Jarrod Uthoff

Re: Decision on Uthoff tomorrow

I am betting that if uthoff would have stuck the form down the front of his pants a certain assistant AD would have been glad to look for it.
The assistant AD in question lived down the hall from me in Hillcrest during my sophomore year at Iowa. I don't think it is a secret that he is from CR.

Add another school to the banned list. Florida asked for permission and now Bo has restricted them too. How about the entire SEC?

AAU coach: Bo Ryan bans Jarrod Uthoff from another school | TheGazette

What a complete d**k. I understand restrictions on conference schools and, honestly, I don't have a problem with that. But Bo has made it clear that he cares nothing about his players (or at least Uthoff). I think the NCAA needs to enact a rule that limits transfer restrictions to in-conference schools only.

I wish I was a lawyer. I'd contact the Uthoff's and offer to take the case pro bono if they were considering legal action. And not just because it's Wisky/Ryan. I think this action by any school and any coach is appalling.

Last edited:
Re: Uthoff update

Regardless of whether he comes here or not, I can't believe Wisconsin wants to keep a player that doesn't want to be there. Not to mention the freedom the coach could have in leaving at the drop of a hat.

Before Bo busted the 100 year old rule by pushing the Brust case, the coaches did not have to take the heat for restricting conference schools from transferring kids, since they were automatically off the list anyway. Now,becasuse of Bo, the coach holds the fate of the kid in his hands,and has to tell the kid who wants to transfer within the league no way...making hims the bad guy. Reap it,Bo! You made your bed,and now your are the jerk...nothing new for you anyway,but now it is exposed for the whole world to see. Citing the Iverson case is weak...like Iverson was going to attend a Big Ten school and pay his own way...it was a formality in the past,now it is a reality..thanks to Bo and the Brust Rule. Way to screw up a nice stable situation,Bo!

Even if Wisconsin granted the full release...

I don't think he should be able to go to any big ten school and should have to sit out a year. Do we want that can or worms opened? What if Aaron White wants to play for Ohio State next year?

with no restrictions, Uthoff would not be eligible to play anywhere next year, outside of JUCO. The transfer rules would still apply. The release has to do with Uthoff's ability to receive a scholarship and have school paid for the year when he is sitting out due to transfer rules.

So to answer your hypothetical, if Aaron White wanted to play for Ohio State next year, he couldn't, short of receiving a waiver from the NCAA (due to a death in the family or some serious mitigating issue).

No matter what happens Uthoff will have to sit out a year and he has already used his redshirt. I think Uthoff should tell Bo Ryan go ---- --- and enroll at Kirkwood where he can play right away. After 1 year at Kirkwood (the year he has to sit out at any D1 school) he can then go anywhere he wants on scholarship for the last 3 years.

Re: Uthoff update

I think he thinks playing at a JUCO is beneath him.

I would not understand why he would, he has to sit out another year anyway. If he got his release and transferred to another D1 school he has to sit out another year, which makes 2 years of not playing competitive basketball. Had he not burned his redshirt I would feel different, then going to a Juco makes no sense as you lose a year.

No matter what happens Uthoff will have to sit out a year and he has already used his redshirt. I think Uthoff should tell Bo Ryan go ---- --- and enroll at Kirkwood where he can play right away. After 1 year at Kirkwood (the year he has to sit out at any D1 school) he can then go anywhere he wants on scholarship for the last 3 years.

Or go D2 for a year. Whatever situation will best prepare you for getting back to D1 next year. Then come to Iowa and put that rat faced ******* in his place!

Juco if the smartest option if he doesn't win his appeal. Just as long as he doesn't play at the juco. He might get some really nice offers that way cause he wouldn't take up a scholly sitting on the bench.

Juco if the smartest option if he doesn't win his appeal. Just as long as he doesn't play at the juco. He might get some really nice offers that way cause he wouldn't take up a scholly sitting on the bench.

He might as well play at the JUCO, as he loses a year of eligibility whether he plays or not. If he went to Indian Hills or SECC he could get good coaching and play against some good teams/players and improve his game.

He might as well play at the JUCO, as he loses a year of eligibility whether he plays or not. If he went to Indian Hills or SECC he could get good coaching and play against some good teams/players and improve his game.

