Jurors hear starkly different portrayals in opening statements of Jane Meyer's case against Iowa

27 athletes said they were verbally abused, all anonymous. Well, being "verbally abused" is subjective isn't it? It could mean a coach insulted and berated an athlete beyond the pale or it could mean a coach raised his/her voice and told the athlete something he/she didn't want to hear about their lack or performance or effort in practice or games. In this day and age of over-sensitivity, I'd wager a large chunk of the 27 fall in the latter category.

I wonder if these people would survive in the military?

I wonder if these people would survive in the military?

Those who have served know like I do that people in the military bluntly tell you how it is without worrying about offending you and today women do it just like the guys back in my day did. I work and live in a military area and these military girls swear every bit as much as we did and seem to have embraced the culture. I feel like the structure and discipline of military life has served me well over the years and have no doubt that competitive athletics achieve the same thing. You either embrace the experience and grow and get stronger or you go through life feeling like a victim which we have too much of in society today.

Well, Ferentz is involved in a way, plus this forum is the most popular and this is a pretty big deal story wise.
Yeah. It was a joke = "rivalry forum"

Ferentz is barely involved.

But yeah, it's a fairly big news story.

I'm enjoying the entertainment of a PC school getting PC'd by one of their own -- it's Like an upscale version of an afternoon reality entertainment Maury Povichesque show.

27 athletes said they were verbally abused, all anonymous. Well, being "verbally abused" is subjective isn't it
Yes. It is subjective. Verbal abuse or harassment in the workplace is subjective, too.

The difference between workplace and sports is the moment some one says harassment then you have to stop. Period. Zero tolerance. You may not be disciplined the first time, but you will be told to stop. Sports, not so much.

All of it is subjective.

You have to have everybody rowing in the same direction which clearly we didn't have with this field hockey mess. Meyer abused her position IMO feeding information to Griesbaum which she clearly had no business doing and then it appears that Griesbaum may have retaliated against some of the players and things just snowballed from there. Barta no doubt saw a lawsuit coming which I think influenced his actions but no doubt wanted unity in the athletic department which should come once these suits blow over. Something tells me they may have tougher sledding ahead in the Griesbaum trial but we'll just have to see as events unfold.

You have to have everybody rowing in the same direction which clearly we didn't have with this field hockey mess. Meyer abused her position IMO feeding information to Griesbaum which she clearly had no business doing and then it appears that Griesbaum may have retaliated against some of the players and things just snowballed from there. Barta no doubt saw a lawsuit coming which I think influenced his actions but no doubt wanted unity in the athletic department which should come once these suits blow over. Something tells me they may have tougher sledding ahead in the Griesbaum trial but we'll just have to see as events unfold.
If Greasebomb went nuclear on students because they complained up the chain like they were supposed to, then it would appear to me it would be a fairly easy win.

Maybe she was abusive, but if she double-downed on the same students because of privileged information from her lover, yeah, firing is deserved. And Meyer could probably have been, too. But then it would look like a witch hunt so she got a pass until she became insubordinate and unbearable to work with.

If Greasebomb went nuclear on students because they complained up the chain like they were supposed to, then it would appear to me it would be a fairly easy win.

Maybe she was abusive, but if she double-downed on the same students because of privileged information from her lover, yeah, firing is deserved. And Meyer could probably have been, too. But then it would look like a witch hunt so she got a pass until she became insubordinate and unbearable to work with.
And then the University gave her a cush job in another department at the same salary. She was treated so horribly I just can't imagine what it must have been like. Please...I'm sure there are some nuances to this that have gray area, but everything I read appears to point to the fact that the University tried to do do the right thing with Meyer based on the situation. I hope it did anyway because then she loses this suit.

I hope he doesn't try to take a knee early so he can get to the break and regroup. That may make it look like he has something to hide...like a crappy offense.

Latest posts