Loved the autopsy article on the front page

As I said in another thread, Fran is pretty tame compared to Izzo, Coach K, and a lot of other coaches who have been very successful. The premise seems like complete BS to me.

It also seems to be a little bit unfair for Schwartz to speculate like this, unless maybe he was told something directly by one of the players?

Pretty worthless article IMO, but frankly it's what I've come to expect from the writer.

And I don't even have a clue what the writer is talking about in number 2. It's pretty obvious that Uthoff struggles at taking charge with the game on the line. Fran has also said over and over he wants Uthoff to shoot more. That's why Fran said "ask him". He's frustrated with Uthoff for not taking shots. Uthoff saying the ball didn't come to him was just an excuse for not going and getting the ball. It's pretty cut and dry what that was all about. A star player being too passive. Which we all already knew.

Unfortunately Jarrod is soft. I hate saying it, because it is a major slam on the kid. And I like the guy. But it true. And everyone knows it. JU had a chance to change that this season. For awhile there we thought he was going to pull through. The he faded as the season went on.

Unfortunately for Jarrod it will cost him millions. Literally. He ain't no alpha dog, and he proved it. Sure he will make plenty of money. At least I hope he does. But he played himself out of being a 1st rounder and guaranteed money.

Fran has overtly toned it down on the sidelines the last few years. But coaches are going to yell and they are going to cuss. If you can't take it and you are going to tense up because you are sensitive, then I suggest you do something different. Perhaps take out student loans to pay for college?
Thank God he did. Fran was an embarrassment when he'd wig out. He looked so dumb, how could anyone listen or take that seriously when he'd do it five times a game. Get counseling

Fran has improved and I give him credit for that. Winning helps that. I imagine he wants to coach his kids and that means changing some of the behavior.

Fran didn't have the advantage of Izzo in being a part of the program for a long time. Also Izzo didn't have to do cpr on MSU.

That said Izzo and Fran are different than most of todays coaches. Izzo came to a winner and continued it. He likely would have crossed the line at times if he had to build from zero.

That said, Fran does have extra "style" in his rampages that makes him appear over the top at times (less now than early on). Usually people are better in public than behind closed doors. That could be concerning.

I"m guessing not many on this board would put up with a rampaging boss at work very long and not just millennials.

In re to the comment about JU, he never played himself out of the first rounder. He was never in. He had a few really great games, but not enough to be the "man". The ISU game showed scouts what they needed to know.

He is a quality and smart player. He was always at best a role player in the NBA. At best he was a Hansen, which is pretty good. Likely not that level, but maybe. He didn't play himself out. What he didn't do was play himself in and that wasn't likely. He may also be hurt by leaving a program and then apparently having issues with the new coach. Leaving Wisky and joining Iowa if the issues were with coaches was like this:
http://tinyurl.com/h2f57cj

Fran flipped the F out at the team during the last tv timeout of the first half against Villanova. It looked like he had so much disgust built up, he just needed to explode and boy did he ever. Speraw got in on it as well and Fran came back to the huddle for more. I loved it

David did a great joby breaking down the season. Real Sports on HBO not to long back (within the last few months) did a feature on college coaches and how they can bully their players behind the scenes. In a lot of cases, student athletes can be treated like indentured servants and can be belitted for a lack of performance in practice and in games. College athletes can be "off the books required" by the coaches to spend extra time in the gym and less time hitting the books (and be called *ussies for not putting in the time even though the NCAA does not require it). They can be called inappropriate names and be physically assaulted under the coaches watch.

Not to say Fran goes to such extremes, but he has cussed at this players during games, slammed a chair in another year, and has certainly blown up at press conferences this year.

Hopefully, player relations can be improved in the coming years if anything detrimental is going on behind the scenes and in public.

"Hello, let me introduce myself, I'm L field........." ????:confused:

Fran has improved and I give him credit for that. Winning helps that. I imagine he wants to coach his kids and that means changing some of the behavior.

Fran didn't have the advantage of Izzo in being a part of the program for a long time. Also Izzo didn't have to do cpr on MSU.

That said Izzo and Fran are different than most of todays coaches. Izzo came to a winner and continued it. He likely would have crossed the line at times if he had to build from zero.

That said, Fran does have extra "style" in his rampages that makes him appear over the top at times (less now than early on). Usually people are better in public than behind closed doors. That could be concerning.

I"m guessing not many on this board would put up with a rampaging boss at work very long and not just millennials.

In re to the comment about JU, he never played himself out of the first rounder. He was never in. He had a few really great games, but not enough to be the "man". The ISU game showed scouts what they needed to know.

