McCaffery needs to own up

Bully for you. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. And nope.

That's not my book though...

I had a cat and a dog as a kid. The dog was on a chain (German Shep). The cat would walk up to the dog who was at the end of the chain. The cat would bat the dogs nose and then lie down next to the dog. The dog would drag the cat around. When things got too rough and the cat had enough, she'd claw the dog which would let go. Happened almost everyday.

Sort of describes our relationship. Cheers...

That's not my book though...

I had a cat and a dog as a kid. The dog was on a chain (German Shep). The cat would walk up to the dog who was at the end of the chain. The cat would bat the dogs nose and then lie down next to the dog. The dog would drag the cat around. When things got too rough and the cat had enough, she'd claw the dog which would let go. Happened almost everyday.

Sort of describes our relationship. Cheers...
A-We don't have a relationship.
B- Are you the dog who isn't smart enough to stay away from the cat or the cat who isn't smart enough to not lie down near the dog?
C- I'm not your enemy, I'm just messing with you. We can have differing opinions on whether Fran is a good coach or not. It's ok.

C- I'm not your enemy, I'm just messing with you. We can have differing opinions on whether Fran is a good coach or not. It's ok.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh....NO. Differences of opinion are strictly prohibited. "If at first you don't agree, You must quarrel until one relents to thee".
It is clear you must continue a battle of wits for our general amusement. Pull your weight...gosh!

Iowa's Scoring Defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa:

'16/'17= Ranking currently at 299th (78.1 points per game)
'15/'16= Ranking: 107th (69.3 points per game)
'14/'15= Ranking: 64th (62.3 points per game)
'13/'14= Ranking 184th (70.3 points per game)
'12/'13= Ranking 75th (62.8 points per game)
'11/'12= Ranking 292nd (72.5 points per game)
'10/'11= Ranking 181st (68.1 points per game)

Average ranking is 171st. Average points per game allowed= 69.05

We haven't been ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa for 7 seasons. He's not a good defensive coach, period.

Ok, I'm just opened this thread. I hope someone pointed out how dumb this is. You need to use tempo free stats, as Iowa plays an uptempo game with tons more possession than defensive minded teams. Using KenPom Adjusted D stats here is how Iowa ranked in D:

16/17 = 123rd
15/16 = 30th
14/15 = 33rd
13/14 = 77th
12/13 = 25th
11/12 = 206th
10/11 = 58th

Ok, I'm just opened this thread. I hope someone pointed out how dumb this is. You need to use tempo free stats, as Iowa plays an uptempo game with tons more possession than defensive minded teams. Using KenPom Adjusted D stats here is how Iowa ranked in D:

16/17 = 123rd
15/16 = 30th
14/15 = 33rd
13/14 = 77th
12/13 = 25th
11/12 = 206th
10/11 = 58th
It has been mentioned. In this thread by another poster or two -- including Michigan's HC whose team's adjusted stats are far 30-50 spots behind Fran these years. And By you and others in other threads.

Facts < HC Hate

C- I'm not your enemy, I'm just messing with you. We can have differing opinions on whether Fran is a good coach or not. It's ok.

Uhhh....NO. Differences of opinion are strictly prohibited. "If at first you don't agree, You must quarrel until one relents to thee".
It is clear you must continue a battle of wits for our general amusement. Pull your weight...gosh![/QUOTE]

Speaking of, what ever happened to 56? Did he finally bail after promising Bohannon would never be on the B10 All-Freshman team?

People have provided evidence proving that it is factually incorrect to say that Iowa has been bad at defense under McCaffery. Looking at objective measures, they have been pretty darn good most years. Just to play devil's advocate, that does not necessarily rule out that McCaffery is not great at coaching defensive fundamentals and schemes.

Maybe he brought some really good defensive players on campus, and they were going to give Iowa a good D no matter what the coach did with them? Maybe those tempo-adjusted D ratings in the 20's and 30's could have been in the top 10 with better coaching?

