McCaffery needs to own up

In all fairness 5 of those years are on Fran. I say 5 because who on God's earth would hold against him his first 2 years here? As we all know there was a pile of shit to scoop out of our paddock. So I say 5 seasons he has had the opportunity to compete for a title. On that same note I will point out that those 5 seasons have been pretty successful campaigns. Last year's team was maybe the biggest disappointment. They had the bodies, skill, and experience to do more during confrence play. I don't really blame them for being overwhelmed in the NCAA by the buzz saw that was Villanova last year. Like a lot of people have said. I see that the ceiling has been raised by our current crop of players and is being pushed higher yet by future recruits/recruiting. I will gladly give Fran time to prove something with these kids. I respect him as a man and coach and have no reservations about what I believe he can achieve for Iowa, but no matter what I don't believe for 1 second that he will allow himself to coast at perennial conference pivot man. He has told me personally before that coaching at this level against this competition is the most challenging task of his coaching or playing career. He also said that he personally feels that the blueprint that he follows and has established here will pay dividends. That he himself sees 2nd place in the B1G as losing and that he wouldn't ever stop pushing himself or the players to achieve more. I was skeptical of course, but seeing what he did with all these young players this season really does have me believing that he knows what will work and that he can get it done. The rest is just wait and see. I will add that either way. This style of basketball while frustrating at times is a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

"That he himself sees 2nd place in the B1G as losing and that he wouldn't ever stop pushing himself or the players to achieve more."

BAM!!!! I love it!!!! That's what I am talking about!!!! That's how champions think!!!!!

So if a coach feels that way and won't make up excuses then the fan base shouldn't be either.

Thirty-eight years with out a regular season title is long enough. It's redicoulos. It's embarrassing. Go Fran go!!! Make it happen!!!!

Crean won a title at Indiana....Fran is still trying to win a 1st round game in the Big Ten or a Pre-Season tourney not played at Carver.

Bruecrew - It does NOT take 7 years to dig yourself out from a disaster......Iowas State retools on the fly every 2-3 years and hardly skips a beat. This is not football, where it commonly does take 3-4 years.
You are absolutely 100% .. .. (wait for it) .. .. CORRECT! And it didn't take Fran that long. He did it in year 2 and we have been playing in the post season ever since. Look at the history: 2011 - 10th place in the B1G, 2012 - 7th, 2013 - 6th, 2014 - 6th, 2015 - 3rd (tie), 2016 - 3rd (tie), 2017 - 5th (tie).

With the exception of this last year, all years are trending upward. This last year was admittedly a rebuilding year It was one of those speed bumps you're going to have when rebuilding a program, but the coaching job done by Fran and the staff is arguably their best coaching job yet.

Is there work yet to do? Absolutely. Is Iowa where we would all like them to be? Absolutely not, but the trend is in the right direction. With the talent currently on board and the talent coming in next year, this team is poised for great things. As has been mentioned by many on here in other posts, if we're still talking NIT in two years .. heck .. even next year, Then things need to be re-evaluated.

GO HAWKS!!!

PC and I are eternal sunshine guys on here about Iowa hoops and I think we'd both be beating FM like a drum if we miss the NCAA's 3 straight years. I wanted TL gone - I wanted Alford gone - I didn't want Tom gone.

I have never pumped up a hawkeye coach in my life like I have Fran, except Alford when he first got here maybe. I wanted Davis gone because he was clearly trending down. I wanted Alford gone because he was a douche and all the success he had was with Iowa guys we probably get without him anyway. I wanted Lick gone because every year the best players transferred. Hell I've wanted Ferentz gone for a long time. I've wasn't a fan of his during his 3 great years starting with Banks. It bugs me how he coaches so conservative and pretty much leaves it up to luck to win games.

What annoys me the most is people just think I'm a blind sunshine pumper when to be you have to be blind not to see that Fran has done and even better job than his record shows. That's because I firmly believe that in basketball, it's up to the players to win close games. And our last class was so bad at winning close games that it cost them at least 10 wins over the last 3 years. That means in my opinion (I understand some people don't agree with me) Fran should have 10 more wins on his resume than he does. If Gesell and Uthoff both had stones like Bohannon, he might have 15 more wins.