He is a quality and smart player. He was always at best a role player in the NBA. At best he was a Hansen, which is pretty good. Likely not that level, but maybe. He didn't play himself out. What he didn't do was play himself in and that wasn't likely. He may also be hurt by leaving a program and then apparently having issues with the new coach. Leaving Wisky and joining Iowa if the issues were with coaches was like this:

Fran has said when he came here he was trying to instill a winning culture. Trying to bring fire back to the program. I think most of his antics early was a contrived effort to do that. I think today's Fran is the real Fran. Definitely still on the side of crazy coach. Just not on the extreme side.

Thank God he did. Fran was an embarrassment when he'd wig out. He looked so dumb, how could anyone listen or take that seriously when he'd do it five times a game. Get counseling

Probably Barta and Sally Mason had a little sit-down with him a few years ago about his behavior and he's made changes accordingly. Or maybe his son having cancer changed his perspective. Or both.

Fran flipped the F out at the team during the last tv timeout of the first half against Villanova. It looked like he had so much disgust built up, he just needed to explode and boy did he ever. Speraw got in on it as well and Fran came back to the huddle for more. I loved it

Didn't really have much impact on the game though, did it?

The whole thing about Fran not allowing Gesell to answer the question about the out of bounds play, I interpreted as Fran protecting Mike from having to take the bullet for the play, not that he was particularly upset by the question. His sometimes curt manner of speaking can be off-putting to some, I suppose, but I saw this instance as one where Fran wasn't going to let Mike say it was his fault - because when the question was asked, it was not known how Mike would answer it - Fran jumped in and ended the conversation. Maybe Fran could have taken the heat by saying he called a bad play, but that's in retrospect.

People are so sensitive these days.

So George Niang is that guy? A 1st rounder you can build a franchise around, a game changer.

Not in the context of what this thread is about. Players tensing up because they're afraid of their coach.

Bob Knight, Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo all have one thing in common that Fran doesn't have. The first 3 won't play guys that keep making the same mental mistakes, over and over again. They won't play guys that can't or don't want to run the offense/defense they are asked to do. They'll sit you on the bench as long as it takes to get it through your head. You'll either get with the program or transfer out.
I can't think of a single time over the 10 game debacle, where Fran changed the starting line up. If you can't figure out what buttons to push and arse chewing isn't getting it done, the only thing left to do is sit them on the bench. You can't just throw up your hands and hope they figure it out because they won't (and they didn't).
That makes it difficult to coach your young players accordingly. Your message is either inconsistent or not what you want to send.

So George Niang is that guy? A 1st rounder you can build a franchise around, a game changer.

Your response is irrelevant to the statement unless you like putting words in peoples mouths.

Niang is not a concern of mine. He's a Clone. I was speaking about a Hawk. I simply said he never earned the 1st Rounder. He might have played himself in with continued success. Maybe. Has nothing to do with Niang.

David did a great joby breaking down the season. Real Sports on HBO not to long back (within the last few months) did a feature on college coaches and how they can bully their players behind the scenes. In a lot of cases, student athletes can be treated like indentured servants and can be belitted for a lack of performance in practice and in games. College athletes can be "off the books required" by the coaches to spend extra time in the gym and less time hitting the books (and be called *ussies for not putting in the time even though the NCAA does not require it). They can be called inappropriate names and be physically assaulted under the coaches watch.

Not to say Fran goes to such extremes, but he has cussed at this players during games, slammed a chair in another year, and has certainly blown up at press conferences this year.

Hopefully, player relations can be improved in the coming years if anything detrimental is going on behind the scenes and in public.

if I had quit every time a coach swore at me or called me a "colorful" name I wouldn't have lasted one practice. Trust me, your team mates are WAY worse. Kids these days need to grow a pair

Bob Knight, Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo all have one thing in common that Fran doesn't have. The first 3 won't play guys that keep making the same mental mistakes, over and over again. They won't play guys that can't or don't want to run the offense/defense they are asked to do. They'll sit you on the bench as long as it takes to get it through your head. You'll either get with the program or transfer out.
I can't think of a single time over the 10 game debacle, where Fran changed the starting line up. If you can't figure out what buttons to push and arse chewing isn't getting it done, the only thing left to do is sit them on the bench. You can't just throw up your hands and hope they figure it out because they won't (and they didn't).
That makes it difficult to coach your young players accordingly. Your message is either inconsistent or not what you want to send.

I completely agree with your post. Fran was in a tough situation tho with the way the roster was this year.