McCaffery needs to own up

Wrong again. Beilein is not know as a defensive coach. He's known as an offensive guru. That's why he hired a defensive minded coach.

Here's UM's adjusted D in recent years:

2017 - 73
2016 - 95
2015 - 99
2014 - 88
2013 - 39

Do you ever say anything that is correct?
I don't know about his accuracy but Iowa's scoring D finished 299th out of 347 schools while Michigan finished 47th in scoring D. I'm not sure where you get your stats either mine are from the NCAA.

I don't know about his accuracy but Iowa's scoring D finished 299th out of 347 schools while Michigan finished 47th in scoring D. I'm not sure where you get your stats either mine are from the NCAA.
He posted adjusted defense ranking for Michigan. He and others have posted adjusted defense stats for Iowa multiple times.

You gave scoring defense.

Adjusted defense.
Scoring defense.

Adjusted.
Scoring.

He posted adjusted defense ranking for Michigan. He and others have posted adjusted defense stats for Iowa multiple times.

Adjusted defense.
Scoring defense.

Adjusted.
Scoring.
WTH dude c'mon "adjusted" defense NONE of the Sweet 16 teams had as poor of scoring defense rank and no matter what the pace is we still let the other team score like almost 74 points a game that won't get it done. It didn't this year and it won't next. Did the opposing teams score enough to rank us at 299th out of 347 D1 schools?

Adjusted defense.
Scoring defense.

Adjusted.
Scoring.
I do agree Beilein is no defensive guru but at least he's smart enough to see the deficiency and make the change Fran hasn't since he's been there.

WTH dude c'mon "adjusted" defense NONE of the Sweet 16 teams had as poor of scoring defense rank and no matter what the pace is we still let the other team score like almost 74 points a game that won't get it done. It didn't this year and it won't next. Did the opposing teams score enough to rank us at 299th out of 347 D1 schools?

This year was bad on defense regardless of what stat you use. But the only stat that matters is adjusted, and that stat shows Fran has been pretty good over the last 4 years before this one.

Adjusted D is the only thing that matters. According to PPG allowed, UNC was the #127 D in the country. If you adjust that to the fact that UNC plays uptempo and has more possessions than tons of other teams, they are actually the #20 D in the nation.

Same for Iowa, your whole Iowa is the #299 D is just silly. No Iowa didn't play good D, but they play uptempo so they will always give up more point, because the teams will have more possessions. Iowa's D was #124, which isn't good, but they are not the #300 D, not by a long shot.

You must have cried your eyes out when Lick left. His teams could hold down opposing teams ppg

This year was bad on defense regardless of what stat you use. But the only stat that matters is adjusted, and that stat shows Fran has been pretty good over the last 4 years before this one.

Imo, it is more of a experience issue than a schematic one. Iowa's defensive rotation wasn't good this year and that is all about communication and knowing where your teammates are going to be. Next year you will not see as many guys getting late out on shooters. It won't happen as often guys being a step behind cutting off dribble drive penetration. All that is experience, not X and O's.

I go back to a point I've made on this that personnel matters and we don't have a Woodbury to defend in the paint nor a Clemmons on the perimeter which accounts for us playing better defense the last few seasons. Fran has a team now that can do the things he wants offensively which fits his comfort zone. seepig has it right that you won't see us playing on this weekend next season or the two seasons after unless something changes.

I go back to a point I've made on this that personnel matters and we don't have a Woodbury to defend in the paint nor a Clemmons on the perimeter which accounts for us playing better defense the last few seasons. Fran has a team now that can do the things he wants offensively which fits his comfort zone. seepig has it right that you won't see us playing on this weekend next season or the two seasons after unless something changes.

Everyone is calling for change. So what needs to change? More press, more zone, more double teams.....what?

Everyone is calling for change. So what needs to change? More press, more zone, more double teams.....what?

Good question. Having never played the game I can't answer that question as intelligently as others can. Having watched the game for many years I can only say that we don't look like we play good fundamental defense and I think we give up way too many easy baskets with all the hedging and trapping we do.

Fran has a very bright mind for basketball and teaches offense as well as anybody around. I would have thought coming into the big stage in the Big Ten he would have looked to shore up his weaker areas like specifically defense. That becomes a bigger need now IMO with a young team not very defensively inclined. As others have suggested it might seem good to bring in a bright defensive mind on the staff who can work with Fran in blending a defensive orientation with the running uptempo style Fran likes to play.

Me thinks Thomas Sawvell needs a Creaning from this Board. My question for the McCaffery critics is who is this unnamed coach that will cure all? Illinois didn't find one after Self left, Indiana hasn't found one since Knight left, Nebraska has never found one. It is interesting to note that McCaffery has a winning conference record as well as a winning overall record as Iowa's head coach. The 2015/2016 team was very close to winning or tying for the regular season title until late February. While it didn't end up the way we would like it is a far cry from where Lickliter was at the end of his term.
Indiana has won conference titles and got to final 4 since Knight left.

None of those teams are serious contenders, but yes I missed them. To get there, Duke had one of their slowest teams ever. Xavier...not a serious contender and likely not Oregon. Butler is one of the fundamentally sound teams ever. Fran's teams aren't. Therefore the PG covers a lot of weakness.

Before your time I guess, Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold made Special K, Steve Waite and Kevin Boyle look like world beaters. Sound D starts at the top. Baylor which isn't great will expose SC. Butler has had an easy road as had the Ducks.

I get what you are saying. Possible? of course. A serious contender? I think back to the 06 Iowa team. Tough as nails PG? Yes. Results? That was Iowa's last realistic chance to do damage in the dance.

Baylor certainly exposed South Carolina. Kansas certainly exposed Oregon. Big 12 is soft. Again and again.

Baylor certainly exposed South Carolina. Kansas certainly exposed Oregon. Big 12 is soft. Again and again.

Oregon is a huge surprise by any measure. What they do have is a lock down defense. It starts with a PG who doesn't let anything past him. He can play very aggressively as the interior help is incredible. Most anyone thought the D would suffer with the injury.

The SEC is a huge surprise.

I don't see many teams that Iowa could stay on the court with.

Oregon is a huge surprise by any measure. What they do have is a lock down defense. It starts with a PG who doesn't let anything past him. He can play very aggressively as the interior help is incredible. Most anyone thought the D would suffer with the injury.

The SEC is a huge surprise.

I don't see many teams that Iowa could stay on the court with.

I live in SEC country down here in Florida and it sucks. People take football very seriously around here and don't hardly know their teams play basketball which I brag about as a Big Ten fan.

Defense and solid fundamentals wins which it looks like Indiana figured out with the Archie Miller hire.

WRONG AGAIN....W and L's is all that matters and if you aren't in it for W's and championships why the hell play the games. You gotta be kidding adjusted D. Go back to your stats Genie genius.

Imo, it is more of a experience issue than a schematic one. Iowa's defensive rotation wasn't good this year and that is all about communication and knowing where your teammates are going to be. Next year you will not see as many guys getting late out on shooters. It won't happen as often guys being a step behind cutting off dribble drive penetration. All that is experience, not X and O's.

No doubt.

Latest posts