ISU/Iowa thoughts

Simply put:

Iowa > Illinois State
Illinois State > The clowns
Therefore
Iowa >> The clowns
Illinois State >> UNI

If I'm a Clownie fan, sure I'm happy as a clam that ISU won easily finally over a FCS team. I would be very concerned that the FCS school had just as many yards, and if you swapped punters for that game, UNI has a very good shot at winning that game. ISU had 193 punt return yards in the game compared to 0 punt return yards for UNI. The UNI punter was awful. He punted low line drives, and ISU returned them to the tune of 193 yards, and that is why they dominated field position and why they won the game.

What you say may very well be true but based on the Illinois State game, Iowa's punter is also quite adept at low line drives that barely clear the los.

Say what you want, but I did have one of the closest final score predictions for the Illinois State game. I also had the only accurate prediction for the number of sacks given up for the game. Think twice before you ridicule my predictions for this game.

I think your understanding of the ISU fanbase is poor.

It will be hard to convince me that ISU fans don't solely judge their program on that game. Just ask any Clownie what program is better, and they will cite their 9-7 record vs Iowa. That is it, they don't look at # of bowl games, or overall number of wins over those 16 years. They don't talk about conference record, or conference championships. The one and only measure that a Clown looks to is their record vs Iowa. What is Hawk fan to think with this overwhelming evidence that this is the only game that counts for Clownie?

If someone asked me if Michigan or Iowa was better, I wouldn't just say that Iowa is 6-4 in their last 10 vs. Michigan so they are better. I would take a measure of each program. So until Clown fan can actually look at their program as a whole, this is their #SuperBowl, and only game that matters.

I think your understanding of the ISU fanbase is poor.

Your entire fanbase convinced themselves that Rhoads was building all kinds of momentum when the results showed they weren't getting any better at all. How did you do that? By comparing yourselves to Iowa who was getting worse at the same time. No other fanbase in the country would look at a coach going 3-5, 3-5, 3-6, 3-6 in conference and convince themselves they were on an upward trend, yet ISU fans did just that.

And spoiler alert....you weren't on an upward trend as ol' CPR went 2-16 in B12 play the next two years but kept his job...because he beat Iowa last year.

I watched, and ISU was just not impressive at all. No drives over 55 yds, 9 drives of 5 plays or less. Out gained UNI 310-302 is all. Really the game came down to field position. If UNI and ISU swapped punters then UNI flips the field position and is in that game.

Do any Clownies want to argue this now? I mean seriously, the Clowns had the exact same number of total yards this game as against UNI (310 total yards). The problem was they had 0 return yards instead of the 193 return yards they had vs UNI. That is the difference between winning by 24 and losing by 14

Another competitive game between the two schools. Better team won and ISU has no excuses. Good luck the rest of the season.

Another competitive game between the two schools. Better team won and ISU has no excuses. Good luck the rest of the season.

Keep your chin up Bryce. Iowa is better than Clownies will admit, and the Big12 is weaker than Clownies will admit. ISU will get to 5 wins this year.

Latest posts