McCaffery needs to own up

This has been an ongoing problem with this staff, defense and fundamentals ever since he's been here. weather we have 4 seniors or 4 freshmen defense and taking care of the ball are not a point of emphasis. History bears this out. Also if anyone thinks we don't need a backup pt. guard you obviously haven't watched any games, Williams is NOT a pt. guard, every time he's in the game he dribbles to much, can't find the open guy, can't shoot, for being a 6'6 fellow can't even rebound. A creaning needs to be in order. Next year will be more of the same with a few new names. If things don't change the head coach needs to be changed after 8 years. We haven't even sniffed at a Big Ten championship during his regime. Hell he can't even win one game in the Big Ten tournament. Enough is enough. Out.

WoW....did someone pass me in the glass half full category? I do agree with him....WAY TOO MANY easy baskets year after year after year.

Me thinks Thomas Sawvell needs a Creaning from this Board. My question for the McCaffery critics is who is this unnamed coach that will cure all? Illinois didn't find one after Self left, Indiana hasn't found one since Knight left, Nebraska has never found one. It is interesting to note that McCaffery has a winning conference record as well as a winning overall record as Iowa's head coach. The 2015/2016 team was very close to winning or tying for the regular season title until late February. While it didn't end up the way we would like it is a far cry from where Lickliter was at the end of his term.

The Hawkeyes allowed 69.3 PPG in '15-16 and was a decent defensive team. The year before, they allowed 62.3 PPG, which ranked 64th nationally. So, it's not an on-going problem. That would be factually incorrect based on statistics.

Rob, this seems like an apples to oranges comparison. The last two seasons featured two very good defensive players in Woodbury and Clemmons along with a pretty good defender at the point in Gesell. Fans cheered when that group graduated and Fran brought in a class more suited to play his uptempo running style. We can't always outscore teams and IMO we will continue to see some ugly defense although I thought we improved over the course of the season and then regressed in post-season play.

The OP came across a little over the top but he has a valid point. Teams that advance in the tournament play defense and have good fundamentals (see Wisconsin). We won't sniff a Sweet 16 until we get way better at both.

The Hawkeyes allowed 69.3 PPG in '15-16 and was a decent defensive team. The year before, they allowed 62.3 PPG, which ranked 64th nationally. So, it's not an on-going problem. That would be factually incorrect based on statistics.
Is that bubble worthy?

Rob, this seems like an apples to oranges comparison. The last two seasons featured two very good defensive players in Woodbury and Clemmons along with a pretty good defender at the point in Gesell. Fans cheered when that group graduated and Fran brought in a class more suited to play his uptempo running style. We can't always outscore teams and IMO we will continue to see some ugly defense although I thought we improved over the course of the season and then regressed in post-season play.

The OP came across a little over the top but he has a valid point. Teams that advance in the tournament play defense and have good fundamentals (see Wisconsin). We won't sniff a Sweet 16 until we get way better at both.

You say you think we improved as the season went on, so why wouldn't you assume they would improve as the years go on?

Iowa's Scoring Defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa:

'16/'17= Ranking currently at 299th (78.1 points per game)
'15/'16= Ranking: 107th (69.3 points per game)
'14/'15= Ranking: 64th (62.3 points per game)
'13/'14= Ranking 184th (70.3 points per game)
'12/'13= Ranking 75th (62.8 points per game)
'11/'12= Ranking 292nd (72.5 points per game)
'10/'11= Ranking 181st (68.1 points per game)

Average ranking is 171st. Average points per game allowed= 69.05

We haven't been ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa for 7 seasons. He's not a good defensive coach, period.

Last edited:
How do people say we can't sniff a Big 10 championship when we sniffed it twice in the last 4 years?

We haven't been close the three games of the regular season or the B1G tournament since Franny has been here.

We haven't been close the three games of the regular season or the B1G tournament since Franny has been here.

If we beat Indiana the last game of the regular season last year, we lose by one game. That game came down to the last seconds too. Same with the Wisconsin game. That was maybe the 3rd to last game?

I just looked it up. If we would have won our last 3 games at Ohio State, home against Indiana, and at Michigan, we tie for a Big 10 championship.

If we beat Indiana the last game of the regular season last year, we lose by one game. That game came down to the last seconds too. Same with the Wisconsin game. That was maybe the 3rd to last game?

We lost twice to Indiana but that wasn't the last game. We lost @OSU after, Wisconsin on senior night, and beat Michigan at Crisler to end the year which people ignore when they try to say they collapsed. And it was in a season where we only played the bottom four one time each, which seems almost mathematically impossible to draw that unlucky a a schedule when you play 5 of 13 twice. This year we drew both the bottom two twice.

I would be curious to see a year by year stat on Iowa 3 point percentage defense and how they rank nationally. That feels like a sore spot.