Loved the latest Miller/Deace Podcast evaluating the Iowa program

Off topic, but did anyone see this interview. Just brutal....but a hot mess is still better than getting owned in the paint like at the Barn I guess.

Mr. Davis was gutted by the death of Chris Street.

He had reached his zenith, but uncertain why he was jettisoned and someone like Fran and Kirk seem to have an open ended check?

Davis took our program in the wrong direction. Most coaches would have tho.

Just saw ESPN's bracketology and they STILL have three teams who are below us in the standings and absolutely in free fall (Indiana, Ohio State and Nebraska) getting into the dance. We would almost have to lose eight of ten or nine ten to fall below all three of those teams.

KenPom LOVES Nebraska. Still has them 22nd, well above Iowa. Then again, Nebraska is ranked about ninety spots above us in adjusted D.

Don't be so sure that won't happen....here is the trends of Fran's teams
upload_2019-1-30_14-23-44.png

And one other thing to compare Fran and Davis on........(which is stating the obvious again) Davis had Iowa in the Big Dance every year with exception of 4 years out of 13 (and 2 of those years still made the post season with NIT).....Fran had to dig the program out of the ground.....but only 3 tourney appearance (probably another this year) in his 9 years. 3 NITS for Fran. An average year for Mr. Davis was the NCAA tournament. A good year for Fran has been making the NCAA tournament. Not exactly the same footing or feeling there either.

The ceiling for Mr. Davis was the Elite 8.
The ceiling for Fran, thus far, has been the round of 32.
Mr. Davis started on 2nd base, maybe even 3rd with the players at his disposal. Fran came in as a pinch-hitter during Lickliter's at bat, as Lickliter had just swung the bat and somehow had managed to hit himself in his noggin knocking himself out, with the count 0-2. So, they started no where close to the same place.

Interestingly enough, both Mr. Davis and Fran failed to make either the NCAA or the NIT in their 8th year with the team. In the preceding 3 years, Mr. Davis had gotten to the 2nd round of the tournament each year, while Fran got to the tournament twice (once to the 2nd round) and once to the NIT. In the following 5 years, Mr. Davis went to the tournament 3 times (most famously to the round of 16 his last year) and the NIT twice. How Fran does over the balance of his contract, which I think is roughly if not exactly the next 5 years, will be the best way to compare him to Mr. Davis.

You know I have taken notice :cool:

You know it buddy. My target doesn't change. I've been pretty transparent with my expectations. We're making the dance this year. Next year, I want something. Something. A B1G outright, tourney or sweet 16. I don't know that failing to hit those 3 marks are fire your coach kind of deals, but I personally will be ready to move on unless I get something to cling to. The weird thing about the NCAA is that, and I am not saying it will, but depending on a matchup, could happen this year. Could happen next year. I don't care, I just need something, ya know? Something note worthy to keep supporting him.

Don't be so sure that won't happen....here is the trends of Fran's teams
View attachment 4917
I brought up in another thread that the calendar is about to turn to February, and we are about to go around the league a second time. This is when coaches start to earn their keep, and the best find a way to the top almost every year.

Fran has quietly had his moments in February. But they have easily been overshadowed by the two epic collapses you spell out in your graphic.

It was Alford in 06/07, TD also beat Iowa State in Hilton that year.
Mr. Davis did one hell of a nice thing for his son. He set him up at Drake well enough for Keno to sucker Providence into giving him a nice payday. Thanks Dad.

Mr. Davis did one hell of a nice thing for his son. He set him up at Drake well enough for Keno to sucker Providence into giving him a nice payday. Thanks Dad.

True, although Keno is making a nice living coaching at Central Michigan. He seems to be a perfect mid-major coach.

There are too many if's, and's and but's in that post for me. *IF* Fran does these things, then I'll give him credit for it. Until then, it's all hypothetical.

Point well taken. Yes, Fran has to actually do it. Getting out of the first weekend of the tournament just once and he pretty much matches what Mr. Davis did here(minus the 86-87 season).

I do not think it is a reach that by year 13, Fran will have a sweet 16 on his resume.

It is a completely different game with how it’s being played and with the overall talent level of the players. It has decreased dramatically at the college level. Teams from the 1980s and early 1990s were far superior to the teams we see today outside.

I completely agree. The individual skills such as ball handling have improved but this is not translating into better team play. Team play has really suffered and I think much to do with that is the AAU influence.

True, although Keno is making a nice living coaching at Central Michigan. He seems to be a perfect mid-major coach.
You don't suppose he's on Barta's short list, do you? Every AD has one for basketball and football. Then again our AD has extended his men into the middle of the next decade.

There is not a player on the Iowa roster who was alive when Tom Davis was coach. How long do we have to reminisce whimsically about his tenure?

Latest posts