Jon's comment this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some do, there is no question about it. I don't. Our morning show is very unstructured. I write down five or six topics each day to talk about. Today's list looked exactly like this:

IA BB; Orange Krush
ISU BB; Lose by 21, dominated inside
UNI; three game lead
NFL Hall of fame class; Rice, Smith then who are the other three?
EJ at 7:30, Rhoads at 7:45

And that's it. We flip on the microphones and start talking, and don't really know where things lead, which is the fun of it for me. There are times when in the heat of emotion, things are said that are fun, good, regrettable, full of hyperbole...all in the same segment sometimes. But that is radio without a net.

There are some talk show hosts that I can predict nearly each day which side of a topic they will take, because that will generate the most interest, as opposed to expressing a true opinion on a topic, because they don't think like a fan because they have no vested interest in the teams. There are people like that in every market.

There are two of them in this market. Matt Perrault and the guy who used to sit in that chair.

"Media bomb" rumor:

The Iowa coaching staff are on Flight 815 of LOST "LAX -- pt 3."

I have a feeling its going to be Bobby Hanson throwing TL under the bus and calling for a change.

I could feel it coming on the post game show WED

Sometimes I wonder if "media types" say things just to generate interest. There have been several "in the know" things this past year that have proven to be either pure hot air, or simply erroneous. The funny thing is that if just one of these seventy "in the know" things turns out to be true, we all find out within 24 hours anyway, given the media cycle and the internet.

I take nearly everything I read on the internet these days, including here (maybe especially here), with a huge grain of salt.

Racer....well said. As some of my business associates said in IC this morning, someone was starved for attendtion.

The other point that she made or raised the question....will Miller now accept a poster's, player's, coaches' answer when they say they just don't want to talk about it? Will the non-response be written about, siting how someone declined to anwser a question...probably.

How many times has the media said if an athlete, politician, clergy, et al, makes a mistake, they should tell the whole truth and appologize, resign, etc, but don't ignore it and don't hide behind the, "I'm human card." I guess the advice the media gives isn't applicable to them.

Racer....well said. As some of my business associates said in IC this morning, someone was starved for attendtion.

The other point that she made or raised the question....will Miller now accept a poster's, player's, coaches' answer when they say they just don't want to talk about it? Will the non-response be written about, siting how someone declined to anwser a question...probably.

How many times has the media said if an athlete, politician, clergy, et al, makes a mistake, they should tell the whole truth and appologize, resign, etc, but don't ignore it and don't hide behind the, "I'm human card." I guess the advice the media gives isn't applicable to them.

some fair thoughts to consider. But I knew when I posted in this tread that I did not want to elaborate and that I was not going to say anything more about it that that would come with a price. And several posts in this thread and elsewhere is proof of that. It's just a matter of being comfortable enough to live with the fallout. Which I am and which coaches and athletes are as well

The reason why I don't want to go further down this road is Because I am uncertain as to whether or not some strong opinions that have been shared were on the record or not on the record, which is why I would go back and not say anything at all and just find out together. That is all.

some fair thoughts to consider. But I knew when I posted in this tread that I did not want to elaborate and that I was not going to say anything more about it that that would come with a price. And several posts in this thread and elsewhere is proof of that. It's just a matter of being comfortable enough to live with the fallout. Which I am and which coaches and athletes are as well

Then why post it at all if you knew what was going to happen? If you were clairvoyant enough to see the future, wouldn't that give you pause before you hit the send button?

Rumors are floating around and I mean "Rumors" that TL is gonna get a medical release from coaching and therefore will not be fired from the university. He will resign due to health reasons and therefore everyone wins! Like I said I have heard it from several people that a deal is already in the makings supposedly. But its just hearsay, i am not claiming I have an inside source or anything. I have just heard this from several people. Maybe that is what jon is talking about.

Rumors are floating around and I mean "Rumors" that TL is gonna get a medical release from coaching and therefore will not be fired from the university. He will resign due to health reasons and therefore everyone wins! Like I said I have heard it from several people that a deal is already in the makings supposedly. But its just hearsay, i am not claiming I have an inside source or anything. I have just heard this from several people. Maybe that is what jon is talking about.

Don't tease us like that :)

Please please please be true.

Just out of curiosity what happens to the contract if Lick takes a medical release? Wouldn't it be better for him to get fired and be bought out?

No.

It's better if this just dies, there's nothing really to talk about.

What I was referring to wasn't the same as what Jon was talking about. I've already apologized for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong... different info - something off the record.

Last edited:
Rumor - Media Bomb?

Okay...so Jon's media bomb comment got me thinking. I have an acquaintance who supposedly has ties to the program and told me last week to not be surprised if Lick gets an extension after this season. I blew it off as nothing...since I really think the guy knows nothing. But Jon's comments got me wondering. I did some research and if you look at his contract...it stipulates that after this season Barta and Lick will sit down and discuss an extension.....

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/ToddLickliter_contract.pdf

Re: Rumor - Media Bomb?

It would be suicidal to extend this coaching staff after a possible 9-23 season. There's no justification for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts