Miller: Beathard's Go All In

I don't want to put words in your mouth but I think you are saying that CJB is not the savior that some of us make him out to be. And if that's what you are saying, fair point. And Jake is a great kid who has done a lot of the program is something that also needs to be said. In my opinion, CJ has more talent and was just as effective in limited action has Jake. He hasn't played as much, so there would be some ups and downs with him, but in the long run playing CJB would have done the program more harm than good.

More or less I don't feel CJB is the savior that others make him out to be. And I think JR gets a bad rap from morans who know very little about the football. JR is a good QB. But I also feel CJB is a good QB. Certianly CJB has a tremendous arm on the deep ball (better than JR's obviously). But I also think the two are somewhat comparable on short/intermediate throws. I really like what CJB physically brings to the table (and I loved those quick passes to the receivers he was throwing against Pitt/Purdue). The one major thing that I think was keeping him from getting more playing time was because he was always going deep when there was an underneath route wide open. Or checking into the proper play at the line. Those sort of plays (when not completed) cost the offense a play and can add up to putting the D in vulnerable spots; which has been our Achilles all season. Although he has looked somewhat better this year, compared go last; he still appears have room to improve in that regard.

More or less I don't feel CJB is the savior that others make him out to be. And I think JR gets a bad rap from morans who know very little about the football. JR is a good QB. But I also feel CJB is a good QB. Certianly CJB has a tremendous arm on the deep ball (better than JR's obviously). But I also think the two are somewhat comparable on short/intermediate throws. I really like what CJB physically brings to the table (and I loved those quick passes to the receivers he was throwing against Pitt/Purdue). The one major thing that I think was keeping him from getting more playing time was because he was always going deep when there was an underneath route wide open. Or checking into the proper play at the line. Those sort of plays (when not completed) cost the offense a play and can add up to putting the D in vulnerable spots; which has been our Achilles all season. Although he has looked somewhat better this year, compared go last; he still appears have room to improve in that regard.[/QUOTE

Moran? Classic. JR is a good QB? I think you're the "Moran".

Who cares anymore. CJ or Jake, who do you play? What a soap opera. In fact I have decided to look forward towards the dawn of Iowas new quarterback in a couple of years if he is healthy and that being one Tyler Wiegers. He's going to be the sleepy giant that emerges from this whole mess;). Merry Christmas to everybody in Hawkeyenation, you guys are the best, wouldn't trade anyone of you, you all bring something to this forum.

Because it's so clear that CJ is the starter his senior year, it really shows what the Beathard's think of Kirk's decision making skills when they say there is no guarantees he will start his senior year. They just as well say "Kirk might screw us in 2 years too".

wow, that's how I took that line also. That's exactly what he meant. His Dad's mindset is one of no trust in KF. Crazy.

The losses this year aren't on JR at all, they are on the coaching staff. The biggest issue with the team wasn't QB, it was and always has been the running game this year. The lack of of a RB who could punish the opposition from over pursuit just killed the offense. I think what the coaches refused to do, that they could have done is go all 2004 with CJ at the QB position. I thought this was obvious to see with the Purdue game, and that the only way to be successful during the month of November (our 5 hate games that month) was to give CJ the starting spot, and let him go all Drew Tate. CJ has the ability to go Drew Tate with the offense and JR does not.

It isn't a knock against JR. I think you give JR a good running game, and I would totally get why a coach would want him in as a game manager, the team might be better overall with him doing that. Yet what JR can't do is what CJ can do slinging it, and I think CJ hits Powell on a long bomb against Nebby, CJ finds a wide open KMM and hits him.

The thing that sucks is KF and the offense has done this in the past, so it really is something they were capable of......he was just unwilling this year.

Lol, I read your first line the losses aren't JR fault its coaching staff. I almost threw up in my mouth and blasted you! Glad I read the your entire post, right? Your exactly right. I might add that nearly every pass play has a deep option
, JR simply chooses to go to the short option 90% of the time. CJB would choose the intermediate and long option 40% of the time witch would stretch the field completed or not and open up the running lanes. This is a JR problem because I just don't think he trusts his arm.

Last edited:
I've watched plenty of football. Thank you. Tell me how a change at quarterback will help the defense make a stop. Tell me how to change of quarterback will make the line block better? Tell me how a change of quarterback made any difference against minny.

Again… I apologize for "being difficult" or "obtuse".

Wow, that's an easy one. Better QB, offense better, increasing first downs, increasing time of possession, leads to la less tired defense. QB with a faster release and stronger arm means line needs to a hold blocks for less time; also a QB who goes down field means the other team does not stake the box and put the o line in impossible positions. Please FB is a game of momentum, a better QB could have changed the Minny dynamic from the beginning.

Thank you for playing.

My my point is simple. JR and CJB only play QB. It doesn't matter who plays that spot if the other players around him (including defense and special teams) are lacking. I've also mentioned before that the defense wasn't good enough this year to be put into spots due to poor QB play, and that's likely the reason KirFer sent with the safer choice.

