Jon's comment this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumor - Media Bomb?

Im going to assume there is no possible way this can happen. If i think any other way my head would possibly explode

An odd thread, which started off bad, got worse, has now driven off the cliff like Toonces was driving it.

The meltdown has gone from a mere Three Mile Island, to a full blown Chernobyl.

I regret making that comment, it was a mistake, and that is all I am going to say about it.

Ok, one more thing about it, I got ahead of myself and made statements too hurriedly, and I regret it. I am now done talking about it.

We are all human and we make mistakes. I rushed to judgement too quickly and I have apologized and am dealing with it. That is the last comment I will make about this.

I am one of the few that still think it is possible for lick to get it done... but if an extension is offered at THIS POINT... than I think we need one heck of an explanation from Mr. Barta.

Not like an extension is going to help with recruiting. Prospects can read the forums and message boards as well as the rest of us.

The kids we're getting, anyway, are just happy to have interest from a D1 school. Lack of extension doesn't change that one bit.

Just out of curiosity what happens to the contract if Lick takes a medical release? Wouldn't it be better for him to get fired and be bought out?

From a financial standpoint if he gets fired, then he will get a lot more $$ and what not. If he resigns, he still keeps his good name, and will have the excuse why i left was due to health, not poor coaching and bad results. I personally think he would much rather resign due to health reasons and possibly look to go be an assistant somewhere. If you get FIRED, then other schools look at you like you couldn't hack it there, what makes you think you can coach at this level. That sort of thing.

Like i said earlier, it is a rumor that I have heard several times repeated. I don't know, I just hope something happens this year, because I can't stand to sit around and watch another year of medicore basketball.

People wishing for the bad health of a Hawkeye Coach is beyond disgusting.

I don't think anybody's wishing for anybody's bad health (other than I wish Osama Bin Laden would die, if he hasn't already). Health might be the vehicle to negotiate an acceptable package for Lickliter to depart and for the university to move on, and I think that's what the poster is hoping for.

Okay...so Jon's media bomb comment got me thinking. I have an acquaintance who supposedly has ties to the program and told me last week to not be surprised if Lick gets an extension after this season. I blew it off as nothing...since I really think the guy knows nothing. But Jon's comments got me wondering. I did some research and if you look at his contract...it stipulates that after this season Barta and Lick will sit down and discuss an extension.....

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/ToddLickliter_contract.pdf

Now that is funny an extension, lol.. that would not be a bomb so much as Armeggedon...

I don't think anybody's wishing for anybody's bad health (other than I wish Osama Bin Laden would die, if he hasn't already). Health might be the vehicle to negotiate an acceptable package for Lickliter to depart and for the university to move on, and I think that's what the poster is hoping for.

Well said, and I too wish harm to OBL!!!

An odd thread, which started off bad, got worse, has now driven off the cliff like Toonces was driving it.

The meltdown has gone from a mere Three Mile Island, to a full blown Chernobyl.

I regret making that comment, it was a mistake, and that is all I am going to say about it.

Ok, one more thing about it, I got ahead of myself and made statements too hurriedly, and I regret it. I am now done talking about it.

We are all human and we make mistakes. I rushed to judgement too quickly and I have apologized and am dealing with it. That is the last comment I will make about this.

For Jon to throw out a tantalizing comment on air in this highly-charged environment about the state of Iowa basketball and then not follow up with what he is aware of is irresponsible and cowardly, IMHO.

He acknowledged he made an error and regrets doing it. Been there, done that.

At some point we move on.

I have not read the other media bomb thread so I may be off base with this, but I thought Jon was alluding to promient boosters/alumni getting in Barta's ear about needing to make a change.

For those of us living in central Iowa it would be comparable to Gary Thompson pulling Jaime Pollard aside making not so subtle hints that the Wayne Morgan tenure might not work out.

For Jon to throw out a tantalizing comment on air in this highly-charged environment about the state of Iowa basketball and then not follow up with what he is aware of is irresponsible and cowardly, IMHO.

He acknowledged he made an error and regrets doing it. Been there, done that.

At some point we move on.

And we should move on without throwing out terms like "cowardly" when by the nature of the situation we don't know what we're talking about.

I have not read the other media bomb thread so I may be off base with this, but I thought Jon was alluding to promient boosters/alumni getting in Barta's ear about needing to make a change.

For those of us living in central Iowa it would be comparable to Gary Thompson pulling Jaime Pollard aside making not so subtle hints that the Wayne Morgan tenure might not work out.

Yes, this was my take on Jon's bomb, too.

But wow, wouldn't a contract extension be so much fun?! If we're in a nuclear winter, what would a contract extension be? Thermonuclear bomb? Neutron bomb? Extinction event? Holy cow--I almost can't wait for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts