Kirk apparently confirms Jake is the starter

THIS!!! And sacks, and a pick six, and bad pocket presence, and open receivers, and an under thrown deep ball, and plenty of check downs, etc. I am fine with jake getting the start.

First road start of his career and he dusted off the rust. His numbers for his first game were good enough to win my 14. Do you think Jake saves the day at Pitt? Which is a lousy team that just lost to Akron

Personally, I'd start CJ. But I'm not as livid as some fans about Kirk's decision. He's thinking of the team more broadly, and standing on the principle that you don't lose your job because of injury.

As for JR being "terrible" against Iowa State, that may be: he was 16/24, 6.1 YPA, 54.9 rating. But CJB against Purdue was 17/37, 6.6 YPA for a 39.6 rating. Less drops would help, but that's true for JR also.

Again, I think starting CJ is the right call. Just disagree that it's a "no brainer" for the head coach, all things considered. What would make me mad is if JR starts, AND struggles (failure to target open downfield receivers needs to count as 'struggling'), AND isn't replaced.

Losing your job due to injury is just the way the business works....I am pretty sure the rams weren't going to win the super bowl if Trent Green came back from his injury. You have to capitailze on your opportunities....CJ did that and deserves to be QB1

Kurt's like a heavyweight boxer with a massive right hook who just throws left jabs, while his corner screams at him to throw the hook.

He will not succumb to peer pressure. He will not throw the hook. He knows best. He's gonna get that split decision, maybe.

3 touchdowns in 3 drives would be pretty amazering... I can't see even the biggest cynic getting upset about that.

Most of us were pretty happy (understatement) when CJ got two TD's and a FG in 3 drives. If Rudock did it, it would mean he was playing awfully well, better than at any point this year for sure, so fans would be ecstatic.

KF is being KF. Not shocked at all about the decision, actually I expected it. We'll see what happens, but seems to me he is putting both QB in a no win situation, depending on who doesn't do well. Seems like the fans want to see CJ start and get the snaps, but KF is not going to let that happen. I like Jake, but what's I've seen out of CJ for a game and a half he gives us the best chance to win. We'll see, I expect it to get ugly in Kinnick for the Indiana game, and I'm talking ugly as boos coming from the crowd. When is the last time a 2 QB system worked?

marcmorehouse ‏@marcmorehouse 25m25 minutes ago

Ferentz on Sirius XM: Rudock is the starter . . . - TheGazette http://po.st/ubNEW8 -- . . . but, yes, confirms that it’s QB by feel

I still find this hard to fathom when there are two weeks of practice upcoming.

What if CJ just grades out totally better than JR in practice.

Is KF going to change his mind, I hope so or other players are going to wonder what the hell.

Not surprised either. I think when KF analyzed it, this was the best option for him. He starts JR, and if JR excels, cool. CJ stays put. If JR struggles, he brings in CJ. JR is the steady guy who can guide the team and stay out of trouble, early. CJ is the spark off the bench rally guy, who can shred prevent defense that plays soft, protecting a lead.

I think this is the rotating QB system.....JR starts and plays until we are in trouble, then go to CJ to save the day.

KF is being KF. Not shocked at all about the decision, actually I expected it. We'll see what happens, but seems to me he is putting both QB in a no win situation, depending on who doesn't do well. Seems like the fans want to see CJ start and get the snaps, but KF is not going to let that happen. I like Jake, but what's I've seen out of CJ for a game and a half he gives us the best chance to win. We'll see, I expect it to get ugly in Kinnick for the Indiana game, and I'm talking ugly as boos coming from the crowd. When is the last time a 2 QB system worked?

It worked fine in '81. This year were 2-0 playing two QBs and 2-1 playing one QB. Last year we lost to Wiscy and LSU playing two QBs (probably losses either way) but beat Nebraska.

Rudock is a far superior QB than JC was. So this is actually a horrible comparison.

McCain/Banks is a closer comparison, but CJ is no Brad.

the only area he is superior is experience wise. He earned the job last year when he was the best option at QB. Not this year. Our O has been anemic at best with him in Mr Rudock. CJ has surpassed him and JR has hit his ceiling.

I know JR wants to start, who wouldnt, but we all also know that unless JR is holding back on zipping his passes he doesnt have the arm for the next level. JR throws a nice ball with touch on passes up the sideline against cover two and such.

But he couldnt throw a fast enough long out pattern against top flight nfl dbacks.

My point is that JR cant be upset that if he gets benched he is losing his shot at the NFL. Not unless he thinks his arm strength will improve in the next year and a half.

the only area he is superior is experience wise. He earned the job last year when he was the best option at QB. Not this year. Our O has been anemic at best with him in Mr Rudock. CJ has surpassed him and JR has hit his ceiling.

I never said Rudock was superior to Beathard.
I said that Rudock is superior to Christensen.

I know JR wants to start, who wouldnt, but we all also know that unless JR is holding back on zipping his passes he doesnt have the arm for the next level. JR throws a nice ball with touch on passes up the sideline against cover two and such.

But he couldnt throw a fast enough long out pattern against top flight nfl dbacks.

My point is that JR cant be upset that if he gets benched he is losing his shot at the NFL. Not unless he thinks his arm strength will improve in the next year and a half.

So if a kid in High school doesn't have a shot at playing in college then he shouldn't care if he is benched?

That just doesn't make sense.

It worked fine in '81. This year were 2-0 playing two QBs and 2-1 playing one QB. Last year we lost to Wiscy and LSU playing two QBs (probably losses either way) but beat Nebraska.

LOL, 1981... The 2-0 playing two QB's was not because of Jake's play, see Pitt game. I'm not putting this all on the QB's, the play calling has been terrible as well. My point is, playing 2 QB's rarely works.

KF is gonna let JR either take hold of the team and lead, or let him sputter out and hand it over to CJ. JR is a very smart guy, and from the sounds of it, a very competitive guy. No matter what people think, the coaches don't make these guys check down, they have progressions and route options on every play. Knowing how competitive and smart JR is, maybe he opens it up himself and starts making more plays. I personally would have gone with CJ, but I'm not gonna kill KF for sticking with JR. It isn't like JR is JC, and is an absolute disaster. I just hope whoever is in there plays well, and leads us to wins.

Latest posts