ISU/Iowa thoughts

Series History

[video=youtube;4GLZyuVB5Bs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GLZyuVB5Bs[/video]

So many times I've felt Iowa had a better team than ISU. Probably many years that I felt were an even bigger gap than this year and we lost at home.

So I just can't pick the Hawks to win but I can't pick em to lose either. I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy it as a true fan with no prediction.

And what's not to enjoy. These 2 teams may not be the best ISU/Iowa teams to face off but is this matchup the most intriguing with all the pressure both coaches are feeling and how bad both programs and fan bases want this one??

Last edited:
Iowa is doing more now. Not taking a kneee at end of the half, going for it on 4th down, and what I saw on saturday demonstrated a bit more creativity on offense. I'll add one more thing. Iowa actually returned punts for yards. These things show commitment to change. And these things may make the difference between winning and losing.

Did not see any of the ISU game, just the final score... Not really concerned with what they do, this game will be about what we do, if defense plays solid again, and we are able to run the ball, Iowa will win the game.

What???

When Iowa has a great team they beat ISU in either place. KF has had 5 legit Big 10 title/BCS caliber type teams. 02, 03, 04, 09, 10.

The 03 and 09 teams whooped ISU in Ames in blowouts.
2010 was a blow out in Iowa City.
2004 was like a 7 point Iowa win at home.
2002...nobody had really figured out yet that Wallace was a 1 man gang for ISU. Otherwise, those teams listed would have been a perfect 5-0 vs ISU.

ISU does has a history of beating 7 win or less Iowa teams. Point being that If Iowa wins, you need to see how this teams plays out to guage their ability. If Iowa losses on Saturday than it probably means they go 7-5 at best.

I think you're missing my point, Iowa has had their hands full with this team that can't even win enough games to go to a bowl. Do the math if we're a 7 win team and their a 2 -5 win team we should beat them every time. We've been favored by double digit numbers many times and either got beat or was lucky in winning. Maybe someone in the know can answer this, since they enclosed the end zone does the wind still swirl like a twister. Made a big difference on punting and throwing the ball.

Last edited:
I feel more confident than I have in years. I expect the game to resemble the last time the game was in Ames, but the big difference is Iowa doesn't have an offensive lineman running the football. Daniels and Canzeri both go for 100+.

Did not see any of the ISU game, just the final score... Not really concerned with what they do, this game will be about what we do, if defense plays solid again, and we are able to run the ball, Iowa will win the game.

UNI looked bad. They will probably be middle of their own conference this year.

If we can run the ball against ISU we have a strong chance.

If we have to pass... I'm concerned.

Also our secondary against theirs has me worried.

Last edited:
KF has lost 9 of 16 and some those losses have been to really bad ISU teams. The only X and O thing I have is that they are going to have to push the ball down the field some. There will be a handful of big play opportunities in the passing game and they have to connect on a couple.

It is not even an X an O thing with me, it is Iowa's mindset, about imposing their will for 4 Qtrs. Don't let ISU feed on the momentum. If the game is close ISU will probably win, game decided by 5 or more points I think Iowa wins. I hate that the "State Super Bowl" has become an indicator of how Iowa's season will play out, but there is no way around it. If ISU can expose Iowa's weaknesses there are probably at least 6 other teams on Iowa's schedule who can do the same.

Iowa is doing more now. Not taking a kneee at end of the half, going for it on 4th down, and what I saw on saturday demonstrated a bit more creativity on offense. I'll add one more thing. Iowa actually returned punts for yards. These things show commitment to change. And these things may make the difference between winning and losing.

Agree, NC; Saturday was a refreshing return to basic, competitive, play-to-win football that has been inconsistent the last 7 to 8 seasons and completely awol the last 5. I gave Kirk / Davis credit for it in the game thread. However, the cynic in me has seen derKirkFer do this over and over in "meaningless" non-con games, only to, inexplicably, go right back to his conservative decisions, strategies that fail to attack the opponent's weakness and overall game-management blunders. It's like he can only muster up the effort once or twice per season, to placate the fans, then can't help reverting to his fetal position.

So, I'll qualify your comments with a big "IF" they continue to show commitment to intent, they will have a very successful season (up to 9 wins) and, more importantly, a very satisfying season.

All that said, I'm gonna go with the Hawks 30 - 20.
- Koehn is 3-3 and BIG14 special team p.o.w.
- Ott forces hurried throw that results in a Mabin pick-6 and also gets 2 sax;
- Daniels goes for 103 on 22 carries and 1td
- CJ naked boots (yeah, I said naked boot under derKirkFeravis;)) for the other td, that is set up by a draw to Canzerri for 32 yards on 3rd / 3.
- We still struggle with the WR deep and wonder where the hell is Krieger-Coble in the passing game.

If we can run the ball against ISU we have a strong chance.

If we have to pass... I'm concerned.

Also our secondary against theirs has me worried.

C.J Beathard needs to be sharper, throwing it, than against the other ISU.
Although Canzeri had a Big day, it could have been Bigger if CJ hits a couple of other
easy passes.

#gohawks

I really like our secondary......it's deep and tough.

I think you're missing my point, Iowa has had their hands full with this team that can't even win enough games to go to a bowl. Do the math if we're a 7 win team and their a 2 -5 win team we should beat them every time. We've been favored by double digit numbers many times and either got beat or was lucky in winning.

