Milestone

It seems like Bill Maher has really shifted a bit more to the right on a few things I've heard him talk about recently. He was way off to the left on pretty much all subjects years ago and now has toned it down some. Either he is waking up or he is figuring out that it's a better avenue for his celebrity shitick to align a bit better with the right at this time. It could be that.
He says he's still the same and the left has moved.

I understand your points. Thanks. My points previously, which were not well taken, were that nearly 100% of people dying now with Covid are unvaccinated.

I know and appreciate that people will refuse vaccinations and they are exercising their freedom to do so. I know that people understand that they are assuming risks for long covid and other complications, but have made the decision that maybe the vaccine is more risky.
It's surprising to hear you say that nearly 100% of deaths are unvaccinated because i see all sorts of stuff that says that's nowhere near accurate.

I understand your points. Thanks. My points previously, which were not well taken, were that nearly 100% of people dying now with Covid are unvaccinated.

I know and appreciate that people will refuse vaccinations and they are exercising their freedom to do so. I know that people understand that they are assuming risks for long covid and other complications, but have made the decision that maybe the vaccine is more risky.
If covid were eradicable I'd probably be for it being one of the required vaccines.

But what people don't understand is that this is just a constantly mutating respiratory virus that has the potential to be really severe in people who are unhealthy by their own choice. Like the Spanish Flu, a couple years on and we have ridden the waves in ever decreasing severity to the point that life has resumed mostly normal with herd immunity. Like it always was going to.

Again, and this point can't be overstated...if people want to protect themselves from covid, a vaccine isn't the answer. Putting down the McDoubles, 72 oz fountain pop, and Marlboros and going for a walk twice a day are the answers. Vaccines and boosters for URI viruses are just an endless merry go round of mutations and new shots that will never stop. We have to live with it and hope it's another 100 years before one like this happens again.

We are very similar in our thoughts on covid but you have had three shots and I never got one. At one point I was at a walk in place to get it and I ran out of time so left. Since then I've always had a reason to not pull the trigger on getting it, but that reason has changed a few times over the past year. Right now the main reason is my opinion on how fast it it becomes ineffective. I don’t want to continuously get shots so to me there isn't much point in even getting one.

That leads to my question to you. Will you continue to get boosters as they roll them out? If so, how close of a decision is it for you to continue to risk getting them (even tho it's a small risk) since you cleary think covid is a small risk to you? If you are 3 shots and done, why aren't you getting more? Because you're not concerned with the waining efficiency or because you've changed your mind on the risk/reward of it?

I'm just curious on your thoughts on all of that since our thoughts are so similar on covid yet we chose different routes with the vaccine. I feel like if I would have gotten the 2 vaccines I would have quit there and probably ended up having buyer's remorse. Like there was no point since the first 2 basically offer little to no protection now and covid will be around forever.
I got the vaccine for a few reasons.

1) I simply don't like to get sick. It's not enjoyable to me to cough and have a fever.

2) My employer had a policy that if you tested positive for covid you had to work remotely for 2 weeks. I hate working remotely.

Now that the mass hysteria is over and people/companies/etc. aren't being crazy about testing and quarantining, I most likely won't get the booster unless it's free. The variants out there right now don't seem to be stopped very well by the vaccine anyway, and the current variants are faaaaaar less severe. Which is what happens with herd immunity eventually. I.e. Spanish flu.

It's surprising to hear you say that nearly 100% of deaths are unvaccinated because i see all sorts of stuff that says that's nowhere near accurate.
Thanks. I tend to listen to active daily data at work (large medical center with daily covid epi reports, as well as LA county data, and Covid Act Now data --(consortium of Harvard, Georgetown, and IT companies).

In my large academic hospital (we employ 32,000 people, so it's not a tiny place), I receive daily reports of covid positive staff, covid positive patients, ICU cases, death rates, etc. So, in my area (not to discount other reports... the vast majority of deaths are in the unvaccinated at this point.

This is a little bit older data, but takes us to the end of last year. It's not perfect data but it represents information from 25 participating health departments (courtesy of CDC). It' honestly a very large difference. Of course, to others' points, comorbidities play a large role, but that has been at least mildly misrepresented on this (very conservative) forum. Folks here say that the only thing that matters is lifestyle and age. While that's true to a point, vaccinations still matter, whether some here choose to see that or not.

Thank you all for the conversation. I'm headed into a big week of work so if I don't reply it's because I'm actually working :)

1653329248962.png

There are also those who believe the vax makes things worse with widespread use.

Also that nearly 100 percent of people dying are unvaxed is currently patently false, especially among the elderly.

Last edited:
If covid were eradicable I'd probably be for it being one of the required vaccines.

But what people don't understand is that this is just a constantly mutating respiratory virus that has the potential to be really severe in people who are unhealthy by their own choice. Like the Spanish Flu, a couple years on and we have ridden the waves in ever decreasing severity to the point that life has resumed mostly normal with herd immunity. Like it always was going to.

Again, and this point can't be overstated...if people want to protect themselves from covid, a vaccine isn't the answer. Putting down the McDoubles, 72 oz fountain pop, and Marlboros and going for a walk twice a day are the answers. Vaccines and boosters for URI viruses are just an endless merry go round of mutations and new shots that will never stop. We have to live with it and hope it's another 100 years before one like this happens again.

