Miller: Beathard's Go All In

How so? CJB has the right to transfer (this is not against NCAA rules) and find a situation that is better for him personally, if he feels that's what he should do. You only get one shot at being an athlete, so I can't blame a guy for looking out for himself and trying to make the most of it while he still has time.

Let's wait to see if CJB actually transfers, but in light of this interview, I think the odds are extremely high that he's gone. I'm sure he didn't just join KF's inner-circle by doing this, so there's that, too.

At least CJB and his dad were honest about it up front. That's refreshing. Especially with all the "he could, "he might", "we'll see" and "that's football" comments that come from this program.

Also, I hope I'm not correct about this, but he and his dad doing a newspaper and radio interview may be a sign he's not starting or playing much in the bowl game and he'll be announcing he is transferring after the game. Again, hope I am 100% incorrect.

fmw23.jpg

This is pure f'ing genius. Kudos to you sir. A much needed laugh given the dismal state of affairs right now.

CJ gone. Good luck!

Soo disheartening to think of what the next 6 (SIX!!!) years are going to look like:
2015: That's football!
2016: That's football!
2017: That's football!
2018: That's football!
2019: That's football!
2020: That's football!

How so? CJB has the right to transfer (this is not against NCAA rules) and find a situation that is better for him personally, if he feels that's what he should do. You only get one shot at being an athlete, so I can't blame a guy for looking out for himself and trying to make the most of it while he still has time.

Let's wait to see if CJB actually transfers, but in light of this interview, I think the odds are extremely high that he's gone. I'm sure he didn't just join KF's inner-circle by doing this, so there's that, too.

This discussion is not about his "right" to transfer. We all know he had the "right" to transfer. It's about him coming out with what basically is an ultimatum.

CJ gone. Good luck!

Soo disheartening to think of what the next 6 (SIX!!!) years are going to look like:
2015: That's football!
2016: That's football!
2017: That's football!
2018: That's football!
2019: That's football!
2020: That's football!
KF won't be here the full 6 years unless he makes a miraculous turnaround in the next 2 years. Steve is a Sophomore, so KF won't leave on his own for sure until his son is gone. After that, if we keep on the current path we are on, he will either step down, or eventually fired before his contract is up when the buy out is more affordable. He should step away before then to save face, but we all know how stubborn he is.

If things are equal you play the guy with the higher upside for the next 2 years. If you're happy with 7-5 or worse next year, stick with Jake Rudock.

So we're going to put all the losses on JR? Got it, kthx.

This discussion is not about his "right" to transfer. We all know he had the "right" to transfer. It's about him coming out with what basically is an ultimatum.

As others have said, under normal circumstances this might be frowned upon. But Beathard has been pretty thoroughly (and publicly) jerked around by this coaching staff. And if this helps push us closer to the kind of change that we need (either Beathard under center or Ferentz gone), then I'm all for it.

Of course not, but let's ask a couple of questions:

1. Could Iowa have gone at least 7-5 with CJ?
2. Who has more physical ability and upside?
3. Which QB has more years of eligibility left?
4. If the answer is Yes to #1 and CJ for #2 and #3, then why wouldn't you start CJ in the bowl game and make him the QB of the future?

They aren't all on him directly. But there are things C.J. can do that Jake can't, and that could be the difference in at least a few of those losses.

Not all the losses are on him directly....but in all of our losses, how many consecutive 3&Outs did the offense muster? Wasn't it something like 9/10 against Maryland, and over 5 against MN, WI, and NE?

The Maryland game was a blowout, and they nearly blew it by allowing us to come back with prevent defense. MN was as well, but they kept their foot on the pedal.

WI, and NE....absolutely JR could have done more to win those games. NE especially with costly turnovers inside the 10 yard line that would have completely sealed the game.

2nd half of WI, he was on fire. But we never saw that for an entire game. It was only when we were down by double digits could he flip the switch (minus MN)

In my opinion, the most damning quote of all was when Kirk said that Jake won the job last August. It's damning to the fact that he lied to CJ and it's damning to the fact other players never get a fair chance to take away a starting spot until a guy graduates.

They aren't all on him directly. But there are things C.J. can do that Jake can't, and that could be the difference in at least a few of those losses.

I agree, but people act like this a JC/Stanzi type deal. This isnt even close to that. You can win football games with Jake Rudock and you can win them with CJ Beathard. Until Iowa shores up the other **** like getting a legit Big Ten RB, a legit punter, not blowing coverage on the back end on defense, etc.............Im not sure it matters who is taking the snaps. I think both QBs are very poorly coached at Iowa. Both look confused and not confident. Beathard can get away with it a little more because of his arm strength(3rd down play at Pitt). He can throw late and still get the ball in, Rudock cant, it would be picked or underthrown.

In my opinion, the most damning quote of all was when Kirk said that Jake won the job last August. It's damning to the fact that he lied to CJ and it's damning to the fact other players never get a fair chance to take away a starting spot until a guy graduates.

KF's philosophy is to make a decision and then stick with it no matter how dumb it turns out to be. Players change and can get better or worse, even if he had it right back then. It's really irrelevant what happened 1.5 years ago.

Of course not, but let's ask a couple of questions:

1. Could Iowa have gone at least 7-5 with CJ?
2. Who has more physical ability and upside?
3. Which QB has more years of eligibility left?
4. If the answer is Yes to #1 and CJ for #2 and #3, then why wouldn't you start CJ in the bowl game and make him the QB of the future?

Perhaps because he's publicly challenged you a couple of times in the media? I have coached at both the high school and college level and I can guarantee you, publicly calling out the coach is not the way to get more playing time.

Perhaps because he's publicly challenged you a couple of times in the media? I have coached at both the high school and college level and I can guarantee you, publicly calling out the coach is not the way to get more playing time.

I've asked this before and never got an answer. How was CJ supposed to know he was supposed to lie about the Willies situation. Do people think Kirk called a team meeting and said "this is the story I'm giving. Everyone back me up"? Or do people think that just because we follow what a coach says to the media, players do too?

I think this last time sealed his fate, but I understand why he did it. KF has jerked this guy around too much and he's had enough. I wouldn't do it, but I don't blame him.

I've asked this before and never got an answer. How was CJ supposed to know he was supposed to lie about the Willies situation. Do people think Kirk called a team meeting and said "this is the story I'm giving. Everyone back me up"? Or do people think that just because we follow what a coach says to the media, players do too?

People exaggerate what CJ said to. The reporter asked CJ directly if playing time was the issue and CJ said that may have been part of it. That's it. Any player not starting wants more playing time. No big news there.

Last edited:

Exactly

I don't necessarily agree with publicly calling out the head coach, but this appears to be more of CJ's dad doing this than CJ himself.

I wish the interview had never happened, because CJ's career at Iowa is over. I don't see any way he gets to play in the bowl game now....even if Jake gets hurt....as I can see Kirk putting Wiegers in instead.

Not that CJ had much chance to play anyway...but had this interview not taken place, I can see him being given a token series in the second half, or seeing garbage time.

But I can understand what's going on here. CJ knows he's been jerked around. He wants to play, and he feels he is better than Jake. He knows that...no matter what Kirk may say about the QB job being open next season...that Jake will still be the QB. I'm sure CJ has pretty much made up his mind to transfer, because there is no way he plays in the bowl game now.

Latest posts