This. If he looses the appeal, he should go to a good JUCO for a year, play, work hard on his game, and then transfer to a D1 school.
My question though is, can he receive a scholarship from the restricted schools after next year? Sounds like he can, but I don't know.

I know we just look at this from a basketball perspective, but from an academic perspective, he'd be better off transferring straight to the university he wants to attend and give up the year of eligibility to continue his studies. This way he can continue on his path towards graduation. Going to a JUCO, and then transferring again would be 3 schools in 3 years, and I would assume that would be a lot of wasted classroom time as not all of those courses at the previous 2 schools will count toward his new school's graduation requirements.

Sam who??? I think you forgot Adam... Someone pee on you're lawn today grump?
Sorry...Sam 'Okey'. Not sure how you get that I'm at all mad. I was just pointing out that the Brust situation isn't at all the same as Uthoff.Brust committed and signed a LOI. Before he enrolled at Iowa, Lick, the guy who was the coach he committed to, was canned. He asked for, and was granted, his release because the situation had changed dramatically.Uthoff committed and signed a LOI. He attended school, was a member of the basketball team at said school, and decided it wasn't a fit...for him....while nothing changed at the school he committed.See the difference?

Everyone knows that there are differences and what they are. But the situations are still similar.

Ita apparent that Bo wants to ensure Jared never plays against the Badgers unless it's in the Big Dance. Florida and Wisconsin are playing a home and home in the next couple years. The only school that is still a head scratcher is ISU.

My hope is Uthoff gets an unconditional release so Wisky can save a little face and he becomes a Hawk.

Except he'd sit out a year, so in essence Bo would only have to face Uthoff one time in his career per the schedule. What a joke.

Does Iowa have a shot with Uthoff?

Soooooo... it's looking more and more like Uthoff is going to get an unconditional release. If that's the case does Iowa have a shot a Uthoff? Does it make sense to use the last schollie this year for a kid who can't play right away? I guess that shouldn't really be a factor as signing Uthoff for next year is no different than banking the schollie for one year.

Re: Does Iowa have a shot with Uthoff?

have you seen usa today article about bo ryan.he said he`s doing same thing as every coach do......

Iowa is looking for a wing if they are going to sign anyone this year. I honestly don't think Iowa is trying that hard, but I may be wrong. It just takes a ship away for 2013 and you get no help next year.

Soooooo... it's looking more and more like Uthoff is going to get an unconditional release. If that's the case does Iowa have a shot a Uthoff? Does it make sense to use the last schollie this year for a kid who can't play right away? I guess that shouldn't really be a factor as signing Uthoff for next year is no different than banking the schollie for one year.

No way. Iowa doesn't need another SF/PF player. Why would Fran even be interested in him, he shunned Fran for Bo when given an scholarship and Fran then offered Aaron White. Think that worked out well.

Iowa needs a wing. Plus he hasn't even played a minute of college ball and would provide no support next season and use one of only 2 scholarships (as of right now) available for 2013 season.

He goes to TrasferU. Best opportunity for him to play when they graduate 6 players next season.

No way. Iowa doesn't need another SF/PF player. Why would Fran even be interested in him, he shunned Fran for Bo when given an scholarship and Fran then offered Aaron White. Think that worked out well.

Iowa needs a wing. Plus he hasn't even played a minute of college ball and would provide no support next season and use one of only 2 scholarships (as of right now) available for 2013 season.

He goes to TrasferU. Best opportunity for him to play when they graduate 6 players next season.

You're crazy.

First off, he was a former Mr. Basketball in this state. When you're a struggling program, you take Mr. Basketball's from your state.

Second, he'd have to sit out a year and then be available for 3. By the time he's ready to play, Basabe would be a senior and White a junior. There's nothing wrong with having a senior, junior and sophomore as your PF/SF options.

Third, you can't blame him for shunning Iowa. We just brought in a new coach that he didn't know from Joe Blow and were coming off our worst stretch in the program's history. Wisky was a known commodity who has been to 5 Sweet 16s in 12 years.

Finally, by all accounts, the reason Bo is blocking so many schools is that he and his coaching staff are extremely impressed by both his skills and his BB IQ. This one hurts them bad. Given that Bo is the winningest coach in Big 10 history and his teams have never finished lower than 4th in his 12 years as coach, he certainly knows a thing or two about players. That's enough for me.

Latest posts