Jurors hear starkly different portrayals in opening statements of Jane Meyer's case against Iowa

All I know is that I want KF on a football field or watching film, not wasting time on this jilted couple's whiny legal matters.

I feel like the University has a pretty solid case if they even let this go to trial. Sounds like Meyer's lawyer was pushing for a settlement and they turned them down.

I really hope this gets resolved quickly and quietly, but from what I hear about Meyer, I doubt it will.

A guy I know has a relative that works in the athletic dept. He said he has heard horror stories from the relative in regards to Meyers and how verbally abusive she was to just about everyone she encountered. One person in the dept told Meyer she liked her outfit that she was wearing and asked where Meyer bought it. Meyer's response was something like...."don't worry about where I got it, you could never afford it."

I can't wait for Kirk Ferentz to take the stand.

Meyer Attorney: "Did it bother you that Ms Meyer was a lesbian?"
Kirk Ferentz: "What's a lesbian?"
Meyer Attorney: "It's when two women become partners and share the same goals?"
Kirk Ferentz: "Like a coaching staff?"
Meyer Attorney: "No, it's more than that, the two women enjoy a sexual relationship and marriage".
Kirk Ferentz: "That happens in Iowa...really? Do they like football?"
Meyer Attorney: "Usually one of them does."

Last edited:
Anyone know when Kirk Ferentz takes the stand? I can't wait to hear that testimony. I'm thinking he may be a little biased in his testimony in favor of Barta. After all, anyone who gives you a $20 Million dollar contract with a ridiculous buy out has to be ok in your book, right? I'm thinking he throws Meyer under the bus...and maybe backs over her a few times.

Really disappointed that the judge will not allow the courtroom gallery to live tweet, video stream, facebook live, snapchat, or pokemon go from the courtroom. Someone needs to remind the judge that this is the 21st century.

Anyone know when Kirk Ferentz takes the stand? I can't wait to hear that testimony. I'm thinking he may be a little biased in his testimony in favor of Barta. After all, anyone who gives you a $20 Million dollar contract with a ridiculous buy out has to be ok in your book, right? I'm thinking he throws Meyer under the bus...and maybe backs over her a few times.
Yeah, zero chance that Ferentz or Brands says anything remotely damaging to the U. They've been coached to the hilt on exactly how they're going to answer.

I wonder if Meyer's defense will bring that bias info up in the trial. Would it even be allowed?

After KF picks her up, twirls her around, and slams her down a few times...Meyer's attorney's will absolutely discredit him with his contract and relationship with Barta. It's all admissible and actually pertinent. The reality is that if they stick to the facts and specific issues with Meyer...the cohesion of the stories is going to be pretty compelling. Think about it, when Greisbaum got fired, Meyer flew off the ax handle and berated Barta in front of the whole department. There's your precedent for her behavior. Anything anyone else says along the same vein becomes believable and that's all she wrote.

Sounds to me like she uses discrimination against gays as an excuse for her insubordination. In my opinion everybody gay straight or no matter what race should be treated the same but people like her and Rosie O'Donnell don't want to be treated the same they want to be special. She seems the type that would do or say what she wants and if you don't like it or disagree with her she can always pull the gay card.

The radio host on KGYM Radio the past few days has been talking about Meyer and this case. He said on the radio that just about everyone in the athletic dept. and the media did not like Meyer. He said that after she was gone a large number of athletic employees went out one night to celebrate her departure. He also said that she looked down on members of the media, she was really rude to them. This radio host said that when the new press box was being built, Meyer said publicly that she was going to make the media sit at the very top of the press box because they weren't worthy enough to have good seating and that they aren't 'Big Donors" who make money for the athletic dept.

So far it has not been good for the athletic department.. but it was only her lawyers yesterday.

I'm suprised how short this thread is... this is pretty fascinating.

You guys realize Kirk is going to have to get up there to testify against her? There are so many massively dramatic and entertaining parts of this...

She told the jury that the guy hired to be above her "just watched ESPN,"

This is going to be so good... or bad.... depending on how you look at it.

The radio host on KGYM Radio the past few days has been talking about Meyer and this case. He said on the radio that just about everyone in the athletic dept. and the media did not like Meyer. He said that after she was gone a large number of athletic employees went out one night to celebrate her departure. He also said that she looked down on members of the media, she was really rude to them. This radio host said that when the new press box was being built, Meyer said publicly that she was going to make the media sit at the very top of the press box because they weren't worthy enough to have good seating and that they aren't 'Big Donors" who make money for the athletic dept.

I heard the same on KGYM. Weird how she was given good job reviews in the past. That part could haunt the university. A person usually doesn't start to do a shitty job after being there for years. Usually a person exhibits that shortly after hire if that is really how they are. I see she commented on the firings at the U. Wonder if she was including Lickliter in there?? I mean that was clearly bias right. The guy was losing and crowds sparse. Certainly didn't deserve to be fired. I wonder how much of the Griesbaum case gets pulled into this. She was fired because of player treatment and it seems there were enough that came forward that got her fired. And in this world, Meyer believes that if a woman holds a job and gets let go that same position must then be filled by a female or there is bias? Needless to say Barta's testimony will be very interesting.

Latest posts