Miller: Beathard's Go All In

At this point he is just being difficult. A lot of us believe CJ is better, or at the very least we could have gone 7-5 with him and he has more upside. You cannot deny that he has more physical ability! And he will be here longer. So if you are going to be mediocre, at least play the guy that has some hope of pulling you out of mediocrity.

On a side note, I get tired of hearing about Jake's knowledge of the offense and his checks at the line. 95% of the time when he changes the play, most people know where it's going. It doesn't matter how well you know the offense if you can't hit open guys down the field. And if the offense is so complicated that our play makers can't get on the field, then simplify it. I swear the program just lacks common sense.

Should i I apologize for "being difficult" and expressing my thoughts/take? Should I automatically do it every time my views don't align with yours?

My my point is simple. JR and CJB only play QB. It doesn't matter who plays that spot if the other players around him (including defense and special teams) are lacking. I've also mentioned before that the defense wasn't good enough this year to be put into spots due to poor QB play, and that's likely the reason KirFer sent with the safer choice.

Devaluing the QB position as you do it akin to devaluing gasoline in a motor engine. It won't work.

Somebody mentioned this earlier, are you just here being obtuse? The comments you make appear to come from somebody who hasn't watched football before?

It's so unfortunate that there were so many dropped passes in the first half of the Purdue game. If not for those, CJ would be so unbelievably far ahead of Rudock in any measurable way. Because of those, people always point to that one stretch as proof that CJ isn't necessarily better.

Minor point... CJB wasn't exactly on target with all of his throws that game. Several were behind the receivers or late (especially the pick 6).

Without a doubt, CJB has a stronger arm (especially in the long ball). The reason he has a strong arm is not the reason he is not starting

Actually on this particular situation the coaches bear 50% of the blame. I wish every COACHING position was open for competition. Right Kirk....doesn't that make everyone better? Oh wait you basically were given a lifetime contract without having to perform! How's that working out?

Eda, you took a specific comment and made it into a generalization. That is your fault. I will give you an "atta-boy" for your use of a straw man argument.

Strawman? Not really. Your comments specifically said JR put us into that position and his play through the game is what led to us being behind.

There were many things that led to us to being in that position.

Devaluing the QB position as you do it akin to devaluing gasoline in a motor engine. It won't work.

Somebody mentioned this earlier, are you just here being obtuse? The comments you make appear to come from somebody who hasn't watched football before?

I've watched plenty of football. Thank you. Tell me how a change at quarterback will help the defense make a stop. Tell me how to change of quarterback will make the line block better? Tell me how a change of quarterback made any difference against minny.

Again… I apologize for "being difficult" or "obtuse".

Minor point... CJB wasn't exactly on target with all of his throws that game. Several were behind the receivers or late (especially the pick 6).

Without a doubt, CJB has a stronger arm (especially in the long ball). The reason he has a strong arm is not the reason he is not starting

The pick 6 was bad (every qb has bad throws) but most if not all the drops were easy catches. As far as speaking your mind goes, keep it up. The board is boring if everyone agrees.

I've watched plenty of football. Thank you. Tell me how a change at quarterback will help the defense make a stop. Tell me how to change of quarterback will make the line block better? Tell me how a change of quarterback made any difference against minny.

It won't help those be better. It will help make up for those though. 4 of our loses came down to making a couple more plays. The plays were there to make and Rudock missed them. Sure other positions on the field could have made the plays too, but who do we put in to replace them? We have a very good option at QB, we don't at other backup positions. If Weigers was our primary backup, the complaining about the QB position would blend in with every other complaint instead of being at the forefront.

CJB does make the opposing defense play differently. It's hard to run block against 8 or 9 man fronts. Look at the difference in the Pitt game. Look at how they were forced to play because they knew the guy under center would throw it down field more. It opens everything up. With JR in there, we were playing in a phone booth.

When CJB played there was a difference in the offense. That is not up for debate. You could argue that we wouldn't have won any more games. While I disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. But if we are going to go 7-5 no matter who the quarterback is, why not go with the guy who has more physical ability and more time to play and learn?

We need a lot of stuff, QB is on the list, up there pretty high, but below an upgrade at HC and OC. It would make a difference though. Watch the NFL lately? See Arizona Cardinals, see Patriots, see the Pack, see KC? QB can make a huge impact, suddenly the team is great or sucks. We need some more good decisions within the program and less bad ones. Shift this a few decisions here and there and we could easily be sitting on a 9-3 season right now.

I am going to be very sad if we lose our best QB, as next year is starting to build up as a close repeat of this year, likely worse, with the ugliest schedule I've ever seen. I gotta get a back up plan for Hawk football!

CJB does make the opposing defense play differently. It's hard to run block against 8 or 9 man fronts. Look at the difference in the Pitt game. Look at how they were forced to play because they knew the guy under center would throw it down field more. It opens everything up. With JR in there, we were playing in a phone booth.

