Jurors hear starkly different portrayals in opening statements of Jane Meyer's case against Iowa

Greisbaum likely reported directly to Barta just like the other coaches. Having a military background and finishing my career as a military civilian I see Meyer as a key player in Management as senior to Greisbaum. In the military their relationship would get them in hot water where these days nobody cares about your gender nor your sexual orientation just like the rest of society.

I don't see any way around the fact that Meyer had a conflict of interest especially after the Greisbaum investigation started and it affected her job performance. I would cite Exhibit A her crying on the stand about the firing as evidence of that. That undermines her claims of discrimination which seem ridiculous on their face in the PC world of today's college universities. Gays and lesbians have become part of the mainstream Jane and don't need protected.
ferentz.jpeg

I don't really see the parallel here to the Meyer/Griesbaum situation whether you like the ascension of Brian on the football staff or not. Not a senior/subordinate situation like you have in the military or organizational setting. Military spouses go through hell often not even serving in the same geographic location and I've talked to officers who go out of their way to avoid settings where they might mix with enlisted people. Apples and oranges in my book.

I don't really see the parallel here to the Meyer/Griesbaum situation whether you like the ascension of Brian on the football staff or not. Not a senior/subordinate situation like you have in the military or organizational setting. Military spouses go through hell often not even serving in the same geographic location and I've talked to officers who go out of their way to avoid settings where they might mix with enlisted people. Apples and oranges in my book.
You said "I see Meyer as a key player in Management as senior to Greisbaum. In the military their relationship would get them in hot water"

But... somehow you don't see any parallel or see Kirk Ferentz "as a key player in Management as senior to" Brian Ferentz?

That Does Not Make Sense.

Is This The Twilight Zone?

You said "I see Meyer as a key player in Management as senior to Greisbaum. In the military their relationship would get them in hot water"

But... somehow you don't see any parallel or see Kirk Ferentz "as a key player in Management as senior to" Brian Ferentz?

That Does Not Make Sense.

Is This The Twilight Zone?

Kirk serves as a staffer albeit an extremely highly paid one just like Brian does. Kirk doesn't serve in Management of the Athletic Department. Maybe we just look at it differently but I see it as two different levels. I would agree with others that you may question it in terms of appearance but I don't see it as a problem as long as they keep things professional. I probably wouldn't bring my son on my staff but that doesn't matter to the discussion.

Kirk serves as a staffer albeit an extremely highly paid one just like Brian does. Kirk doesn't serve in Management of the Athletic Department. Maybe we just look at it differently but I see it as two different levels. I would agree with others that you may question it in terms of appearance but I don't see it as a problem as long as they keep things professional. I probably wouldn't bring my son on my staff but that doesn't matter to the discussion.
Griesbaum didn't "officially" report to Meyer.
Brian doesn't "officially" report to Kirk.

Griesbaum "didn't work" with Meyer on a daily basis.
Brian "does work" with Kirk on a daily basis.

If you think there is a conflict of interest with the working relationship between Griesbaum & Meyer, but don't see a conflict of interest with the working relationship between Brian & Kirk, you are not being logically consistent.

Meyer told Griesbaum which players were complaining and what they were complaining about. It was not her place to do that. It led to players suffering retribution from Griesbaum. Meyer caused all kinds of problems when she got passed over for the promotion. FYI Meyer spent a huge amount of money on Field Hockey without Barta being aware she had a relationship with the coach. Meyer's failing came to light when she was given projects to oversee. She consistently failed in her job duties and made decisions without showing coaches what she was doing.

on a shallow side note...as I read these reports I can't help but pronounce Greisbaum ... Grease bomb.

Am I wrong?
Actually Greisbaum translates to gray tree. The ei sound would be the long i sound, like the i in the word fight. Pronounce it like GriisBaum.

Actually Greisbaum translates to gray tree. The ei sound would be the long i sound, like the i in the word fight. Pronounce it like GriisBaum.
Is her name spelled ie or ei? Everything else I've seen shows it as Griesbaum.

