Kirk apparently confirms Jake is the starter

:rolleyes:

Man I hope you didn't mean what you you said here.

What I think you meant to say is that the only thing Jake has over CJ is experience, and even that statement is so wrong, it makes me wonder if you actually watched either of them play. In case you hadn't though, one has a completion percentage of 67% and the other has one of 54% this year.

JR's 67% completion %, has yielded averages of 6.3 ypa / 9.4 ypc / 228 ypg.
CJB's 54% has yielded averages of 7.6 ypa / 14.0 ypc avg / 242 ypg.
-- (Numbers are skewed down by a much larger number of drops over a smaller number of attempts, at least 6 drops on CJB to 2 or 3 on JR.)

JR has commanded the offense to 20.6 ppg and a 2W - 1.5L record against #7 FCS defense, #56 and #103 FBS defenses.
CJB has commanded the offense to 27.3 ppg and a 1.5W - 0L record against #8 and #65 FBS defenses.

Not only have I watched them play, I've watched JR regress from his 4th qtr comeback vs Ball State to a very bad performance vs ISU and Pitt. Meanwhile, I've watched CJB work through the 1st half of Purdue and look very strong -- poised, precise and proficient -- as he settled in and the game progressed.

As others have stated, the ceiling is much higher with CJB and while you can cite completion %, I'll cite production and W's.

Not to mention Iowa's 15th possession was a kneel down...pretty stupid to include that. It was a complete garbage possession where Iowa wasn't attempting to score.

I included Iowa running out the clock in the last half of the first half against ISU, so it was only fair to include that one against Purdue.

And as always, if the stats don't back up your claims, try to change the stats.

The funny thing is I don't even think Jake should be the full time starter. But some of you guys' belief that CJ is clearly better astounds me.

Some of you guys should lay off the crack cocaine.

giphy.gif

Not surprised either. I think when KF analyzed it, this was the best option for him. He starts JR, and if JR excels, cool. CJ stays put. If JR struggles, he brings in CJ. JR is the steady guy who can guide the team and stay out of trouble, early. CJ is the spark off the bench rally guy, who can shred prevent defense that plays soft, protecting a lead.

I think this is the rotating QB system.....JR starts and plays until we are in trouble, then go to CJ to save the day.
So, you're suggesting KF doesn't think Jake can save the day? And how long does KF wait to bring in the closer (CJB)? And how many games could have a large enough Iowa point margin to safely bring in reserves for playing time?

JR actually has a 67% completion %, however, it has yielded averages of 6.3 ypa / 9.4 ypc / 228 ypg.
-- (Numbers are skewed down by a much larger number of drops over a smaller number of attempts, at least 6 drops on CJB to 2 or 3 on JR.)

JR has commanded the offense to 20.6 ppg and a 2W - 1.5L record against #7 FCS defense, #56 and #103 FBS defenses.
CJB has commanded the offense to 27.3 ppg and a 1.5W - 0L record against #8 and #65 FBS defenses.

Not only have I watched them play, I've watched JR regress from his 4th qtr comeback vs Ball State to a very bad performance vs ISU and Pitt. Meanwhile, I've watched CJB work through the 1st half of Purdue and look very strong -- poised, precise and proficient -- as he settled in and the game progressed.

As others have stated, the ceiling is much higher with CJB and while you can cite completion %, I'll cite production and W's.

The fact you think he played poorly at Pitt really tells me all I need to know. I also like how you just pulled those drop figures out of your *** as if they were facts. Really well done.

Yep, if you go for the checkdown everytime you're going to have a higher completion %. YPA is the important stat. CJ did improve a lot in the 2nd half. I think he was nervous to start and the whole team wasn't playing well either. The offense had almost 300 yds offense the 2nd half against Purdue, and that's good no matter who you're playing.

Like Jon has said, If Rudock struggles early he will get booed off the field. It's unfortunate and i hate to see it happen, but its the truth. It's too bad that Kirk is going to put a kid in that situation. Reading between the lines, it feels like GD wants CJ, offense has more life with CJ and it helps the running game. Fans aren't blind or stupid. It's not hard to see who should be starting. Kirk will do what he wants even when he's in the minority. He seems comfortable with struggling as long as it is his way. Frustrating for sure. let's see if the 2 QB crap will work. Go Hawks.

If Jake... or any other Hawkeye player... EVER gets booed off the field
shame on you and every alleged fan who participates. What an incredibly
STUPID thing to say.

I included Iowa running out the clock in the last half of the first half against ISU, so it was only fair to include that one against Purdue.

The funny thing is I don't even think Jake should be the full time starter. But some of you guys' belief that CJ is clearly better astounds me.

I'm not completely opposed to the "hot-hand" approach. Nor do I necessarily believe CJ is "clearly better" than JR. I certainly believe the team is clearly better with CJB at QB, rather than JR. There's no arguing the stats, there.

What I'm saying is CJB is clearly equal to Jake after one start. Jake's had 17 starts.

Kurt's like a heavyweight boxer with a massive right hook who just throws left jabs, while his corner screams at him to throw the hook.

He will not succumb to peer pressure. He will not throw the hook. He knows best. He's gonna get that split decision, maybe.

Yeah... here's the thing... you aren't Kirk's peer. Not even close.

iowa's defense played much better against Purdue (and Purdue's offense just plain sucks).

Iowa scored 17 points on 9 possessions against ISU for 1.88 points/possession

Iowa scored 24 points on 15 possessions against Purdue for 1.6 points/possession

But they did have a lot of opportunities to score. 2 trips inside the 10 netted 0 points. Some of that is on CJ, he was throwing the ball. Some of its on WRs who dropped the ball. Some of it lies for KF for not taking the easy FGs. But they did have a lot of opportunities to score with CJ.

“Playing the hot handâ€￾ and “No predetermined # of seriesâ€￾ is an open-ended way of saying, “This is a transitional phase for CJB getting the keys to the family Taurus." Rudock is done as the full-time starter, I think everyone including the staff knows that. KF just wants to bring CJB along a little more before making him the face of the program, possibly bye-week post Maryland.
I think this might be whats going on. CJB does have a ways to go. But I think its clear he has a chance to be special if he continues to develop into a good game manager and not just a Gun Slinger. We need to trust our coach right now

And CJB also seems to throw downfield more often, so I would expect his completion percentage to be a bit lower. Heck, I could probably complete 67% if I was throwing to guys who were 2 yards down field.

To throw the ball back in your court.....why was Iowa in the position where Jake had to have a big 4th quarter? Where was he in quarters 1-3? Where was he the entire Iowa State game?

He was probably in the same place as our running game. And our running game has yet to find it's way onto the field.

I know JR wants to start, who wouldnt, but we all also know that unless JR is holding back on zipping his passes he doesnt have the arm for the next level. JR throws a nice ball with touch on passes up the sideline against cover two and such.

But he couldnt throw a fast enough long out pattern against top flight nfl dbacks.

My point is that JR cant be upset that if he gets benched he is losing his shot at the NFL. Not unless he thinks his arm strength will improve in the next year and a half.

A number of NFL quarterbacks can't throw a fast enough long out pattern against top flight NFL d-backs. Why would we expect either of our Power 5 quarterbacks to do so?

Latest posts