Loved the latest Miller/Deace Podcast evaluating the Iowa program

Iowa was a way better program back then tho. That has to count for something. If Fran makes the tourney this year, it will be 4 of the last 6. At worst he's a hair behind Davis.

To be fair , take away the 1st 4 years of both and compare . Mr. Davis could adapt his schemes to his players talents , just the opposite of Fran . I would give the better coaching and bringing players along during their time at Iowa to Mr. Davis . I was going to give Fran the edge on recruiting , but as I think of it , going to call it a wash . Last years team layed an egg for Fran , I don't remember the actual year , but the good Dr had an early team with his recruits ( not Ravelings ) that was similar . For me it is no contest , Mr. Davis by a mile .

I just want to see this team go .500 rest of the way and for once over achieve in conference tournament. 1 ncaa win.

Maybe thats asking a lot. But fans were right to be upset with coaching and roster last year.

If iowa misses tourny still you prepare for firing fran next season But first fire barta somehow.

I'm not sure why Deace gets some of the bad rap that he does. He breaks down sports angles as objectively using logic as much as anyone out there. He is very self aware of biases yet he calls things how he sees it. I enjoy hearing his takes too.

He has great insight into college football. His basketball is nowhere near as good, but he has neutral takes that are both good and bad for Hawkeye fans to hear.

His occasional political rants are annoying as shit, but I guess it comes with the territory.

Fran's third year with Cook and JBo, fourth year with Baer and Moss, second year with Kreiner and Garza, if Iowa fans can't expect an NCAA appearance this year than when should we? Not making the NCAA Tourney this year should be viewed as a failure simple as that. Either poor coaching, poor recruiting, or bad luck, take your pick. Waiting another year is not an option. Making the Tourney is imperative for Fran, and honestly winning a Big Ten tournament first-round game would go a long way with fans as well.

Fran's third year with Cook and JBo, fourth year with Baer and Moss, second year with Kreiner and Garza, if Iowa fans can't expect an NCAA appearance this year than when should we? Not making the NCAA Tourney this year should be viewed as a failure simple as that. Either poor coaching, poor recruiting, or bad luck, take your pick. Waiting another year is not an option. Making the Tourney is imperative for Fran, and honestly winning a Big Ten tournament first-round game would go a long way with fans as well.

5th year with Baer (he redshirted his first year) and 3rd year with Kriener (same class as Cook & Bohannon).

I guess this actually increases your point. ;)

I'm not sure why Deace gets some of the bad rap that he does. He breaks down sports angles as objectively using logic as much as anyone out there. He is very self aware of biases yet he calls things how he sees it. I enjoy hearing his takes too.
I think he's extremely insightful. It really opens your eyes to hear an unbiased opinion on Iowa sports. Unfortunately, many people disagree with his politics (which he doesn't bring into the Iowa pods) so they automatically hate everything he says, does, eats, wears, etc. Those are the times we are in. Gotta hate anything you disagree with.:rolleyes:

I thought Deace laid it out where I am with things too. Fran's been decent, not great. He needs to make a run at something significant for fans to hold onto or it's time for a change. My bar was the NCAA this season, still is, the bar will raise next year even with the loss of Cook.

I think he's extremely insightful. It really opens your eyes to hear an unbiased opinion on Iowa sports. Unfortunately, many people disagree with his politics (which he doesn't bring into the Iowa pods) so they automatically hate everything he says, does, eats, wears, etc. Those are the times we are in. Gotta hate anything you disagree with.:rolleyes:
That's pretty much it right there. Yeah thankfully I can disagree with folks and leave it at that. I've yet to find someone I agree with everything on yet... But somehow I can still function in society.

It is quite a set up, this business of college sports. It is made for longevity and mediocrity and $$$ for the legion of people who are near the cash register.

"Success" is a tournament invite in BB. How many teams? 100?

"Success" is a bowl invite in FB. How many teams? 100?

This system keeps average coaches and their entourage in the $$$ system. If their lack of success is challenged it is often met with spin and rage, or silent death stares. Or, the gold standard, referring to what they do as making citizens.

ADs and all their staff, and many more, and not even counting the NCAA thousands, rely on this $$$ for their own longevity and pensions.

Players are "students/serfs" who aren't allowed to be paid.

Fans who set their sights too high, like championship high, are mostly disappointed. We lack the understanding that the system isn't about winning championships, it is about keeping in the $$$ pool.

So what is "failure?" One dare not ask such a thing.

Just saw ESPN's bracketology and they STILL have three teams who are below us in the standings and absolutely in free fall (Indiana, Ohio State and Nebraska) getting into the dance. We would almost have to lose eight of ten or nine ten to fall below all three of those teams.

KenPom LOVES Nebraska. Still has them 22nd, well above Iowa. Then again, Nebraska is ranked about ninety spots above us in adjusted D.

Fortunately for me, my political thoughts and ideologies run pretty parallel with Deace's.
Same here and that may be a part of it. He rarely interjects his politics into these though. He might bring up some things that may be similar between the two realms of sports and politics but it's not like he's up there bashing the Clintons or praising any republican. I don't agree with every take of his on Iowa or sports either. To me that's half the fun of sports. But I enjoy his perspective and how he articulates his thoughts on things. If I had a problem with disagreeing with folks on sports I sure wouldn't spend the time communicating all you fine folks :)

Just saw ESPN's bracketology and they STILL have three teams who are below us in the standings and absolutely in free fall (Indiana, Ohio State and Nebraska) getting into the dance. We would almost have to lose eight of ten or nine ten to fall below all three of those teams.

KenPom LOVES Nebraska. Still has them 22nd, well above Iowa. Then again, Nebraska is ranked about ninety spots above us in adjusted D.

Nebraska was only playing 6 or 7 guys and then lost Copeland Jr. last weekend, maybe their best or 2nd best player. I think Nebraska stock will fall like a rock. It's still gonna be tough to beat them on the road considering they will likely be playing for their tournament lives. I am hoping the rails have completely fallen off by then.

Latest posts