Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend... is a Hoax

I think it is hilarious that OF4P and Ghost were talking about Catfish just earlier today and then this comes out.

And he is in on it, no doubt. And then in 10 years when he is out of the NFL another story will come out about him not liking girls. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Some guy just called into the Miller n Brinson show saying he had a roommate in the army who made up an online girlfriend because he was homosexual and didn't want to go out with the guys because he was afraid of being outed. It's a big leap of faith but it at least makes you wonder.

It's like he was message board trolling, this was just in real life.

If I were Te'o's lawyer I would advise him to come clean ASAP if he was involved. The Feds have charged a few people for terms of service violations under 18 USC Section 1030 and it is a hot topic right now among IP and privacy lawyers because the Feds are taking such a broad reading of the statute (which was written in 1984). Of course, the statute contains provisions covering conspiracies to violate it as well. Thus, if the twitter poster violated the TOS of twitter and Te'o knew of the activities he could be charged as a principal. If the Feds start looking into this and expend any effort or money tracing what happened and they find out he was involved, they could be super angry their time was wasted and ring the guy up. The statute carries up to a 5 year prison sentence. The guy really needs to lawyer up ASAP if he was involved. Thankfully, ghost and I are not violating any TOS on this site because when we signed up Miller didn't have any terms of service or click through agreement so we can troll away at will (provided we don't offend Miller), but twitter actually has a legal department.

This isn't a Teo conspiracy, it's a Notre Dame conspiracy. They don't have a big conference to negotiate their TV deal for them, they have to be attractive all on their own. And they are negotiating their next contract right now. What better way to appeal to TV audiences then by combining the ascendant reality TV format with their core football product?

Coming Next Season on NBC: Notre Dame football - entertainment for the whole family. Sports for the men, and drama for the ladies.

If Notre Dame wasn't in on it, then their trustees are failing their fiduciary duties.

If I were Te'o's lawyer I would advise him to come clean ASAP if he was involved. The Feds have charged a few people for terms of service violations under 18 USC Section 1030 and it is a hot topic right now among IP and privacy lawyers because the Feds are taking such a broad reading of the statute (which was written in 1984). Of course, the statute contains provisions covering conspiracies to violate it as well. Thus, if the twitter poster violated the TOS of twitter and Te'o knew of the activities he could be charged as a principal. If the Feds start looking into this and expend any effort or money tracing what happened and they find out he was involved, they could be super angry their time was wasted and ring the guy up. The statute carries up to a 5 year prison sentence. The guy really needs to lawyer up ASAP if he was involved. Thankfully, ghost and I are not violating any TOS on this site because when we signed up Miller didn't have any terms of service or click through agreement so we can troll away at will (provided we don't offend Miller), but twitter actually has a legal department.

He will not be charged with anything that you mention above. No chance.

This isn't a Teo conspiracy, it's a Notre Dame conspiracy. They don't have a big conference to negotiate their TV deal for them, they have to be attractive all on their own. And they are negotiating their next contract right now. What better way to appeal to TV audiences then by combining the ascendant reality TV format with their core football product?

Coming Next Season on NBC: Notre Dame football - entertainment for the whole family. Sports for the men, and drama for the ladies.

If Notre Dame wasn't in on it, then their trustees are failing their fiduciary duties.

It is always a conspiracy with you, isn't it Lyd?

Also--good point regarding JDM's site.

MILLER!!! WHERE ARE YOUR TERMS OF USE? GET SOME PROMPTLY. IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN THE FACT THAT THE DMCA IS VIOLATED ALMOST DAILY IN THE POLITICAL FORUM AND YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT BECOME LIABLE PURSUANT TO THAT STATUTE.

This is awesome. I love every aspect of this, but I think for sure that he was in on it. Can't wait for his apology statement. I'm thinking he talks this over with the lawyers and damage control over the weekend and admits to it and does a heartfelt apology statement on Monday.

This is awesome. I love every aspect of this, but I think for sure that he was in on it. Can't wait for his apology statement. I'm thinking he talks this over with the lawyers and damage control over the weekend and admits to it and does a heartfelt apology statement on Monday.

Statement will actually be an interview with Oprah

I don't care about the fact the Mr. Te'o (obviously) lied or that he continues to lie about it, nor do I care if it influenced his national visibility, as football is ultimately pretty unimportant. What's upsetting about this is that it's just another example of how completely and utterly f---ing worthless the media is. They might as well just be reprinting press releases at this point.

So this guy never met her, yet he makes a big deal out of her being the "love of his life".

He's not the victim of a hoax. He's an idiot.

No he and his father are liars, as they both said in prior interviews that he had met her and seen her several times including when she was in the hospital.

That's what makes ND's press release so bad.

And people think Iowa's SID office has problems......

...If what Derpy Jack says is true.. that multiple people are were "in on it".. where was the motive? The people mentioned in the Deadspin article all seem to be friends or "close" to Teo.

It's near impossible to believe Teo wasn't a part of this in some way, shape or form. Whether for publicity or to hide homosexuality or some other reason.. the only people I see supporting them are the most mouthbreathing of ND Fans..

Out of nowhere.. An Arizona Cardinals player claims to have met the girl..

W..T..F??

Story of Manti Te'o girlfriend and her death apparently a hoax - ESPN
Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.
"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."
Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.
"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "
He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."
Te'o is training in preparation for the NFL draft at the IMG Institute in Bradenton, Fla. He is No. 8 on Mel Kiper's latest draft board.

Latest posts