Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend... is a Hoax

Jon, you still think Deadspin is the worst thing to happen to sports journalism? It's nice to see some news outlets still have some balls to ask the tough questions. Sure won't see that from the WWL.

I imagine being gay would be difficult for a football player. I can't imagine how difficult it would be if you were a prominent Mormon and a prominent student at a Catholic School.

Im sure it would be difficult.

But there are about 250,000 better ways of dealing with it.

What I don't get is if ND knew about this Dec 26th, why did they let the bowl promos continue to air that stuff leading up the BCS Championship?

There's no way this dude wasn't in on it. Esp with the half-truths coming out.

Jon, you still think Deadspin is the worst thing to happen to sports journalism? It's nice to see some news outlets still have some balls to ask the tough questions. Sure won't see that from the WWL.

I just hope I don't get famous and **** them off.

Well, there is this in the article, too:

"Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o."

If you allegedly met in person to begin your relationship, it's really hard to believe it is a hoax he wasn't in on.

Can we get a long term pool up on the For Fun Wagers board that this individual will come out of the closet as gay sometime in the next 10 years? I will bet all my viesels on yes. This has the makings of not only a hoax, but a beard as well without the problem of having to keep the beard quiet.

Wow. Amazing coincidence. Both you and the dead girlfriend have soulful eyes. JMHO.

Im sure it would be difficult.

But there are about 250,000 better ways of dealing with it.

Is there really? Because I am pretty amused by the way it was handled. I mean, he trolled the ever living **** out of the sports media, and I thought most of the people here hated the sports media.

He's Mormon. Given the seriuosness with which they take pre-marital sex, there would be no need to create a fake girlfriend to hide gayness.

Disagree, devoutly religious people who actually do wait until they are married are almost all married by 22 or 23. God simply did not create the male human to withstand the pressures of being virginal until 25 or 30 years of age. In a purely natural state (e.g. the cave man era), the human lives something like 30-40 years and so our bodies are hard wired to have kids between say 15 and 20 years of age, which is why most dudes cannot wear sweatpants between 6th grade and college graduation. These religious dogmas simply run contrary to our natural wiring and it manifests itself by pulling up marriage ages drastically within those particular groups.

An internet beard is the perfect beard. Having a gay brother who actually went through a Mormon phase and who had a Mormon beard, I think I can speak on this issue. According to my brother, the Mormons are devout about no vaginal penetration prior to marriage, but it was common for them to engage in other sexual activities outside of marriage (I doubt there is any credible literature published on this due to the veil of secrecy of the religion but it makes sense for any male who was once a teenager). Even a religious girl who Te'o dealt with in person would quickly have suspicions about his sexuality when he wasn't trying to get a tug or go for the five hole or interested in kissing and breast fondling. A real life beard is a delicate, delicate thing because she has to be in on it because any reasonably hot woman who spends any time alone with a 18-22 year old guy has to expect him to make overtures or passes at her, they know that failure to do so over a prolonged period is not a sign of a gentleman, it is a sign of teh ghey. So once a real beard is involved, a closeted gay man is "out" at least to her. When you are a BMOC, you can't be "out" to anyone. Absolutely no one. It will ruin you and you have no idea who can be trusted.

Is there really? Because I am pretty amused by the way it was handled. I mean, he trolled the ever living **** out of the sports media, and I thought most of the people here hated the sports media.

All jokes aside, he handled it in the worst way possible. I love the story and am eating it up.

It makes him look like an f'in idiot and all the equity he built up is now gone...maybe forever.

Teo's troll rep- way up

Teo's reputation as a person- way down

What I don't get is if ND knew about this Dec 26th, why did they let the bowl promos continue to air that stuff leading up the BCS Championship?

There is NO WAY, even if he was duped for awhile, that he didn't know well back in the fall at the time of death.

It's IMPOSSIBLE.

He lied and lied and lied and got his parents to lie some more.

At best, he and his family look like liars based on the voluminous statements made about meeting her and such. And then continuing it after the revelations came out is really bad. Look, if you don't want to reveal the story prior to the game, fine, but when the girlfriend is brought up, just say "I don't have any further comment on her."