I was clearly addressing the point you made about "Big 10 title contending" Iowa teams losing to ISU, which wasn't accurate.
So now it's about citing Vegas point spreads as the best indicator or how a team will or can perform? Look at KF's record in games the last 10 years where Iowa is a double digit favorite. It's really bad compared to OSU, Wisconsin, MSU, etc. Apparently Vegas hasn't been paying attention to KF's style, and they are bad at their job??? OR they know how to get even money on both sides with spreads that aren't indicative of how the game may actually go. I'm going to lean towards the latter when it comes to vegas spreads.

Going back to 2000 with McCarney as coach, ISU has gone to 8 bowl games, and holds a 8-7 edge in the series.
ISU is 6-2 vs Iowa in years they go to a bowl game.
The record of the 8 Iowa teams that ISU beat?
3-7, 7-5, 11-2, 7-5, 6-6, 7-6, 4-8, 7-6
ISU bowl teams typically beat AT BEST 6 or 7 win Iowa teams.
Bolded/underlined Iowa records when ISU didn't go to a bowl yet still won.
Even when ISU wins, they typically have to gut out a close victory in a game between teams of somewhat evenly matched records by seasons end.

In the 7 years that ISU did not go to a bowl, the Clones are 2-5 vs Iowa.
One win came vs Iowa when they did not go to a bowl either(by 2 points). The other was last year(by 3 points).
The margins of victory for Iowa in their 7 wins?
19, 7, 10, 12, 32, 28, 6.
The 7 and 32 point wins came vs ISU bowl teams in Ames.
That leaves only 1 Iowa win by single digits over a bad ISU team. The rest of Iowa's wins were moderate to decisive victories, and the 6 point win was a whole lot of domination for 3 qtrs, before the game nearly slipped away late.

Back to the point at hand. If Iowa is really good/nationally relevant, they'll likely handle ISU pretty easily on the scoreboard. If Iowa and ISU are both medicore, ISU likely wins a close one. If ISU sucks, and Iowa is mediocre-ish at worst, Iowa likely wins by about 7-14 points.

Last edited:
I have been as hard on KF as anyone. This is a different Iowa team from last year. That said, I watched the clown game too, Iowa will win by three touchdowns. That was not a good UNI team, ISU has some real problems on both lines. ISU has a good punter, and Lazard is the real thing. Other than that they suck. Go Hawks, On Iowa and **** the Clowns.

I was clearly addressing the point you made about "Big 10 title contending" Iowa teams losing to ISU, which wasn't accurate.
So now it's about citing Vegas point spreads as the best indicator or how a team will or can perform? Look at KF's record in games the last 10 years where Iowa is a double digit favorite. It's really bad compared to OSU, Wisconsin, MSU, etc. Apparently Vegas hasn't been paying attention to KF's style, and they are bad at their job??? OR they know how to get even money on both sides with spreads that aren't indicative of how the game may actually go. I'm going to lean towards the latter when it comes to vegas spreads.

Going back to 2000 with McCarney as coach, ISU has gone to 8 bowl games, and holds a 8-7 edge in the series.
ISU is 6-2 vs Iowa in years they go to a bowl game.
The record of the 8 Iowa teams that ISU beat?
3-7, 7-5, 11-2, 7-5, 6-6, 7-6, 4-8, 7-6
ISU bowl teams typically beat AT BEST 6 or 7 win Iowa teams.
Bolded/underlined Iowa records when ISU didn't go to a bowl yet still won.
Even when ISU wins, they typically have to gut out a close victory in a game between teams of somewhat evenly matched records by seasons end.

In the 7 years that ISU did not go to a bowl, the Clones are 2-5 vs Iowa.
One win came vs Iowa when they did not go to a bowl either(by 2 points). The other was last year(by 3 points).
The margins of victory for Iowa in their 7 wins?
19, 7, 10, 12, 32, 28, 6.
The 7 and 32 point wins came vs ISU bowl teams in Ames.
That leaves only 1 Iowa win by single digits over a bad ISU team. The rest of Iowa's wins were moderate to decisive victories, and the 6 point win was a whole lot of domination for 3 qtrs, before the game nearly slipped away late.

Back to the point at hand. If Iowa is really good/nationally relevant, they'll likely handle ISU pretty easily on the scoreboard. If Iowa and ISU are both medicore, ISU likely wins a close one. If ISU sucks, and Iowa is mediocre-ish at worst, Iowa likely wins by about 7-14 points.

At best ISU will end up at 5-7, you could make the argument that the game at TTech is a swing game. So what are talking Iowa wins by 10? Or ISU wins in a close one?

I'd say watching this game was an experience void of the usual frustrations that we all experienced over the last few years. There were a few really fun moments too. Iowa did what we all hoped they would do. OK. On to the next one with reason to expect to have fun watching.

2002...nobody had really figured out yet that Wallace was a 1 man gang for ISU. Otherwise, those teams listed would have been a perfect 5-0 vs ISU.

this is total nitpicking but 2002 was Wallaces second year so it was obvious by that point he was one man show.

Overall agree with your point though. With the exception of 2002, ISU beating Iowa generally means that Iowa isn't going to be that good.

Latest posts