"That he himself sees 2nd place in the B1G as losing and that he wouldn't ever stop pushing himself or the players to achieve more."

BAM!!!! I love it!!!! That's what I am talking about!!!! That's how champions think!!!!!

So if a coach feels that way and won't make up excuses then the fan base shouldn't be either.

Oh Fran definitely thinks like a champion. Just look at the guy scream at refs and players. The man literally loathes losing. The new players have already caught on.

As for the fan base making excuses. I don't think what people are saying are excuses. They are rational opinions of how long an upward trajectory should take to get to the top. Last seasons team is Fran's only strike on my evaluation list. That team could have and should have performed better in conference. If they had we would have won our B1G title last year and Fran would have that notch already. I still believe that it wasn't all Fran. I believe that was a low confidence group of kids that had seen their fair share of struggles. It will be extremely important for Fran to keep this group of kids winning and keeping their confidence high so we don't see that kind of regression mid to late season again.

-----turned it into a team that has been talked about for NCAA consideration the last 4 years.

WOW....I can hardly contain myself. You sure that you want to stick with that talking point?

-----turned it into a team that has been talked about for NCAA consideration the last 4 years.

WOW....I can hardly contain myself. You sure that you want to stick with that talking point?

You stick with your talking point which has been proven to be delusional.

Wow .. that's a really good argument. :eek:

GO HAWKS!!

EDIT: Plus .. it's better than anything you've come up with to fire him.

Last edited:
This has been an ongoing problem with this staff, defense and fundamentals ever since he's been here. weather we have 4 seniors or 4 freshmen defense and taking care of the ball are not a point of emphasis. History bears this out. Also if anyone thinks we don't need a backup pt. guard you obviously haven't watched any games, Williams is NOT a pt. guard, every time he's in the game he dribbles to much, can't find the open guy, can't shoot, for being a 6'6 fellow can't even rebound. A creaning needs to be in order. Next year will be more of the same with a few new names. If things don't change the head coach needs to be changed after 8 years. We haven't even sniffed at a Big Ten championship during his regime. Hell he can't even win one game in the Big Ten tournament. Enough is enough. Out.

Really the dumbest trolling post of ALL TIME on this board. Defense is NOT a problem with this staff. The only stat that really matters in measuring defense is "defensive efficiency," which measures the number of points Iowa (or any team) gives up for each possession of the opponent. Points per game is a meaningless statistic, because some teams (like Iowa) play at a faster tempo than others, meaning there will be more possessions per game for BOTH teams, meaning more points per game. Defensive efficiency is the relevant statistic. Here is how Fran's last 5 teams have done in defensive efficiency (remember, there are 350 teams in Division I basketball);

Year _ Iowa defensive efficiency (points per Opp. Possession) _ National Rank
2013 90.2 25
2014 99.2 77
2015 93.0 33
2016 94.8 30
2017 102.9 123

Bottom line, Fran's teams were terrific on the defensive end in 2013, 2015 and 2016, and above average in 2014 and 2017. The person who originated this post should be CREANED for being an absolute idiot.

.. .. ..Bottom line, Fran's teams were terrific on the defensive end in 2013, 2015 and 2016, and above average in 2014 and 2017. The person who originated this post should be CREANED for being an absolute idiot.
OMG!! We're trending downward!!! This can only mean that Playmaker is right!!! We need to fire McCaf .. .. wait .. .. one of the youngest teams in the nation starting and playing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores who are learning what it takes to play defense at this level is in the top half of country in defensive efficiency? Wow. That must mean McCaffery is a pretty good coach.

GO HAWKS!!!

Really the dumbest trolling post of ALL TIME on this board. Defense is NOT a problem with this staff. The only stat that really matters in measuring defense is "defensive efficiency," which measures the number of points Iowa (or any team) gives up for each possession of the opponent. Points per game is a meaningless statistic, because some teams (like Iowa) play at a faster tempo than others, meaning there will be more possessions per game for BOTH teams, meaning more points per game. Defensive efficiency is the relevant statistic. Here is how Fran's last 5 teams have done in defensive efficiency (remember, there are 350 teams in Division I basketball);

Year _ Iowa defensive efficiency (points per Opp. Possession) _ National Rank
2013 90.2 25
2014 99.2 77
2015 93.0 33
2016 94.8 30
2017 102.9 123

Bottom line, Fran's teams were terrific on the defensive end in 2013, 2015 and 2016, and above average in 2014 and 2017. The person who originated this post should be CREANED for being an absolute idiot.

