McCaffery needs to own up

Th

That's two way street you know. Where wouldn't we have finished "IF" we lost three more games? Seventh, eight, ninth place?

Again, the guy said we haven't been close. I said we were close. How is this so hard?

-----My question for the McCaffery critics is who is this unnamed coach that will cure all?

Loser mentality.....I've heard the same thing about Ferments for years...."Well, tell me who we well get" When real programs (Indiana) are unhappy with their current coach (Crean), they cut ties quickly and try again...never looking back. NOT, give a guy 10 years to try and win a 1st round game in his Conference Tournament. If Fran had done what Crean did at Indiana, he would be allowed to stay at Iowa long enough to coach Connor's great grandchildren.

So let me get this straight. You are an Iowa Hawkeye fan who believes Fran should be fired right now?

Wrong again. Beilein is not know as a defensive coach. He's known as an offensive guru. That's why he hired a defensive minded coach.

Here's UM's adjusted D in recent years:

2017 - 73
2016 - 95
2015 - 99
2014 - 88
2013 - 39

Do you ever say anything that is correct?

I specified that Beilein teaches proper defensive posture and basics. Whether it's him or someone he hired, the buck stops with him. And yes he is offensive minded, but more old school than one might think. Ask anyone who has actually coached. M's teams on defensive posture and footwork are terrific. Boxing out is a problem.

Do you guys understand anything about pace and number of possessions and how that effects scoring defense? I would hope so. I'll explain for you.

Iowa plays in an uptempo system under FM, meaning they shoot relatively quick in the shot clock compared to other teams. As I said in an earlier thread, they led the B1G in FG attempts this year. This also increases the number of possessions that they have to play defense for, which leads to more opportunities to score for the other team.

KenPom has an adjusted defense stat which adjusts for your pace. This year we rank 122 in adjusted D. Here is our adjusted D in previous years:

2016 - 30
2015 - 33
2014 - 77
2013 - 25

So if you think our defense this year was comparable to our defense in prior years, and you think we've always been horrible at defense, then you don't understand basketball and therefore cannot complain.

First, you are starting to sound like Icke only in BB. 2nd, most everyone understands your brilliant comments without your endearing input. (Sarcasm). If you think FM and Iowa are sound on D, then you really don't understand BB. A team can up tempo and still play solid D. Iowa does not play solid D.

Which is evidence that it is so easy to do.

He answered his own question - Iowa doesn't have a rich history of winning the B1G regardless of coach. Iowa has a guy right now that looks like he could be building to that. In true Iowa fan nature tho much like the "Iowa needs a dynamic PG" crowd when we have one of the best young PG's in the country ... let's get rid of a great coach who's a great fit, great in the community, recruits well in his own state and others because he's not done well in a one off conference tournament and he missed the NCAA's (by 1 game) in a rebuild year.

That's the Iowa fan message board mentality much more than the trolls who want to say Iowa fans accept mediocre sports teams.

It's symbolic of a fan base that demands very little. When others complain (and they have every right to) they get attacked by the status quo followers. They are the ones who should be applauded for at least stating they want more out of their favorite team. Over thirty-seven years.

My gripe is not with Fran (ok maybe a little on the defensive side of the ball) but with the the people who run things at the university of Iowa. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that winning a conference title in basketball is not at the top of list of things to do.

Now granted it's just entertainment and there are so many more important things in life to worry about. When you really think about how testy some get here on the forum when discussing their HAWKEYES and then look at the huge lack of success on a national level it's comical. To make the point more clear think Iowa State football and their delusional fans.

To those of you who have been griping and complaining because you want to see the hawks win at a higher level, well I feel your pain. I want that too.

Now I see and understand the point that others are making about Fran. We could be on the cusp of something really great. I think we should give Fran at least two or three more years to prove himself, but that is it. If after that we are still talking about NITs and poor defense then it's time for him to go.

I think most reasonable people would agree. Yes it's true that even then if the next three years are a failure there will be be some out here still making excuses for why he should stay. Your always going to have those people out here. If your new to the forum these same people were here making up excuses for Lickliter and Alford to stay on. Now that is scary, especially Lickliter.