All jokes aside, he handled it in the worst way possible. I love the story and am eating it up.

It makes him look like an f'in idiot and all the equity he built up is now gone...maybe forever.

Teo's troll rep- way up

Teo's reputation as a person- way down

I'm powerfully indifferent about the story. I read the Deadspin thing, but I don't have ESPN, so outside of HN, I don't know how the narrative is developing. Honestly, I didn't even know about the pretend girlfriend before the story hit.

However, it is very, very amusing to me. And keep in mind, I was a big T'eo guy before. Now I hope they erect a trollface wearing #5 in bronze in front of the stadium.

He will not be charged with anything that you mention above. No chance.

Very small chance. If ND calls the AUSA and sends the Feds on a wild goose chase and they find out he is involved, he could be charged because the Feds really dislike people lying to them. And if someone senior in the Justice Department has seen Catfish or heard similar stories, this is exactly the sort of high profile case you prosecute to try to stomp out the rampant falsification of identities on the interwebs. I would not say it is likely, but it is definitely possible.

And honestly, that fabrication of a phone call on Dec 6th.. that's the lie he created to come clean finally.. because, it seems as though, people were digging into this whole ordeal..

Disagree, devoutly religious people who actually do wait until they are married are almost all married by 22 or 23. God simply did not create the male human to withstand the pressures of being virginal until 25 or 30 years of age. In a purely natural state (e.g. the cave man era), the human lives something like 30-40 years and so our bodies are hard wired to have kids between say 15 and 20 years of age, which is why most dudes cannot wear sweatpants between 6th grade and college graduation. These religious dogmas simply run contrary to our natural wiring and it manifests itself by pulling up marriage ages drastically within those particular groups.

An internet beard is the perfect beard. Having a gay brother who actually went through a Mormon phase and who had a Mormon beard, I think I can speak on this issue. According to my brother, the Mormons are devout about no vaginal penetration prior to marriage, but it was common for them to engage in other sexual activities outside of marriage (I doubt there is any credible literature published on this due to the veil of secrecy of the religion but it makes sense for any male who was once a teenager). Even a religious girl who Te'o dealt with in person would quickly have suspicions about his sexuality when he wasn't trying to get a tug or go for the five hole or interested in kissing and breast fondling. A real life beard is a delicate, delicate thing because she has to be in on it because any reasonably hot woman who spends any time alone with a 18-22 year old guy has to expect him to make overtures or passes at her, they know that failure to do so over a prolonged period is not a sign of a gentleman, it is a sign of teh ghey. So once a real beard is involved, a closeted gay man is "out" at least to her. When you are a BMOC, you can't be "out" to anyone. Absolutely no one. It will ruin you and you have no idea who can be trusted.

OK4P sees gayness everywhere. He is like Haley Joel Osment, except OK4P sees gay people instead of dead people.

Very small chance. If ND calls the AUSA and sends the Feds on a wild goose chase and they find out he is involved, he could be charged because the Feds really dislike people lying to them. And if someone senior in the Justice Department has seen Catfish or heard similar stories, this is exactly the sort of high profile case you prosecute to try to stomp out the rampant falsification of identities on the interwebs. I would not say it is likely, but it is definitely possible.

Will not happen. I would bet you a Romney-sized bet of real cash that it will not happen. I would even give you 2-1 odds.

And honestly, that fabrication of a phone call on Dec 6th.. that's the lie he created to come clean finally.. because, it seems as though, people were digging into this whole ordeal..

But with Pearl Harbor Day being December 7th, think of the shame of his people had he come clean then while they were in mourning. This poor guy.

People realize that Catfish the movie is fake, don't they?

Will not happen. I would bet you a Romney-sized bet of real cash that it will not happen. I would even give you 2-1 odds.

There's a less than 1% chance it will happen, it completely depends on whether Swarbrick and the ND guys decide to make some calls to the AUSA and then whether or not the person assigned to look into it is a Michigan or ND grad. Those guys don't like being made to look like suckers.

Latest posts