against Nebby, CJ finds a wide open KMM and hits him.

The thing that sucks is KF and the offense has done this in the past, so it really is something they were capable of......he was just unwilling this year.

Brought us back against Ball State? The only reason we needed to be brought back was inability at the QB position through 3.9 quarters of play. Scoring two touchdowns against a weak team in 4 quarters of play is absolutely nothing to keep in the back of your mind as a positive thought. Wow.

Latest posts