Jarrod Uthoff

If you actually are an executive maybe you should use your power to help influence what kind of people your company is employing. If you're implying that your company is making a habit of hiring kids who still suck on their parents teets... here's an idea: step in and give them your two cents about their hiring strategy. Maybe HR isn't your realm of expertise, but I would think as an executive you'd be able to at least get your point across.

Then again, I've read most of your posts and your negative attitude makes it pretty hard for me to believe you're an executive. Which makes me think it's either a family company, you had connections, or something happened in your life that was traumatic and really made you the consistent sour-puss that you seem to be on this board. Usually people with a glass half empty approach don't make it very far up the corporate ladder unless they are exceptional at what they do. Which I admit could be your case, but its doubtful.

Or he's flat out lying on the internet :eek:

Bo is really screwing this up royally. Has he forgotten about the upcoming Big Ten/Pac Ten series? He has got to get all of those teams on the list pronto!

If you actually are an executive maybe you should use your power to help influence what kind of people your company is employing. If you're implying that your company is making a habit of hiring kids who still suck on their parents teets... here's an idea: step in and give them your two cents about their hiring strategy. Maybe HR isn't your realm of expertise, but I would think as an executive you'd be able to at least get your point across.

Then again, I've read most of your posts and your negative attitude makes it pretty hard for me to believe you're an executive. Which makes me think it's either a family company, you had connections, or something happened in your life that was traumatic and really made you the consistent sour-puss that you seem to be on this board. Usually people with a glass half empty approach don't make it very far up the corporate ladder unless they are exceptional at what they do. Which I admit could be your case, but its doubtful.

First off, not sure about the "negative" posts you're referring to. If it's negative to point out some things that are wrong in the "me first" culture, then I suppose I'm guilty as charged.

With that being said, regarding hiring practices.....in this day and age, you are pretty limited by the things you can bring up or discover during the hiring process. We certainly don't make it a habit of asking if they're still on their parents' insurance or if they live with mom and dad, etc. A lot of who we hire are straight out of college and/or only have a couple years of experience. As I'm sure you're aware, it's fairly easy to BS during an interview to make sure you give HR what they're looking for. It's not like HR individuals are the sharpest tacks......:). And most of these kids are smart and pretty sophisticated when compared to 15 or 20 years ago....the difference is that a large % of them simply have no backbone. Not the end of the world, but it certainly speaks more to their parents than it does to them. Kids haven't changed.....the parents have, unfortunately.

First off, not sure about the "negative" posts you're referring to. If it's negative to point out some things that are wrong in the "me first" culture, then I suppose I'm guilty as charged.

With that being said, regarding hiring practices.....in this day and age, you are pretty limited by the things you can bring up or discover during the hiring process. We certainly don't make it a habit of asking if they're still on their parents' insurance or if they live with mom and dad, etc. A lot of who we hire are straight out of college and/or only have a couple years of experience. As I'm sure you're aware, it's fairly eamsy to BS during an interview to make sure you give HR what they're looking for. It's not like HR individuals are the sharpest tacks......:). And most of these kids are smart and pretty sophisticated when compared to 15 or 20 years ago....the difference is that a large % of them simply have no backbone. Not the end of the world, but it certainly speaks more to their parents than it does to them. Kids haven't changed.....the parents have, unfortunately.

Limited discovery in hiring process? Do they have this thing called the internet where you work? Sounds like you need to try and have a realistic view on this. Kids transfer for better opportunities as would I. Bo is being a hypocritical wisky snag. It happens when you live in wisky long enough.

...or you could stop posting ad nauseum on sports forums throughout your entire workday on a Tuesday. Not exactly "Executive" behavior, that.

Last edited:
...or you could stop posting ad nauseum on sports forums throughout your entire workday on a Tuesday. Not exactly "Executive" behavior, that.

There's this great thing called PTO that companies give you. It's great, you should try it.

Also, my 223 total posts certainly suggest that I post "throughout my entire workday" doesn't it?

There's this great thing called PTO that companies give you. It's great, you should try it.

Also, my 223 total posts certainly suggest that I post "throughout my entire workday" doesn't it?

Well you did on this day, my friend. And if you truly were home on leave, it was a personal day well-used, to be sure.

But, seriously, almost all of sportsnation thinks this is ridiculous. Only people close to Wisconsin Badger Basketball don't think that Bo is being an a-hole. He is. Everyone knows it. "Bo Ryan" is trending on Twitter - for all the wrong reasons. And to think of all those recruits who are on Twitter.... and read/watch ESPN.... huge blackeye for Bo. He really is a being an idiot here.

I guess I don't have a problem with this.

The young man (an adult) signed a contract to go play for a team that invested considerable resources, both in money and time, recruiting him to come play for them. In return for his services, they promised to pay for 100% of his tuition, room and board each year the scholarship was renewed.

This young man (an adult) knew or should have known what the possible repercussions would be if he decided to transfer for whatever reason.

