Jurors hear starkly different portrayals in opening statements of Jane Meyer's case against Iowa

Why is it always the same people who bang this drum? If Griesbaum was hired and the AD knew that at the time she was Meyer's partner, that would be the equivalent to hiring KF son and son in law.

Those two starting a relationship and not disclosing it to anyone is completely and totally different. It isn't like we found out that Brian is Kirk's son just now, even though he had been working with him for 5 years.

giphy.gif

The HR VP knowing about the relationship between Meyer and Griesbaum seems important to me as she says she told Meyer there was no conflict. Seems like Meyer must have sought an opinion from her. Testimony of Lisa Bluder seems totally irrelevant. Her assistant coach's marriage is immaterial unless they are trying to say that they weren't mean to all lesbians in social settings. This was/is a very long relationship between Meyer and Griesbaum and little attention seems to be paid to it til Griesbaum was fired and Meyer got upset.

At the IClub banquet last night an assistant AD said there were over 600 scholarship student athletes at U of I. Apparently there were 27 that responded they were verbally abused by a coach. Not sure how an anonymous survey is valuable if there are specific issues in a program.

The HR VP knowing about the relationship between Meyer and Griesbaum seems important to me as she says she told Meyer there was no conflict. Seems like Meyer must have sought an opinion from her. Testimony of Lisa Bluder seems totally irrelevant. Her assistant coach's marriage is immaterial unless they are trying to say that they weren't mean to all lesbians in social settings. This was/is a very long relationship between Meyer and Griesbaum and little attention seems to be paid to it til Griesbaum was fired and Meyer got upset.

At the IClub banquet last night an assistant AD said there were over 600 scholarship student athletes at U of I. Apparently there were 27 that responded they were verbally abused by a coach. Not sure how an anonymous survey is valuable if there are specific issues in a program.
I'd like to know if they did anything at all in response to the survey, or just dropped it. I'd think Barta would have at least sent a memo to coaches telling them to make sure they're following policy/not abusing players etc.

The more I hear from the trial tweets, the more I think Meyer turned into an asshole after Griesbaum was fired and Barta didn't know how to handle it and/or could have handled it better to at least not look as incompetent. Maybe I'll change my mind as more info comes out, but that's kind of where I am as of now.

I'd like to know if they did anything at all in response to the survey, or just dropped it. I'd think Barta would have at least sent a memo to coaches telling them to make sure they're following policy/not abusing players etc.

The more I hear from the trial tweets, the more I think Meyer turned into an asshole after Griesbaum was fired and Barta didn't know how to handle it and/or could have handled it better to at least not look as incompetent. Maybe I'll change my mind as more info comes out, but that's kind of where I am as of now.

The fact that Meyer turned into an asshole in response to the firing demonstrates that she had a conflict of interest to me regardless of what HR told her. It would have helped both parties for her to disclose the relationship to her boss Barta in the first place and she might have even survived in her position working things out. The University may well win this suit but Barta could have handled things better and I think has become wiser from the experience. Very good move to put the woman he has worked with since his stint at Wyoming in the deputy position.

The coward hack deleted my third link.
well to be fair, The third link had no new tantalizing information than the first two. Not that I saw anyway.

(The rest isn't directed at you -- just posting my two cents)

The chronology is this: guy dating Ferentz's daughter gets hired -- after a couple of years in other entry level positions -- to be a temporary (1 yr) computer geek/recruiting social media spy.

Dating daughter = nepotism? I don't think so.

Six months into his temporary gig he gets engaged to Ferentz's daughter.

This meets the definition and Ferentz should have told Barta for the necessary oversight changes.

Small potatoes compared to an ADA hitching up with a coach, not revealing the relationship where she had direct supervision, revealing private information that athletes gave her about the coach to the coach, and then becoming unbearable to work with after her lover-coach abused the athletes was fired for doing so.

People can get good job reviews for years and then take a turn for the worse with a personal problem -- especially when your lover got fired because he didn't do your job of protecting athletes -- you decided to protect your lover.

By the way, why is this in the football forum?

Shouldn't this be like in the rivalry forum?

27 athletes said they were verbally abused, all anonymous. Well, being "verbally abused" is subjective isn't it? It could mean a coach insulted and berated an athlete beyond the pale or it could mean a coach raised his/her voice and told the athlete something he/she didn't want to hear about their lack or performance or effort in practice or games. In this day and age of over-sensitivity, I'd wager a large chunk of the 27 fall in the latter category.

In this day and age of over-sensitivity, I'd wager a large chunk of the 27 fall in the latter category.

I agree. That said, there are examples of legitimate, damaging abusive behavior. Barta should have at least had an idea of which sports the feedback pertained to so he could follow up (bad miss on his part).

I do think the best, most competitive kids want to get coached hard. They have little time for the complainers who have their feelings hurt by the coaches for basic critical feedback, often delivered with high intensity and energy due to the nature of sport. To the Griesbaum issue, this is the sense I got from some of the good Field Hockey players I have known. They loved their coach and the way she coached them. Some of the more sensitive players had their feelings hurt. I don't think the way Griesbaum coached got her fired; if anything, I think the way she responded when she learned of the complaints got her fired. However, I am just basing this on hearsay, so who knows.

Latest posts