Be patient and let's see how this all plays out with some of the new recruits that are coming in and how the players we already have develop. We may have a few more hiccups next season but after that there are no excuses that will be acceptable. I know, I know, over thirty-seven years. That was 1979 the year I graduated from high school. Ronnie Lester and gang. That was so much fun and getting to the final four was so much fun. I would love to see Fran make that magic happen again.

It's symbolic of a fan base that demands very little. When others complain (and they have every right to) they get attacked by the status quo followers. They are the ones who should be applauded for at least stating they want more out of their favorite team. Over thirty-seven years.

My gripe is not with Fran (ok maybe a little on the defensive side of the ball) but with the the people who run things at the university of Iowa. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that winning a conference title in basketball is not at the top of list of things to do.

Now granted it's just entertainment and there are so many more important things in life to worry about. When you really think about how testy some get here on the forum when discussing their HAWKEYES and then look at the huge lack of success on a national level it's comical. To make the point more clear think Iowa State football and their delusional fans.

To those of you who have been griping and complaining because you want to see the hawks win at a higher level, well I feel your pain. I want that too.

Now I see and understand the point that others are making about Fran. We could be on the cusp of something really great. I think we should give Fran at least two or three more years to prove himself, but that is it. If after that we are still talking about NITs and poor defense then it's time for him to go.

I think most reasonable people would agree. Yes it's true that even then if the next three years are a failure there will be be some out here still making excuses for why he should stay. Your always going to have those people out here. If your new to the forum these same people were here making up excuses for Lickliter and Alford to stay on. Now that is scary, especially Lickliter.

Be patient and let's see how this all plays out with some of the new recruits that are coming in and how the players we already have develop. We may have a few more hiccups next season but after that there are no excuses that will be acceptable. I know, I know, over thirty-seven years. That was 1979 the year I graduated from high school. Ronnie Lester and gang. That was so much fun and getting to the final four was so much fun. I would love to see Fran make that magic happen again.

PC and I are eternal sunshine guys on here about Iowa hoops and I think we'd both be beating FM like a drum if we miss the NCAA's 3 straight years. I wanted TL gone - I wanted Alford gone - I didn't want Tom gone.

PC and I are eternal sunshine guys on here about Iowa hoops

True

and I think we'd both be beating FM like a drum if we miss the NCAA's 3 straight years.

Highly doubt it. You'll still have excuses.

I wanted TL gone

Highly doubt it.

- I wanted Alford gone

Very highly doubt that. Did you really want a coach fired that still has a better overall winning % @ Iowa than Fran?

- I didn't want Tom gone.

Probably true.

I take 0 offense by that - Iowa hoops has been on the upswing for several seasons now - this season did nothing to change my mind on that. It CAN be changed tho -

I specified that Beilein teaches proper defensive posture and basics. Whether it's him or someone he hired, the buck stops with him. And yes he is offensive minded, but more old school than one might think. Ask anyone who has actually coached. M's teams on defensive posture and footwork are terrific. Boxing out is a problem.

How did we ever score 86 vs Michigan's elite defensive juggernaut?

PC and I are eternal sunshine guys on here about Iowa hoops and I think we'd both be beating FM like a drum if we miss the NCAA's 3 straight years. I wanted TL gone - I wanted Alford gone - I didn't want Tom gone.

Well I like Fran and want him to Ben very successful
And it's been-what-14 years since a team other than Kansas has won the B12 regular season championship. I guess all the other teams in the Big 12 suck then?

Actually it was thirty-eight years. Do you really want to use the B12 as an example? One major network that only promotes Texas. Only the B12 Is that retarded.

PC and I are eternal sunshine guys on here about Iowa hoops and I think we'd both be beating FM like a drum if we miss the NCAA's 3 straight years. I wanted TL gone - I wanted Alford gone - I didn't want l

Lol, that made me laugh. To be fair though they both did say if we have two more consecutive NIT bids after this one Fran should be let go.