Can't agree more! This is when it becomes Russian Roulette. With the scientist tweaking the vaccines chasing the mutations, the odds of something going haywire or bad increase over time. It's just the percentages and bound to happen at some point. I think this is much more dangerous than relying on herd immunity and living with the mutations.

Not true. In late April, it was concluded that 42% of the deaths in the January and February wave were from "fully vaccinated" people.

Covid deaths no longer overwhelmingly among the unvaccinated - The Washington Post

The vaccinated made up 42 percent of fatalities in January and February during the highly contagious omicron variant’s surge, compared with 23 percent of the dead in September, the peak of the delta wave, according to nationwide data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed by The Post.

Also that nearly 100 percent of people dying are unvaxed is currently patently false, especially among the elderly.

Yeah, they said 42% of deaths were vaxxed in January and February. My mother in law recently died from The Germ and she was max vaxxed. She was 84 and had blood cancer that was in remission and because of her condition she literally hadn't been anywhere bince February of 2020 other than the doctor's office and no one had been to their house in 2 years. She got The Germ 9 days after being boosted and presumably caught The Germ while getting boosted because that was the only place she had been in over 30 days. She got a light bout of pneumonia and never got vented or anything but her immune system completely shut down.

Yeah, they said 42% of deaths were vaxxed in January and February. My mother in law recently died from The Germ and she was max vaxxed. She was 84 and had blood cancer that was in remission and because of her condition she literally hadn't been anywhere bince February of 2020 other than the doctor's office and no one had been to their house in 2 years. She got The Germ 9 days after being boosted and presumably caught The Germ while getting boosted because that was the only place she had been in over 30 days. She got a light bout of pneumonia and never got vented or anything but her immune system completely shut down.
Sorry to hear.
What drives me nuts is the false info from both sides. I get there being a false crowd in the anti vax and more definitely the COVID deniers, but the Govt lying about many things has just got to stop. Our bribery PAC system is terrible.

If we don't we will go more of the way of Ukraine and Russian. As I've said before, the real problem in this war is that one corrupt mafia state invaded another which had some recent pro west leanings. I feel bad for my friends. I also feel bad for those who have died of COVID. But in the end there are responsibilities. One guy, a business associate wasn't morbidly obese, but significantly overweight. A non smoker, he had severe heart disease. He was very anti vax and pretty much sort of a denier. Nicest guy I ever met and did business with. Very sincere. He had bypass couple months prior to contracting COVID.

Ready for Monkey POX?

The bold is me and why I'm not interested in getting the boosters every 3 months. I think a lot of our population is thinking the same and pretty much done with it and moving on.
There is little need to keep getting boosters. There are FDA approved over the counter remedies that will nip covid in the bud if you take them soon enough. It's too bad you don't hear more about them, they have been around since the winter Omicron wave.

Last edited:
There is little need to keep getting boosters. There are FDA approved over the counter remedies that will nip covid in the bud if you take them soon enough. It's too. Ad you don't hear more about them,, they have been around since the winter Omicron wave.
Probably right. But I opted to get my second booster. Free. No side effects from any of the 4 shots. I just love all of the advice and points of view on HN. Then I do whatever my Dr. recommends (not orders).

If I drop dead after 4 shots, my last words will be, “Not the shots! Fryowa told me it’s co- morbidity!”

Probably right. But I opted to get my second booster. Free. No side effects from any of the 4 shots. I just love all of the advice and points of view on HN. Then I do whatever my Dr. recommends (not orders).

If I drop dead after 4 shots, my last words will be, “Not the shots! Fryowa told me it’s co- morbidity!”
No motives question. Why would you feel comfortable in injecting something into your body that has not been thoroughly tested and put out by for-profit companies? Put into sports.... Do you believe Alabama, OSU, KU BB, AZ BB aren't really cheating? Just really curious. Is it trust?

I feel bad for the people who spend the end of their lives isolated, only to get covid anyway.

No motives question. Why would you feel comfortable in injecting something into your body that has not been thoroughly tested and put out by for-profit companies? Put into sports.... Do you believe Alabama, OSU, KU BB, AZ BB aren't really cheating? Just really curious. Is it trust?
Some people (especially people with backgrounds in the medical field) blindly trust all medicine. Probably because it's their thing". No thoughts at all to other motives like political and financial gain.

My condolences. Scary shit. That is the one thing about this Germ as you put it. It's the random way it effects certain individuals. This is probably what really concerns the health professionals and scientists. The randomness of it. Just seems there is no rhyme or reason with it. That is disconcerting.

I mean my father and stepmother got it and they had no business getting it. We all thought if my step mother got it she'd be a goner. She's has severe lung disease and is on oxygen. They both recovered and I don't even think was hospitalized. Can't explain it.

There is little need to keep getting boosters. There are FDA approved over the counter remedies that will nip covid in the bud if you take them soon enough. It's too bad you don't hear more about them, they have been around since the winter Omicron wave.
Over the counter? Would you mind stating what they are? I know of two who recently had it is the past couple weeks and the physician put them on something right away but I didn't know of any over the counter meds. I'd like to file that away if needed.

I got the two, but I'm not getting boosted every 3-4 months.