Jarrod Uthoff

Re: Decision on Uthoff tomorrow

I don't think he should be able to go to any big ten school and should have to sit out a year. Do we want that can or worms opened? What if Aaron White wants to play for Ohio State next year?

Absolutely!! It would totally suck if AW wants to go back to Ohio. But hey. It's a free country but not so much in NCAA athletics.

btw I suspect AW likes Iowa City, Fran and his team mates....and beating down the Buckeyes a couple of times in the near future.

That can of worms has already been opened with Brust. If someone has yet to play for a team... and wishes to transfer.... let him! Same with White... if White no longer wants to be a Hawkeye... I think it is only fair to let him go.

I think Sam Okie and Luke "Rim" Recker...more similar to Uthoff. Brust's situation...not at all the same as Utoff.

Last edited:

That can of worms has already been opened with Brust. If someone has yet to play for a team... and wishes to transfer.... let him! Same with White... if White no longer wants to be a Hawkeye... I think it is only fair to let him go.
I think Sam Okie and Luke "Rim" Recker...more similar to Uthoff. Brust's situation...not at all the same as Utoff.

Agreed, and those guys paid their own way and that's the way it should be. Neither of them left after one year either if I recall, Hell Rucker was at Zona before ending up at Iowa after his car accident.

Sam who??? I think you forgot Adam... Someone pee on you're lawn today grump?

Agreed, and those guys paid their own way and that's the way it should be. Neither of them left after one year either if I recall, Hell Rucker was at Zona before ending up at Iowa after his car accident.

Recker is not similar to any of them. He came back to the Big Ten to be close to family after a life-threatening (and life-changing) car accident.

Schools like Iowa would suffer greatly if the transfer rule allows players to go within the conference. Might as well throw out letter of intent while we are at it and let players be stolen over the summer.

Schools like Iowa would suffer greatly if the transfer rule allows players to go within the conference. Might as well throw out letter of intent while we are at it and let players be stolen over the summer.

The transfer rules do allow in conference transfers now, on scholarship. Yet there is the release factor.

As I understand it Uthoff could transfer to Iowa right now (or any of the restricted schools) if he really wanted to, he'd just have to pay his own way.

Given how much publicity this has received, I wonder if Wisky will just give him a total unconditional release so they can try to save some face....IF that happened...might get interesting. Doubtful, however.

I'd be OK going and paying their own way. Since Iowa fired Lick I was OK with Brust being given a full release. That's pretty tough on a kid. I would be OK with full release if a coach gets fired or leaves for another job, even if a kid has played a couple years.

Just to leave, with full release and a scholarship, to another big ten school is something I'm not in agreement with.

No one really answered my other question. Uthoff might want Iowa but does Iowa want him now. We've kind of replaced his skill set. He is not an athletic, slashing wing is he?

Add another school to the banned list. Florida asked for permission and now Bo has restricted them too. How about the entire SEC?

AAU coach: Bo Ryan bans Jarrod Uthoff from another school | TheGazette

Ita apparent that Bo wants to ensure Jared never plays against the Badgers unless it's in the Big Dance. Florida and Wisconsin are playing a home and home in the next couple years. The only school that is still a head scratcher is ISU.

My hope is Uthoff gets an unconditional release so Wisky can save a little face and he becomes a Hawk.

Sam who??? I think you forgot Adam... Someone pee on you're lawn today grump?

Sorry...Sam 'Okey'. Not sure how you get that I'm at all mad. I was just pointing out that the Brust situation isn't at all the same as Uthoff.

Brust committed and signed a LOI. Before he enrolled at Iowa, Lick, the guy who was the coach he committed to, was canned. He asked for, and was granted, his release because the situation had changed dramatically.

Uthoff committed and signed a LOI. He attended school, was a member of the basketball team at said school, and decided it wasn't a fit...for him....while nothing changed at the school he committed.

See the difference?

If I were Uthoff, I would tell Bo to go **** himself, pay my own way at Iowa, and then light him up next year.

Every time I hit a three I would make a money motion with my hands.

I'd be OK going and paying their own way. Since Iowa fired Lick I was OK with Brust being given a full release. That's pretty tough on a kid. I would be OK with full release if a coach gets fired or leaves for another job, even if a kid has played a couple years.

Just to leave, with full release and a scholarship, to another big ten school is something I'm not in agreement with.

No one really answered my other question. Uthoff might want Iowa but does Iowa want him now. We've kind of replaced his skill set. He is not an athletic, slashing wing is he?

Yeah, I'm with you in wondering if we really want him. He's not the three we need and we have a ton of fours already.

Re: Uthoff update

Adam Haluska says hello.
If I am not mistaken, Haluska experienced a change in head coaches from the time he committed to the time he transferred, although I believe the new coach came from the Eustacy staff, I believe. Still, it was not quite what he signed on for, so it is a little different.

But I can understand drawing the comparison. It is a fairer comparison than Ben Brust. Now, in Adam's defense, the new coach did end up using some shady practices, so that is another instance where the comparison to Brust is a little off.

Re: Uthoff update

=

Not true. In some cases, yes. In all....not true. There is a reason that some contracts have out clauses for a coach to go to a certain school if that job comes open. Its not true that that is the case for all schools.

Next.
I ,would have to check into this closer to say so definitively, but I believe you are wrong in this day and age. Nowadays, if a coach is going to leave a team will have an orderly process in place for them to do so.

You talk of a coach not letting a player out of a scholarship as being wrong, but then infer that a school should have the power to fire a coach if they want but not let him leave if he wants? I would be wiling to bet that since schools don't want a coach around if he doesn't want to be there that virtually every coach has some sort of out clause or orderly manner that is outlined in the event that they want to take a different job. Even if they don't have it in their original contract, an orderly settlement is always arrived at and it is worked into the contract as some sort of amendment. so, under that scenario, whether you like it or not, they are abiding by their contract.

Next.

Yeah, I'm with you in wondering if we really want him. He's not the three we need and we have a ton of fours already.

Utoff is a poor mans Aaron White. Will probably be a good player but Iowa really doesn't need any more 4s.

Latest posts