With the running style that Fran coaches, we never will be ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense. There are simply too many possessions in a game for that to happen. Oh, wait.... you don't think that the players will get better do you?

Soooo you're saying there are no running style teams ranked ahead of Iowa in scoring D?

Does it make a difference when judging a coaches win percentage the condition of the program when taking it over or is that considered to be "an excuse"?

Alford took over the basketball program coming off a Sweet 16 appearance while Fran took over after Iowa had lost 22 games the previous year.

Does it make a difference when judging a coaches win percentage the condition of the program when taking it over or is that considered to be "an excuse"?

Alford took over the basketball program coming off a Sweet 16 appearance while Fran took over after Iowa had lost 22 games the previous year.

Has to be considered IMO - and there's no question Fran has already had a better run then Alford despite that fact. You can also point out that during Alford's tenure the B1G was considered down across the board.

exactly - is that Fran's deal?

In all fairness 5 of those years are on Fran. I say 5 because who on God's earth would hold against him his first 2 years here? As we all know there was a pile of shit to scoop out of our paddock. So I say 5 seasons he has had the opportunity to compete for a title. On that same note I will point out that those 5 seasons have been pretty successful campaigns. Last year's team was maybe the biggest disappointment. They had the bodies, skill, and experience to do more during confrence play. I don't really blame them for being overwhelmed in the NCAA by the buzz saw that was Villanova last year. Like a lot of people have said. I see that the ceiling has been raised by our current crop of players and is being pushed higher yet by future recruits/recruiting. I will gladly give Fran time to prove something with these kids. I respect him as a man and coach and have no reservations about what I believe he can achieve for Iowa, but no matter what I don't believe for 1 second that he will allow himself to coast at perennial conference pivot man. He has told me personally before that coaching at this level against this competition is the most challenging task of his coaching or playing career. He also said that he personally feels that the blueprint that he follows and has established here will pay dividends. That he himself sees 2nd place in the B1G as losing and that he wouldn't ever stop pushing himself or the players to achieve more. I was skeptical of course, but seeing what he did with all these young players this season really does have me believing that he knows what will work and that he can get it done. The rest is just wait and see. I will add that either way. This style of basketball while frustrating at times is a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

It's symbolic of a fan base that demands very little. When others complain (and they have every right to) they get attacked by the status quo followers. They are the ones who should be applauded for at least stating they want more out of their favorite team. Over thirty-seven years. Most of those complainers are obvious trolls. They are nowhere to be found after impressive/convincing/"big" wins, and after ANY season considered "good", you can spot them with the usual, "Favorable schedule/lucky break/should have lost more" drivel.

My gripe is not with Fran (ok maybe a little on the defensive side of the ball) but with the the people who run things at the university of Iowa. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that winning a conference title in basketball is not at the top of list of things to do. You know why? Because it's damn near meaningless in a 30+ game regular season when it comes to making--or doing well in--the NCAA Tournament.

Now granted it's just entertainment and there are so many more important things in life to worry about. When you really think about how testy some get here on the forum when discussing their HAWKEYES and then look at the huge lack of success on a national level it's comical. To make the point more clear think Iowa State football and their delusional fans. That's Iowa State. Iowa and Iowa State are two different places.

To those of you who have been griping and complaining because you want to see the hawks win at a higher level, well I feel your pain. I want that too. Show me a "real" Hawkeye fan that WANTS to lose.

Now I see and understand the point that others are making about Fran. We could be on the cusp of something really great. I think we should give Fran at least two or three more years to prove himself, but that is it. If after that we are still talking about NITs and poor defense then it's time for him to go. No argument from me.

I think most reasonable people would agree. Yes it's true that even then if the next three years are a failure there will be be some out here still making excuses for why he should stay. Your always going to have those people out here. If your new to the forum these same people were here making up excuses for Lickliter and Alford to stay on. Now that is scary, especially Lickliter. Personally, I wanted Alford gone, felt bad for Lick. But he definitely earned his ultimate fate at Iowa.

Latest posts