I am not making that claim as I don't think I am knowledgeable enough on the intricacies of defensive coaching to know one way or another. I am just saying it's possible.

Speaking of, what ever happened to 56? Did he finally bail after promising Bohannon would never be on the B10 All-Freshman team?

CyTwins troll was a epic failure, so he just took Ferris' advice.

200.gif

I specified that Beilein teaches proper defensive posture and basics. Whether it's him or someone he hired, the buck stops with him. And yes he is offensive minded, but more old school than one might think. Ask anyone who has actually coached. M's teams on defensive posture and footwork are terrific. Boxing out is a problem.
Should I ask anyone who has actually coached ALL of the proper defensive posture and basics AND boxing out?:D

My solution is Podiatry Rotationary 2 Gluttus Maximus Conactis (TM):

(1) once player is in the proper defensive posture with terrific footwork and the opponent shoots the ball;

(2) chose one of your feet and move weight to ball of your foot;

(3) then spin on that foot and swing opposite leg toward opponent

(4) when completing a 180 degree turn your butt will make contact with your opponent thus inhibiting his progress to the hoop.

(5) care must be taken which foot to chose to rotate and opposite leg to swing based on opponent's location on the court and (4) above

(6) However, with proper defensive posture and terrific footwork this should take about 12 minutes to figure out with practice.

Liar Liar Pants On Fire

You had the thread open an hour and 19 minutes after it was created. ;)

16/17 = 123rd
15/16 = 30th
14/15 = 33rd
13/14 = 77th
12/13 = 25th
11/12 = 206th
10/11 = 58th

3-23-2017_1-00-31_PM.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Should I ask anyone who has actually coached ALL of the proper defensive posture and basics AND boxing out?:D

My solution is Podiatry Rotationary 2 Gluttus Maximus Conactis (TM):

(1) once player is in the proper defensive posture with terrific footwork and the opponent shoots the ball;

(2) chose one of your feet and move weight to ball of your foot;

(3) then spin on that foot and swing opposite leg toward opponent

(4) when completing a 180 degree turn your butt will make contact with your opponent thus inhibiting his progress to the hoop.

(5) care must be taken which foot to chose to rotate and opposite leg to swing based on opponent's location on the court and (4) above

(6) However, with proper defensive posture and terrific footwork this should take about 12 minutes to figure out with practice.

You'd think so. I play ball with young guys. Blocking out doesn't cross their mind. Out jump? That's what they try.

None of those teams are serious contenders, but yes I missed them. To get there, Duke had one of their slowest teams ever. Xavier...not a serious contender and likely not Oregon. Butler is one of the fundamentally sound teams ever. Fran's teams aren't. Therefore the PG covers a lot of weakness.

Before your time I guess, Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold made Special K, Steve Waite and Kevin Boyle look like world beaters. Sound D starts at the top. Baylor which isn't great will expose SC. Butler has had an easy road as had the Ducks.

I get what you are saying. Possible? of course. A serious contender? I think back to the 06 Iowa team. Tough as nails PG? Yes. Results? That was Iowa's last realistic chance to do damage in the dance.

Just locked up the elite 8. Think they are a contender yet?

Liar Liar Pants On Fire

You had the thread open an hour and 19 minutes after it was created. ;)

3-23-2017_1-00-31_PM.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Haha, looks like I did. I should have said for whatever reason clicking on the thread brought me to the first post and not the last post read like normal.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. It is about defensive efficiency, not points per game given up (a meaningless stat). See above post. Learn the game, please. Iowa ranks near the top every year in possessions under Fran (we play at a very fast tempo), resulting in more possessions for both teams. If our offensive efficiency is better than the opponent's, we win. Period, end of story. Fran is a very good defensive coach.

I think his offensive philosophy helps wear out the other team added with his press defense, when he has players well suited for it (White), really aid those defensive efficiency numbers. But if other teams effectively make it a half court game things can get ugly at times. I think Fran can improve in these areas, and definitely on board with wanting to see this freshmen class as seniors under him.

Latest posts