This is no different than a non-compete clause that many companies require new employees to sign. Most of these scholarship contracts state that the school has the right to restrict where a player can play subsequent to his/her decision to transfer.

He certainly has every right to appeal, but the school also has every right to restrict where Mr. Uthoff takes his services to.

a one year contract.

Look, I can't stand Bo Ryan. Never have, never will. I think his mugging style of basketball is terrible for the game and his constant antics on the sidelines are childish, immature, and downright embarassing to himself and the University.

But I also can't stand the selfish, non-commital, "woe-is-me", pussification of teens and young adults that seem to be the norm anymore and not the exception. If you don't like something you've committed to, just quit. If someone is better than you and jumps over you in the workplace/court/field/etc.....then just quit or go home and cry to mom and dad and beg them to make it all better. It's gotten pathetic. As an executive, I see it all the time in the young people that my company hires...many are still on mommy and daddy's health insurance so they have extra money for beer. Many still live at home with mommy and daddy so they don't have to be responsible for rent or food or any of the other "inconveniences" that take money away from their brand-spanking new car or their weekend excursions.

That may be a little overboard when comparing to this Uthoff situation, but it really is a problem that's only going to keep getting worse as long as the adults that should know better keep allowing it to happen and, often times, perpetuating it.

Personally I think playing time is a legit reason to transfer, considering most of these kids accept an offer from the school to play basketball and not so much on the academics. Also if someone at my work place jumped ahead of me and put a damper on my future, I'd either work really hard for "MAYBE" a promotion in the future or move somewhere else were I could excel. Those are pretty much his two options, maybe play in the future or play the sport he loves somewhere that'll let him play now.

Last edited:
according to a Big Ten official, Uthoff can be on scholarship in the Big Ten if given a release by Wisconsin.

Uthoff update

Posted this in another thread:

Uthoff likes Iowa’s style of play, surprised by restriction list | Hawk Central

Jarrod Uthoff spent much of his freshman season at Wisconsin running the opponent’s offense in practice as a member of the scout team.

The former Cedar Rapids Jefferson all-state forward saw up close how schools like Iowa and Indiana play offense and he felt their more up-tempo styles suited him better than Bo Ryan’s offense at Wisconsin.

That’s why the 6-foot-8 Uthoff, who announced last week that he planned to leave the Badger program after one season, would like to have a chance to consider transferring to Iowa or Indiana.

“Yes, I would,†Uthoff said Tuesday afternoon in a phone interview.

However, Iowa and Indiana are among 25 schools that Ryan has put on a restricted list, which means they aren’t allowed to contact Uthoff. The restricted list includes all the schools in the Big Ten Conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference, as well as Iowa State and Marquette.

Uthoff has appealed the restrictions to the Wisconsin compliance office, but he hadn’t heard anything as of late Tuesday afternoon. Iowa is among four schools that Uthoff appealed for specifically in writing. The others are Indiana, Iowa State and Marquette.

“They said seven days and I wrote this last Thursday, so it should be pretty soon here,†said Uthoff, who was redshirted at Wisconsin this past season.

Asked if he was surprised that Ryan has placed so many schools on a restricted list, Uthoff said, “I am surprised. I don’t why they’re doing it.â€
Uthoff said Iowa’s success in Fran McCaffery’s second season as head coach is not the main reason he’s interested in becoming a Hawkeye. Iowa finished 18-17 overall this past season, its first winning season since the 2006-067 campaign.

The Hawkeyes also won a game in the Big Ten Tournament for the first time since 2006; a game in the National Invitation Tournament for the first time since 2003 and seven more games than the previous season.

“It’s about the style of play and how I’d fit into the style of play,†Uthoff said. “I ran every other Big Ten system (in practice). I liked (Iowa’s system).â€

Ironically, it was also about style of play when Uthoff picked Wisconsin over Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Illinois and Butler in July 2010. But his opinion changed after he started seeing Wisconsin’s offense on a daily basis.

The Big Ten has a policy that makes it difficult to transfer within the conference, especially on scholarship. And even if Uthoff won his appeal, he’d be required to sit out next season under NCAA transfer rules.

Uthoff plans to visit Creighton on Friday. But he said he wouldn’t commit until he has a chance to look at some other schools.

“I want to check out the others schools, too,†Uthoff said.

This marks the second time since 2010 that Iowa and Wisconsin have been involved with a player who changed his mind about which school to attend.

Guard Ben Brust asked to be released from his scholarship to Iowa after Todd Lickliter was fired as the Iowa coach in March 2010 and replaced by McCaffery. Iowa complied and Brust ultimately won an appeal that allowed him to be on scholarship at Wisconsin.

Uthoff also thinks he could be on scholarship at Iowa or Indiana if he won his appeal since he didn’t play in any games last season.

“The Big Ten just changed the rule, since I haven’t played in the Big Ten, then I can transfer to another Big Ten school,†Uthoff said.

Brust’s situation was different in that he never enrolled at Iowa and there was a head coaching change after he had signed with the Hawkeyes.

Again, Bo is a female dog.

Latest posts