Meyer told Griesbaum which players were complaining and what they were complaining about. It was not her place to do that. It led to players suffering retribution from Griesbaum. Meyer caused all kinds of problems when she got passed over for the promotion. FYI Meyer spent a huge amount of money on Field Hockey without Barta being aware she had a relationship with the coach. Meyer's failing came to light when she was given projects to oversee. She consistently failed in her job duties and made decisions without showing coaches what she was doing.
Are these facts in evidence in the trial? Just asking because job evaluations were good until Griesbaum was fired and Meyer is accusing Barta of altering her next performance review.

This isn't going to end well for Barta and the U of I, I predict, no matter the evidence or lack thereof. Not in this day and age of a victimhood culture. There's likely already a bias among the jurors against Barta, if they pay any attention at all to how the grievance industry crafts public opinion. Just an opinion of course.

Griesbaum didn't "officially" report to Meyer.
Brian doesn't "officially" report to Kirk.

Griesbaum "didn't work" with Meyer on a daily basis.
Brian "does work" with Kirk on a daily basis.

If you think there is a conflict of interest with the working relationship between Griesbaum & Meyer, but don't see a conflict of interest with the working relationship between Brian & Kirk, you are not being logically consistent.

The main issue is it was not disclosed. Do you for one second think the Ferentz or Brands deal was not known to everyone??? That's the issue and Meyer was allocating funds to the field hockey facilities. No idea if what she did would have been any different. And come on with the didn't want to say anything as same sex partners or marriages are no a huge deal any more and would not have been in 2010 or 2011. If the department had an issue with it had she just disclosed it then yeah, I would say she would have had a case. Listening to sports radio, this lady was the ice queen and treated almost everyone poorly, including the press. None that I have heard were sorry to see her go. Looks like the coaches felt the same. Barta's issue is he should have had hard documentation of all of this rather than just all verbal feedback. With the Griesbaum firing, that is just a mess and is hard to tell what happened without Barta disclosing who was saying what about her. She did get her contract paid out, and isn't within an employer's right not to renew? I don't think it was a lifetime contract. Unless he just flat out openly discriminated I don't see an issue since they paid out her full contract. Wish I could get a multi-year employment contract.

Those who are trying to draw a parallel between Meyer/Griesbaum and Ferentz/Ferentz or Brands/Brands are completely missing the point. If Meyer had been open with Barta about her relationship with Griesbaum, an agreement about how to handle this situation could have been developed. And, a lot of this business of bias due to sexual orientation is another "look over here" attempt that has become common place in today's society. The real issue is that Meyer, at least in the view of her supervisor, was a disaster when it came to the "soft skills" that are so highly valued in our world...and rightfully so. And, the allegation that she was insubordinate, if true, would close the book.

Those who are trying to draw a parallel between Meyer/Griesbaum and Ferentz/Ferentz or Brands/Brands are completely missing the point. If Meyer had been open with Barta about her relationship with Griesbaum, an agreement about how to handle this situation could have been developed. And, a lot of this business of bias due to sexual orientation is another "look over here" attempt that has become common place in today's society. The real issue is that Meyer, at least in the view of her supervisor, was a disaster when it came to the "soft skills" that are so highly valued in our world...and rightfully so. And, the allegation that she was insubordinate, if true, would close the book.

But but but Ferentz is bad! Amiright tk?

The main issue is it was not disclosed. Do you for one second think the Ferentz or Brands deal was not known to everyone??? That's the issue and Meyer was allocating funds to the field hockey facilities. No idea if what she did would have been any different. And come on with the didn't want to say anything as same sex partners or marriages are no a huge deal any more and would not have been in 2010 or 2011. If the department had an issue with it had she just disclosed it then yeah, I would say she would have had a case. Listening to sports radio, this lady was the ice queen and treated almost everyone poorly, including the press. None that I have heard were sorry to see her go. Looks like the coaches felt the same. Barta's issue is he should have had hard documentation of all of this rather than just all verbal feedback. With the Griesbaum firing, that is just a mess and is hard to tell what happened without Barta disclosing who was saying what about her. She did get her contract paid out, and isn't within an employer's right not to renew? I don't think it was a lifetime contract. Unless he just flat out openly discriminated I don't see an issue since they paid out her full contract. Wish I could get a multi-year employment contract.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...e-son-in-law-on-football-administrative-staff

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-son-in-law-nepotism-joanne-ferentz/89020628/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1559349-iowa-coach-kirk-ferentz-needs-to-stop-hiring-family

Last edited:

Latest posts