Is it fact that JR is really a safer choice?

Their INT % is about the same. 5 in 337 attempts for JR. 1 in 69 attempts for CJB. Plus JR had a couple huge fumbles.

Is it fact that JR is really a safer choice?

Their INT % is about the same. 5 in 337 attempts for JR. 1 in 69 attempts for CJB. Plus JR had a couple huge fumbles.

INT's aren't the only mistake s QB can make.

No but most people assume that CJ's gunslinger mentality leads to interceptions and that's why he doesn't play. We see all the other mistakes Rudock consistantly makes like not seeing wide open recievers and bad throws to the ones he sees. Since we see him do that, the mistakes we assume CJ makes is more INT's.

No kidding! There's also throwing short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down. If there was a category for highest completion % on 3rd down without making a 1st down, JR would lead the nation.

--------CJB basically said he gets to play or he's taking his ball and going home; and nobody has a problem with that?

A: NOPE!

If we are to believe the post of BoWallace and CJ is starting, I GUARANTEE you that it is Barta driven....NO WAY KF makes this decision given that he feels that he's being blackmailed. Barta for the FIRST time is feeling pressure from several different sources, and has to be in CYA mode no matter his prom date type relationship with KF. Maybe this type of 180 degree behavior on Barta's part will be enough for KF to say "I've had enough"....we can only hope.

If we are to believe the post of BoWallace and CJ is starting, I GUARANTEE you that it is Barta driven....NO WAY KF makes this decision given that he feels that he's being blackmailed. Barta for the FIRST time is feeling pressure from several different sources, and has to be in CYA mode no matter his prom date type relationship with KF. Maybe this type of 180 degree behavior on Barta's part will be enough for KF to say "I've had enough"....we can only hope.

If you think Barta is calling the shots on who KF starts or plays, you are offically biggest idiot on this site.

NO, NO, NO.....I still think the two of them date....and I STILL think NOBODY tells KF what to do. HOWEVER, I think Barta feels IMMENSE pressure for various reasons, and it would not surprise me if he has begged KF to do ANYTHING to spark interest in this dead program. And the ONLY thing KF could do at this late date to spark ANY interest is to start JC. I think the chances are slim at best....I'm just saying that if it happens, it wasn't because KF wanted it to happen. He probably feels some sort of obligation to Barta for Fort Knox landing in his lap after winning a "Bowl Championship" in 2010 agaisnt a so-so ACC team. KF has to know that he and Barta will be dying together.

If you think Barta is calling the shots on who KF starts or plays, you are offically biggest idiot on this site.

^correct. A. I think Ferentz is indeed felling the pressure. B. I think after two straight losses even Ferentz realizes a change could be necessary?

This is his call, and it's not that impossible he could finally be making the right one.

NO, NO, NO.....I still think the two of them date....and I STILL think NOBODY tells KF what to do. HOWEVER, I think Barta feels IMMENSE pressure for various reasons, and it would not surprise me if he has begged KF to do ANYTHING to spark interest in this dead program. And the ONLY thing KF could do at this late date to spark ANY interest is to start JC. I think the chances are slim at best....I'm just saying that if it happens, it wasn't because KF wanted it to happen. He probably feels some sort of obligation to Barta for Fort Knox landing in his lap after winning a "Bowl Championship" in 2010 agaisnt a so-so ACC team. KF has to know that he and Barta will be dying together.

Ok, so you slightly changed it. What I don't get is why the derpage at all? I mean seriously the extent some will go to on here to believe that KF has no desire to win games is beyond stupid. I want change as much as anyone around here, but that doesn't mean I have to suspend intelligent thinking and have to start concocting some massive behind the scenes power play by Barta or some donors to make KF play CJ.....in belief that then Iowa can rise from the ash like a PHOENIX.

Some of you Wastelander Alts are just beyond dumb. If KF actually starts or plays CJ after what he and his dad said, it means that KF had planed on playing him all along and has finally realized the team is better with CJ at QB. KF isn't going to be bullied, or threatened by anyone into giving someone a starting job.

Is your real life filled with this much drama, sub-plots, conspiracies or is it just what you image others live life from day to day.

Interesting take. So we'll also not place any blame on the rest of the offense or kicking game. So after participating in this thread I've noticed we are placing all the blame on JR for all the losses, but also not getting credit for the wins (because he "put us into a bad position" during the win). Got it.

I agree with your assessment of the posts here. I'd also add that the popular opinion for all coaches is that the players win the games (a lot of times in spite of the coaches) and the coaches lose them. Most posters here have turned that around and blame JR for all the losses and don't really have a reason for the Hawks winning 7 games this year (because they claim the coaching staff is also bad).

Yeah, it was a disappointing season. But to lay the losses at the feet of one player is just simplistic. We have way too many weaknesses on this team to drop all the blame on Jake.

Latest posts