Jon's comment this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That kind of talk show host usually takes phone calls. And it generates phone calls. You usually don't take calls on your show. Not complaining, just being Capt. Obvious. Different strokes-different folks thing. I guess that's why God created Baskin-Robbins.

Me? I don't like that the facade talk show host; I flip the channel. And if Deace keeps talking about your guys' bromance . . .

Sounds like SOMEONE is jealous...:p

Did anyone at Iowa call you and tell you to shut it? Do they ever do that? Just wondering.

Nope. Not on this. I hadn't even thought about that comment until I read this post.

There have been calls in the past, namely my saying back in the spring of 2006 that I no longer believed a word that Alford said after he denied interest in the Mizzou job when I knew otherwise. But there have not been many, since I believe I have been pretty fair in my time doing this.

That kind of talk show host usually takes phone calls. And it generates phone calls. You usually don't take calls on your show. Not complaining, just being Capt. Obvious. Different strokes-different folks thing. I guess that's why God created Baskin-Robbins.

A morning show is a different animal than any other daypart. I am sure we could take calls every day, because any time we open up the show for calls, the lines are jammed, unless the topic is real heavy then its moderate calls.

With just two hours, regular caller segments don't seem to fit for what we do...ours is the most opinion heavy show in the city outside of Deace's Afternoon Show and Jan's show. Sometimes it takes us two hours to say all that we want :) Sometimes its good, sometimes its just OK, sometimes its probably not great. 'Tis radio.

I probably chose my words poorly. Should not have said media bomb, and should not have said anything. I am not going to mention anything related to it again, nor am I going to talk about it.

LOL...Thanks Rich Rod.... Is there anymore information we cant get on this site :)

perhaps we should be thankful to simply have a free place to gather and chat about Hawkeye sports in the same way we should be grateful to several young men and women at the University who are willing to put in the time, sweat, and often times withstand injuries for the pride of black and gold.

Some do, there is no question about it. I don't. Our morning show is very unstructured. I write down five or six topics each day to talk about. Today's list looked exactly like this:

IA BB; Orange Krush
ISU BB; Lose by 21, dominated inside
UNI; three game lead
NFL Hall of fame class; Rice, Smith then who are the other three?
EJ at 7:30, Rhoads at 7:45

And that's it. We flip on the microphones and start talking, and don't really know where things lead, which is the fun of it for me. There are times when in the heat of emotion, things are said that are fun, good, regrettable, full of hyperbole...all in the same segment sometimes. But that is radio without a net.

There are some talk show hosts that I can predict nearly each day which side of a topic they will take, because that will generate the most interest, as opposed to expressing a true opinion on a topic, because they don't think like a fan because they have no vested interest in the teams. There are people like that in every market.

I dont know if this is something you do already but it might be kinda cool if first thing in the morning you posted what you had planned on talking about that day...nothing to specific but just a list of things like in this qoute of yours...

perhaps we should be thankful to simply have a free place to gather and chat about Hawkeye sports in the same way we should be grateful to several young men and women at the University who are willing to put in the time, sweat, and often times withstand injuries for the pride of black and gold.

???

Not sure what this post means, only because I've gather and chatted at both the Rivals and Scout sites without paying a dime...

I'm sure to maintain credibility and integrity he mouses past anything you or Deacer post on Hawkeyenation, too.

Just sayin'

Off and on this season I have heard folks complain about ticket prices vs "quality of product" as the reason they have not filled CHA so to those folks I was just trying to point out that without websites such as this and folks like John & Stormin...willing to setup live chats, etc. there were be at least a handful of games that one might not even be able to follow.

So I get some high profile boosters are fed up and will voice their opinion.... Kind of Gary Thompsonesque.....

Lickliter is a dead man walking in terms of Iowa basketball despite Gary Barta's vote of confidence today. The very fact that Barta is coming out to defend his coach really means that things are simmering and ready to boil over IMO.

You have never done anything you later wished you had not?

It's not like i am sweating over this; it's not any sort of scandal. I am just choosing to not talk about it, as its one of those things that I feel like would have been better just to see what shakes out. Like each of you, I bleed and breathe, so I say a few things I'd like to go back an alter, even slightly, which is the case here.

The podcast is at kxno.com if you wish to hear it, but that will be it from me.

Sure, Jon. We all have. The difference between you and everyone else here is that you have a public forum/s in which to voice your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts