Jon's comment this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmchawk

I'm really curious about the "media bomb" that is coming that Jon knows about. Who do you think these voices are that will be sounding off on the state of the Iowa BBall program?

Jon if you dont mind atleast saying when this might be coming out.

I should apologize. I didn't hear what Jon said on the radio, so we could be talking about two different things.

I probably chose my words poorly. Should not have said media bomb, and should not have said anything. I am not going to mention anything related to it again, nor am I going to talk about it.

Pretty cheesey to tease this on air and then in this forum and then say you can't say anything.

You have never done anything you later wished you had not?

It's not like i am sweating over this; it's not any sort of scandal. I am just choosing to not talk about it, as its one of those things that I feel like would have been better just to see what shakes out. Like each of you, I bleed and breathe, so I say a few things I'd like to go back an alter, even slightly, which is the case here.

The podcast is at kxno.com if you wish to hear it, but that will be it from me.

Sometimes I wonder if "media types" say things just to generate interest. There have been several "in the know" things this past year that have proven to be either pure hot air, or simply erroneous. The funny thing is that if just one of these seventy "in the know" things turns out to be true, we all find out within 24 hours anyway, given the media cycle and the internet.

I take nearly everything I read on the internet these days, including here (maybe especially here), with a huge grain of salt.

Sometimes I wonder if "media types" say things just to generate interest. .

Some do, there is no question about it. I don't. Our morning show is very unstructured. I write down five or six topics each day to talk about. Today's list looked exactly like this:

IA BB; Orange Krush
ISU BB; Lose by 21, dominated inside
UNI; three game lead
NFL Hall of fame class; Rice, Smith then who are the other three?
EJ at 7:30, Rhoads at 7:45

And that's it. We flip on the microphones and start talking, and don't really know where things lead, which is the fun of it for me. There are times when in the heat of emotion, things are said that are fun, good, regrettable, full of hyperbole...all in the same segment sometimes. But that is radio without a net.

There are some talk show hosts that I can predict nearly each day which side of a topic they will take, because that will generate the most interest, as opposed to expressing a true opinion on a topic, because they don't think like a fan because they have no vested interest in the teams. There are people like that in every market.

this has me kind of excited if spank says it is a good thing. i wonder if what it is? anyone who has an idea want to share

Sometimes I wonder if "media types" say things just to generate interest. There have been several "in the know" things this past year that have proven to be either pure hot air, or simply erroneous. The funny thing is that if just one of these seventy "in the know" things turns out to be true, we all find out within 24 hours anyway, given the media cycle and the internet.

I take nearly everything I read on the internet these days, including here (maybe especially here), with a huge grain of salt.

It's also true that programming -- news, commentary, music, etc. -- is just the filler between commercials. Not every piece of programming is going to win awards.

There are some talk show hosts that I can predict nearly each day which side of a topic they will take, because that will generate the most interest, as opposed to expressing a true opinion on a topic, because they don't think like a fan because they have no vested interest in the teams. There are people like that in every market.
That kind of talk show host usually takes phone calls. And it generates phone calls. You usually don't take calls on your show. Not complaining, just being Capt. Obvious. Different strokes-different folks thing. I guess that's why God created Baskin-Robbins.

Me? I don't like that the facade talk show host; I flip the channel. And if Deace keeps talking about your guys' bromance . . .

You have never done anything you later wished you had not?

It's not like i am sweating over this; it's not any sort of scandal. I am just choosing to not talk about it, as its one of those things that I feel like would have been better just to see what shakes out. Like each of you, I bleed and breathe, so I say a few things I'd like to go back an alter, even slightly, which is the case here.

The podcast is at kxno.com if you wish to hear it, but that will be it from me.

Did anyone at Iowa call you and tell you to shut it? Do they ever do that? Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts