Kirk apparently confirms Jake is the starter

the only area he is superior is experience wise. He earned the job last year when he was the best option at QB. Not this year. Our O has been anemic at best with him in Mr Rudock. CJ has surpassed him and JR has hit his ceiling.

:rolleyes:

Man I hope you didn't mean what you you said here.

What I think you meant to say is that the only thing Jake has over CJ is experience, and even that statement is so wrong, it makes me wonder if you actually watched either of them play. In case you hadn't though, one has a completion percentage of 67% and the other has one of 54% this year.

While we have yet to play a COMPLETE game in 2014, the simple question is this ... the Iowa offense has looked its best with who at the QB position? CJ ... No ifs, ands, or buts ... The running game has improved (though still sluggish) ... and that is because of CJs ability and willingness to take shots down the field ... Come on Kirk ... ride CJ and go with it until he proves otherwise ...

LOL, 1981... The 2-0 playing two QB's was not because of Jake's play, see Pitt game. I'm not putting this all on the QB's, the play calling has been terrible as well. My point is, playing 2 QB's rarely works.

We'll see. Usually when you play two QBs it means both guys are equally bad. I don't think that's the case here. The drawback is the timing with WRs and that might be minimized if each QB has his own group of WRs. Also, I don't see the added pressure as a drawback as long as each know they are going to get playing time.

While we have yet to play a COMPLETE game in 2014, the simple question is this ... the Iowa offense has looked its best with who at the QB position? CJ ... No ifs, ands, or buts ... The running game has improved (though still sluggish) ... and that is because of CJs ability and willingness to take shots down the field ... Come on Kirk ... ride CJ and go with it until he proves otherwise ...

Amazingly, it also looked it's worst with CJ at qb and therein lies the problem.

I know, that's blasphemous to say around these parts with the hard-on some of you have for James Vandenberg 2.0.

So at this point my new perspective is idk and whoTF cares. Start whoever you want. We've literally talked about this for 3,274 threads now. Beathard is Montana Jesus and jake is basically equivalent to jake c. Go every other play for all I care, Jesus throw only bombs jake only two yard outs. End of discussion.

Amazingly, it also looked it's worst with CJ at qb and therein lies the problem.

I know, that's blasphemous to say around these parts with the hard-on some of you have for James Vandenberg 2.0.

You obviously slept through the ISU game.

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but I have to say it. CJ may not be better than Jake right now. The offense looked better with him in the game during the second half at Pitt, but he struggled early on against Purdue. However, he seemed to get some rhythm once the game progressed. I don't think anybody can say CJ has been worse than Jake. But you can say he has been at least as good or better than Jake. The big difference is physical tools and upside. We can and will do more on offense eventually with CJ as the starter. We know what we have in Jake.

With that said, if Jake plays every down this year and struggles, I would never boo him. As a matter of fact, I would love nothing more to be wrong and for Jake to come out and light up Indiana. I will happily come back and eat crow and cheer the Hawks on just the same, and I have been team CJ all year. I just want what's best for the team. I think the future is brighter with Sunshine.

Iowa had 3 drives of 3 or fewer plays against ISU and one of those was right before the half.

In the first half alone against Purdue, Iowa had 7.
We scored 17 points against ISU, and more importantly, we lost. We scored 24 against Purdue, and won.

Iowa had 3 drives of 3 or fewer plays against ISU and one of those was right before the half.

In the first half alone against Purdue, Iowa had 7.

There were 5-6 dropped passes in the first half against Purdue, the majority at or beyond the sticks. Against ISU, the passes weren't reaching the sticks.

But, I'm sure you took that into account.

We scored 17 points against ISU, and more importantly, we lost. We scored 24 against Purdue, and won.

iowa's defense played much better against Purdue (and Purdue's offense just plain sucks).

Iowa scored 17 points on 9 possessions against ISU for 1.88 points/possession

Iowa scored 24 points on 15 possessions against Purdue for 1.6 points/possession

I still find this hard to fathom when there are two weeks of practice upcoming.

What if CJ just grades out totally better than JR in practice.

Is KF going to change his mind, I hope so or other players are going to wonder what the hell.

Kurt made his decision last year. He said so himself.

Just imagine what any rational football coach would do, then imagine the opposite and realixe that is what Kurt will do. Then you wont be surprised.

“Playing the hot hand” and “No predetermined # of series” is an open-ended way of saying, “This is a transitional phase for CJB getting the keys to the family Taurus." Rudock is done as the full-time starter, I think everyone including the staff knows that. KF just wants to bring CJB along a little more before making him the face of the program, possibly bye-week post Maryland.

iowa's defense played much better against Purdue (and Purdue's offense just plain sucks).

Iowa scored 17 points on 9 possessions against ISU for 1.88 points/possession

Iowa scored 24 points on 15 possessions against Purdue for 1.6 points/possession
I get why you and others don't see it as a no brainer. But if we take the FG to put us up by 3, and kick a FG at the end of the game when we were inside the 5 (after a beautiful CJ through, we could have scored 30, or 2 points/possession. Factor in drops, the fact that the QB was making his first career start on the road, and that ISU has maybe the worst defense we will see all year, and I would say CJ has more upside than Jake. I fully admit, CJ did not look good early. Some of that was probably nerves, some of that could be timing, or over thinking. Whatever it was, he shook it off and ended up playing pretty darn well has the game went on.

I get why you and others don't see it as a no brainer. But if we take the FG to put us up by 3, and kick a FG at the end of the game when we were inside the 5 (after a beautiful CJ through, we could have scored 30, or 2 points/possession. Factor in drops, the fact that the QB was making his first career start on the road, and that ISU has maybe the worst defense we will see all year, and I would say CJ has more upside than Jake. I fully admit, CJ did not look good early. Some of that was probably nerves, some of that could be timing, or over thinking. Whatever it was, he shook it off and ended up playing pretty darn well has the game went on.

Not to mention Iowa's 15th possession was a kneel down...pretty stupid to include that. It was a complete garbage possession where Iowa wasn't attempting to score.

Rudock is a far superior QB than JC was. So this is actually a horrible comparison.

McCann/Banks is a closer comparison, but CJ is no Brad.

Edited for auto-correct mistake.

How so? There were team losses as a result of keeping Stanzi on the bench. ISU this year is a win if they pull the trigger sooner. Jake gave everything he could to beat an FCS UNI team and a bad Ball State team.

Latest posts