ISU/Iowa thoughts

We can only beat ourselves. If IOWA plays a solid game, it's a victory. That being said, I've seen KFz give this game away too many times to be overly optimistic.

One thing I think we all can agree on is Don't Play Conservative, if we get a lead build on it until the final gun goes off.Put the pedal to the metal and kick them when their down then kick them again so they want to give up. I miss those games. Go Hawks

Anyone know what FOX channel is carrying the game? Is it FOX nationally, FS1 or what? Need to know if I need to make plans for watching it at the local I club get together....would be nice to watch it at home for a change. Please advise...thx!
The game is being aired on my local Fox channel rather than a cable channel.

Most know I'm an ISU fan, I've been saying all offseason that I thought Iowa would win and I still do. Reasons:

1. Richardson, despite a good stat line really looked bad the first few quarters. He never got comfortable. Most of the sacks he took were his fault IMO by being indecisive. If he can't play better no chance to win.

2. I'm concerned about the run game between the tackles as Iowa made hay there against the other ISU. I'm concerned about that.

ISU has a few areas they can exploit, one being the receivers which they didn't utilize because Richardson had no touch on his deep balls. Again, he has to play better.

ISU spent all offseason saying they were going to switch to a 3-4, I didn't really believe it, but they ran it pretty dang well on Saturday. If they can slow down the interior run game, I think they can mix stuff up with some interesting blitzes at your young tackles and hopefully take advantage.

You can sort of throw out the stats against UNI. The field position game was really bizarre due to UNI's punter being so bad and ISU's punter being good. Also, UNI didn't have any deep game so ISU basically sold out blitzing and stopping the run. ISU doesn't appear to have a run game again, but again there were some injuries on the o-line and Burton is listed at day-to-day so hopefully he plays.

Couldn't say exactly what will happen but I still tip the scales to the hawks.
I think Iowa has a slight edge in overall talent albeit not at all positions. ISU will need to find a run game so they're not forced to be one dimensional where Iowa can focus on pressuring Richardson. Most likely the game will be won by the team that is more emotionally fired up. I think KF is going to let the emotions run high so I favor Iowa by three.

Its hard to take anything away from the first game for both teams. You don't know how good the FCS teams ISU/Iowa played actally are. I think ISU looked a little better on defense than they did a year ago. But I also think UNI has offensive issues.

I think UNI has issues - period. That is the worst UNI team I have seen in a long time. Their (un)special teams were simply horrible - horrible!
I can't imagine what Mark Farley thought after that debacle (debauchery). If the Hawks somehow " Ferentz" their way to a loss this Saturday, the season is over.

One side note: Why wasn't Iowa throwing downfield against Illinois State? Don't we need to work on that...?

C.J Beathard needs to be sharper, throwing it, than against the other ISU.
Although Canzeri had a Big day, it could have been Bigger if CJ hits a couple of other
easy passes.

#gohawks

I really like our secondary......it's deep and tough.

Seemed like our reserve secondary (fleming) got torched alot.

Most of the game they really never got tested because of our pass rush.

If we can rush the passer like that.. yeah I'm not worried.

I think UNI has issues - period. That is the worst UNI team I have seen in a long time. Their (un)special teams were simply horrible - horrible!
I can't imagine what Mark Farley thought after that debacle (debauchery). If the Hawks somehow " Ferentz" their way to a loss this Saturday, the season is over.

One side note: Why wasn't Iowa throwing downfield against Illinois State? Don't we need to work on that...?

Why show it, if you don't need to.

<<One side note: Why wasn't Iowa throwing downfield against Illinois State? Don't we need to work on that?...>>

If we had "needed" to throw downfield, I'm sure we would have thrown downfield. But when you can ground out 6-minute TD drives without having to throw downfield, you don't throw downfield.

Was not impressed with ISU at all in this game. ISU's longest drive was 55 yards. ISU's scoring drives:

5 plays 38 yards TD

7 plays 20 yards FG

2 plays 43 yards TD

3 plays 23 yards TD

Iowa's scoring drives:

81, 99, 45, 57, 66

ISU had 9 possessions that were 5 plays or less that ended in a punt/missed FG/TO. Iowa had 3 possessions that were 5 plays or less and ended in a missed FG/Punt/TO. Plus one of those was by the second team and was Wadley's fumble. (not counting end of half/end of game for either team).

I'm actually not to worried about this game. I think ISU's new 3-4 D is going to have a hard time holding up at the point of attack. ISU always plays up for Iowa, but I just didn't see anything that made me think, WOW, ISU is gonna be tough this year.

Last edited:
I think Iowa is going to come into this game with a chip on their shoulder from last years loss.

The D is going to dominate again, young linebackers make a mistake on a drive and give up a TD.

30-13 Iowa.

Tough game to call after just one game and not seeing ketchup and musturd. I will say, our Hawks are notorious for starting slow, looking like big soft sleeping grizzly bears in September. Last Saturday, was the best I have seen them look on an opening day in years. Efficient, aggressive, smart, skilled.

Otter beat his guy every single time I isolated on him. Mabin looked really really good. O line gave up no sacks. LeShun may be the real deal. Jaleel has some quickness to him and imo may be an upgrade to a guy playing in the pros this year. Goldie missed a few balls here and there but led the team really well. Receivers all made plays.

bottom line- for me it's now a mindset thing with clown town. Do we have the nuts to make the plays and win and do it on the road. Tbd. Go Hawks

The clowns run game is terrible. Iowa just shut down a 2,000 plus yard rusher who is far better than any RB the clowns have. Iowa shut down a dual threat QB who is also better than the clown QB. Iowa's DBs will have the clown receivers covered. The clown's Oline is not very good either. So once again he won't have time to do much.

The clown's defence is also horrible, especially against the run. Iowa controls the game on the ground. I see this one going a lot like the 2010 game. Daniels and Canzari will run like Robinson and Hampton did. Iowa controls the clock with long sustained drives Iowa wins by 24.

The clowns run game is terrible. Iowa just shut down a 2,000 plus yard rusher who is far better than any RB the clowns have. Iowa shut down a dual threat QB who is also better than the clown QB. Iowa's DBs will have the clown receivers covered. The clown's Oline is not very good either. So once again he won't have time to do much.

The clown's defence is also horrible, especially against the run. Iowa controls the game on the ground. I see this one going a lot like the 2010 game. Daniels and Canzari will run like Robinson and Hampton did. Iowa controls the clock with long sustained drives Iowa wins by 24.

So I assume you watched the ISU/UNI game?

This is not a good UNI team. The clowns had lost their 2 previous games against fcs teams. The 2014 UNI team would beat this clown team. Illinois State is the best FCS team in the country. They would beat the clowns just like NDSU did last year. Iowa is 2 levels above the clowns.

So I assume you watched the ISU/UNI game?

I watched, and ISU was just not impressive at all. No drives over 55 yds, 9 drives of 5 plays or less. Out gained UNI 310-302 is all. Really the game came down to field position. If UNI and ISU swapped punters then UNI flips the field position and is in that game.

Latest posts