Those are positive statistics no doubt, but I am uncertain how that statistic accounts for offensive rebounds. I know that in other statistical models offensive rebounds are considered extra possessions. If this is true in that particular model then limiting offensive rebounds would be a pivotal factor in limiting your PPP. Good D can lead to a bad or low percentage first shot, but you must secure the rebound. That is the biggest overall skill our young post players can develope to help this team out on D. If we clean up the boards we will be winning 20+ games each season for the next 3-4 years. I am hopeful one of those squads will take us closer to the promised land then we have gotten since Davis.

Iowa's Scoring Defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa:

'16/'17= Ranking currently at 299th (78.1 points per game)
'15/'16= Ranking: 107th (69.3 points per game)
'14/'15= Ranking: 64th (62.3 points per game)
'13/'14= Ranking 184th (70.3 points per game)
'12/'13= Ranking 75th (62.8 points per game)
'11/'12= Ranking 292nd (72.5 points per game)
'10/'11= Ranking 181st (68.1 points per game)

Average ranking is 171st. Average points per game allowed= 69.05

We haven't been ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa for 7 seasons. He's not a good defensive coach, period.
WRONG WRONG WRONG. It is about defensive efficiency, not points per game given up (a meaningless stat). See above post. Learn the game, please. Iowa ranks near the top every year in possessions under Fran (we play at a very fast tempo), resulting in more possessions for both teams. If our offensive efficiency is better than the opponent's, we win. Period, end of story. Fran is a very good defensive coach.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. It is about defensive efficiency, not points per game given up (a meaningless stat). See above post. Learn the game, please. Iowa ranks near the top every year in possessions under Fran (we play at a very fast tempo), resulting in more possessions for both teams. If our offensive efficiency is better than the opponent's, we win. Period, end of story. Fran is a very good defensive coach.
#LTG

Those are positive statistics no doubt, but I am uncertain how that statistic accounts for offensive rebounds. I know that in other statistical models offensive rebounds are considered extra possessions. If this is true in that particular model then limiting offensive rebounds would be a pivotal factor in limiting your PPP. Good D can lead to a bad or low percentage first shot, but you must secure the rebound. That is the biggest overall skill our young post players can develope to help this team out on D. If we clean up the boards we will be winning 20+ games each season for the next 3-4 years. I am hopeful one of those squads will take us closer to the promised land then we have gotten since Davis.

Now you are on to something. In most years under Fran Iowa has ranked very highly in not giving up offensive rebounds as a percentage of possessions. This year we ranked 198th - that was truly the Achilles heal of this team., giving up too many rebounds on the defensive end. You are spot on.

Folks, it costs $19.95 per year to subscribe to the Pomeroy rating system. It breaks everything down, offense, defense, etc. etc.

Pomeroy rated Iowa the #70 team in the country this year. The previous 4 years, we were ranked in the top 30. Fran is doing a super job; this was a young team that will get better next year.

Pomeroy is a must for serious basketball fans. Jon Miller quotes it constantly.

Learn The Game!

The Hawkeyes allowed 69.3 PPG in '15-16 and was a decent defensive team. The year before, they allowed 62.3 PPG, which ranked 64th nationally. So, it's not an on-going problem. That would be factually incorrect based on statistics.
jean-luc-picard-happy-yesss.jpg

Iowa's Scoring Defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa:

'16/'17= Ranking currently at 299th (78.1 points per game)
'15/'16= Ranking: 107th (69.3 points per game)
'14/'15= Ranking: 64th (62.3 points per game)
'13/'14= Ranking 184th (70.3 points per game)
'12/'13= Ranking 75th (62.8 points per game)
'11/'12= Ranking 292nd (72.5 points per game)
'10/'11= Ranking 181st (68.1 points per game)

Average ranking is 171st. Average points per game allowed= 69.05

We haven't been ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa for 7 seasons. He's not a good defensive coach, period.
Jean_Luc_Picard_angry_490x369.png

Latest posts