Kirk apparently confirms Jake is the starter

If Iowa loses to Indiana and offense looks putrid, Kirk is going to lose a lot of his credibility. I'm sure the first 3 and out with Jake will go over really well at Kinnick.

Kirk has already lost his credibility with many..(losing to ISU at Kinnick will have that effect)

Just for arguments sake, what happens if Rudock starts and leads the team to touchdowns in his first few drives and looks good doing it? Does he get cheered by the so called fans or do people just remain quiet while they figure out what to do now?

If CJ had played the 2nd half against ISU, Iowa is 5-0 now. J.R. had the entire game against ISU and was horrible. ISU has the worst defense Iowa will see all year.

Ferentz is not infallible. He is not God. He has been horribly wrong on his quarterback choices before and has endured numerous losses because of it.

I just think that going forward, CJ has a much bigger upside and higher ceiling than J.R.

IMO, J.R. has hit his ceiling. What we have seen so far with J.R. is what we will get in the future with him at QB.

#1 priority is to win. Whomever starts against Indiana, I hope is successful.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, what about what Jake did in the 4th quarters of the UNI and BSU?

If we lost to Ball State, to this date, it still would be the worst loss in college football by a Power 5 conference member.
Jake is part of the blame for being in that situation.

marcmorehouse ‏@marcmorehouse 25m25 minutes ago

Ferentz on Sirius XM: Rudock is the starter . . . - TheGazette http://po.st/ubNEW8 -- . . . but, yes, confirms that it’s QB by feel

If Ruduck starts, hope that he plays well and can ignte ths offense. Perhaps he'll start throwng down field more. My biggest fear is if CJ s left on the bench for most of the season,he'll transfer and we'll miss out on his play.

If we lost to Ball State, to this date, it still would be the worst loss in college football by a Power 5 conference member.
Jake is part of the blame for being in that situation.

I disagree. ISUck will have more punishing defeats this year than a hypothetical loss to Ball St for Iowa. And placing blame for a hypothetical isn't exactly fair either.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, what about what Jake did in the 4th quarters of the UNI and BSU?

To throw the ball back in your court.....why was Iowa in the position where Jake had to have a big 4th quarter? Where was he in quarters 1-3? Where was he the entire Iowa State game?

Just for arguments sake, what happens if Rudock starts and leads the team to touchdowns in his first few drives and looks good doing it? Does he get cheered by the so called fans or do people just remain quiet while they figure out what to do now?
Unfortunately, most fans it seems are blind, and won't know the difference. So not only will they scream and holler, but they will hale kirk even more so.

Playing well against Indiana < Developing a QB who has a higher upside. Though I doubt Rudock would play significantly better than Beathard, even at this point...the coaches have conceded that by stating that Beathard deserves to play.

In my perfect world, I'd give CJ the reigns, get him broken in this season (I think he already gives us a better chance to win each week by stretching the field), and set yourself up for a bigger and better run in 2015.

The worst scenario is all this talk of playing both QBs and then if JR gets all the snaps against indiana. Even if the hawks win but the offense is lacking and JR is just avg I for one will not be happy. I have been paying good money for almost 40 years to buy season tickets.

I will feel that the coaches lead me on and are clueless.

KF already indicated they , the coaches, were stupid for not rotating defensive linemen against ISU and for playing a contain pass rush, and for not stretching the field.

I feel like I am watching an inferior product and wasting my money and it is looking like a better option to watch on TV.

I wonder if these "fans" we're also booing when the offense had EIGHT 3 and outs vs Purdue.

THIS!!! And sacks, and a pick six, and bad pocket presence, and open receivers, and an under thrown deep ball, and plenty of check downs, etc. I am fine with jake getting the start.

"It’s the first time I’ve really been involved in a situation like this where we’ve got two guys who we think are really good players. They both deserve to play. We’ll just have to figure that out as we go along.”

A very nice way of saying, I've done a good job of managing to stay away from this situation. I'm willing to bet KF has lost sleep over this situation.

Personally, I'd start CJ. But I'm not as livid as some fans about Kirk's decision. He's thinking of the team more broadly, and standing on the principle that you don't lose your job because of injury.

As for JR being "terrible" against Iowa State, that may be: he was 16/24, 6.1 YPA, 54.9 rating. But CJB against Purdue was 17/37, 6.6 YPA for a 39.6 rating. Less drops would help, but that's true for JR also.

Again, I think starting CJ is the right call. Just disagree that it's a "no brainer" for the head coach, all things considered. What would make me mad is if JR starts, AND struggles (failure to target open downfield receivers needs to count as 'struggling'), AND isn't replaced.

Personally, I'd start CJ. But I'm not as livid as some fans about Kirk's decision. He's thinking of the team more broadly, and standing on the principle that you don't lose your job because of injury.

As for JR being "terrible" against Iowa State, that may be: he was 16/24, 6.1 YPA, 54.9 rating. But CJB against Purdue was 17/37, 6.6 YPA for a 39.6 rating. Less drops would help, but that's true for JR also.

Again, I think starting CJ is the right call. Just disagree that it's a "no brainer" for the head coach, all things considered. What would make me mad is if JR starts, AND struggles (failure to target open downfield receivers needs to count as 'struggling'), AND isn't replaced.

This is the dilemma for KF and it really is a no-win..

Latest posts