When CJB played there was a difference in the offense. That is not up for debate. You could argue that we wouldn't have won any more games. While I disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. But if we are going to go 7-5 no matter who the quarterback is, why not go with the guy who has more physical ability and more time to play and learn?

Most of us agree with you here.

The pick 6 was bad (every qb has bad throws) but most if not all the drops were easy catches. As far as speaking your mind goes, keep it up. The board is boring if everyone agrees.

First to the bolded part: Thanks man. Often on here it seems as though if someone has a different opinion than yours, you automatically know nothing of football. I enjoy the back-and-forth with several on here... Sometime ().

As for his passes, agreed some were on target. I do recall some being behind receivers. One specifically, the TE bailed him out and still made the catch. I'd have to rewatch the game to be sure (since I have them all on DvR, I will be doing that during the offseason-several times)

First to the bolded part: Thanks man. Often on here it seems as though if someone has a different opinion than yours, you automatically know nothing of football. I enjoy the back-and-forth with several on here... Sometime ().

As for his passes, agreed some were on target. I do recall some being behind receivers. One specifically, the TE bailed him out and still made the catch. I'd have to rewatch the game to be sure (since I have them all on DvR, I will be doing that during the offseason-several times)
I don't want to put words in your mouth but I think you are saying that CJB is not the savior that some of us make him out to be. And if that's what you are saying, fair point. And Jake is a great kid who has done a lot of the program is something that also needs to be said. In my opinion, CJ has more talent and was just as effective in limited action has Jake. He hasn't played as much, so there would be some ups and downs with him, but in the long run playing CJB would have done the program more harm than good.

tumblr_liw0c51Gub1qge5eo.gif

Both quarterbacks were throwing it down field. That was obviously part of the game plan. There was no playing in the phone booth. In fact, JR had a big completion to Vandy that set up the first TD. Also, he tossed a long ball to DP that Powell flicked to the defender for the INT.

Ask yourself this, and give an honest answer… If JR completes that pass to Powell and CJ misses his ball to Powell would the rhetoric from that game be the same?

One more fun little game here (since we have time to kill before the bowl game, right-lol)... If you switch Powell's completion from CJ's to JR's the yardage and yards per pass are nearly identical.

Both quarterbacks were throwing it down field. That was obviously part of the game plan. There was no playing in the phone booth. In fact, JR had a big completion to Vandy that set up the first TD. Also, he tossed a long ball to DP that Powell flicked to the defender for the INT.

Ask yourself this, and give an honest answer… If JR completes that pass to Powell and CJ misses his ball to Powell would the rhetoric from that game be the same?

One more fun little game here (since we have time to kill before the bowl game, right-lol)... If you switch Powell's completion from CJ's to JR's the yardage and yards per pass are nearly identical.
Everything you are saying is true, BUT, look at how the defense is playing against both quarterbacks. If you still have it on DVR look at the press coverage, load the box mentality that PITT had when JR was in the game vs. when CJB was in. They knew that CJB was a bigger threat to throw the ball down the field. I don't remember, but I believe there was at least one big PI penalty because CJ threw it down the field. He has a stronger arm; throws a better deep ball. Listen to former quarterbacks if you won't believe some random dude on a message board. I'm not making it up. The bottom line is, we were getting our butt handed to us when JR was the QB, and we won the game with CJB as the QB. That's all that matters. The team had more life. We lost to one of the worst teams in the country with JR, and squeezed out a victory against another really bad opponent. We looked bad again during the first half of Purdue, but pulled away and won that game easily as well. We should have let CJ play until we lost a game with him. The one advantage JR has is experience. CJB should have had the opportunity to close that gap this year.

I think i see where you are coming from here and am glad to see this is not just a trolling attempt.

I think the difference in our thought process is that you seem to compartmentalize the positions as though they do not have any significant bearing on the other. An upgrade at QB would, in theory, turn our several 3-and-outs into more sustained drives thus not even giving our defence the option of not being up-to-snuff as they are sitting on their heinies. Same w/ the kickers. I too think there are general upgrades that could be made and this could be said for every team ever but the issue here is that we have a now known commodity that is stuck in pergatory cause KF is gutless and unwilling to adapt. What's more infuriating is that "people who won't know as much about football as KF has in his little finger" are easily picking out that we are playing the personel.

Now you are just making things up. Rudock was hurt the week after the Pitt game. Beathard started and played the whole Purdue game. Then there was a bye week.

Then Rudock started against Indiana and Iowa scored 38 points in the first half against Indiana.

S
Then I am not recalling the game correctly. Maybe it was the week after the PUR game. I'm certainly not the only poster remembering this instance. I concede my memory isn't correct but I am in no way making it up.

Edit: Found it. It was a Marc Morehouse tweet before the Indiana game. This was after KF claimed both QBs would play and that the competition was open in his tues presser.
https://twitter.com/marcmorehouse/status/519544410950742016

Last edited:
CJ Beathard is starting the bowl game via Mitch King and Matt Kroul. Have a buddy that knows them. Not trolling just relaying what I heard.

Latest posts