ISU/Iowa thoughts

Most know I'm an ISU fan, I've been saying all offseason that I thought Iowa would win and I still do. Reasons:

1. Richardson, despite a good stat line really looked bad the first few quarters. He never got comfortable. Most of the sacks he took were his fault IMO by being indecisive. If he can't play better no chance to win.

2. I'm concerned about the run game between the tackles as Iowa made hay there against the other ISU. I'm concerned about that.

ISU has a few areas they can exploit, one being the receivers which they didn't utilize because Richardson had no touch on his deep balls. Again, he has to play better.

ISU spent all offseason saying they were going to switch to a 3-4, I didn't really believe it, but they ran it pretty dang well on Saturday. If they can slow down the interior run game, I think they can mix stuff up with some interesting blitzes at your young tackles and hopefully take advantage.

You can sort of throw out the stats against UNI. The field position game was really bizarre due to UNI's punter being so bad and ISU's punter being good. Also, UNI didn't have any deep game so ISU basically sold out blitzing and stopping the run. ISU doesn't appear to have a run game again, but again there were some injuries on the o-line and Burton is listed at day-to-day so hopefully he plays.

Couldn't say exactly what will happen but I still tip the scales to the hawks.

Well, ya just know Richardson will play like a Heisman candidate, so there's that. I would expect Iowa to run right at your middle to test, if the struggle there...well, hopefully we have a vertical game. I hope to God we blitz, and get home. Need Ott to go beast mode.

Can't get myself to be optimistic.

The king v Lazard could be interesting. Best players on both teams one on one. Of course Richardson will probably magically turn into Peyton manning next week, why oh why does that happen?

Clown talent is a step down from the best fcs/1aa teams such as Illinois State. NDSU, and UNI in their good years beat the clowns. If the clowns were to play Illinois State this year they would lose.

Not really sure if you're serious? If so you may have a substance abuse problem or huff paint. I hope you get it figured out..

The king v Lazard could be interesting. Best players on both teams one on one. Of course Richardson will probably magically turn into Peyton manning next week, why oh why does that happen?

Why? because we let them. Its not Hog U that turns into world beaters against us, its everyone. Northwestern exposed Iowa years ago with the quick, short passes to keep are D line from getting any kind of pressure. I expect the same to happen this year but thankfully we have some good DB's that can cover. Isu looked awful the first half last night vs what could be one of the worst UNI teams in the past 10 years. They cant run the ball and wont be able to this weekend. They will use the pass as a run. Hopefully kirk and the gang goes into the week with a "play to win" mentality and not the "play not to lose" bs they have put on the field the past 5 years.

We have got to get lots of [pressure on Robertson - get him making bad throws, turning into turnovers- which we didn't get yesterday! Offense will pretty much be the same I bet - maybe a few deep throws, and QB dashes on 1st down. We will be fine!! Iowa 24 - 21

[/B]Iowa is a little bit better than ISU this year. Better run and pass balance, little edge in off line and Dee lines, etc. ISU maybe better short passing game.

But Iowa was much better than ISU last year and lost at home as you all know by playing passive.

If Iowa goes in there like 2013 and plays good defense and balanced offense with tough run game they will win.

2013 was actually a classic KF type of game. Execution, playing passive offense, and waiting for the opponent to make mistakes were the key factors. Iowa's OL and Iowa's front 7 executed well and controlled the game. But Iowa was extremely cautious throughout, refused to step on the gas, and it nearly cost them the game in the end. This was a game that Iowa dominated for over 3 quarters but Iowa St hit some big plays late and were an onside kick away from taking this game down to the final seconds.

Rudock only threw the ball 23 times even though Iowa had guys open all day while Iowa ran the ball over 50 times. MW alone has 35 carries. Thankfully the OL was opening holes and he was able to make solid gains on most of his carries. And the D had a couple big INTs and allowed next to nothing on the ground.

Anyone know what FOX channel is carrying the game? Is it FOX nationally, FS1 or what? Need to know if I need to make plans for watching it at the local I club get together....would be nice to watch it at home for a change. Please advise...thx!

11220107_10153512718198847_5408738922350629625_n.jpg

I think Iowa's offense looked better than expected. I think ISU's defense looked better than expected. I don't know what any of that means though. ISU's offensive struggles are nothing new. There's talent at WR, but sketchy QB play. Iowa showed up well on the DL, and the corners, which would be best served to stop ISU.

Overall I think the match-up is more intriguing than in recent years passed. It'll be a close one IMO.

Last edited:
You can bet this will be a tough game for whoever wins it. They've given us fits the last few years. We've gone in there with a Big Ten Championship team before and got our butts beat. It's a dog fight every time we play them.

What???

When Iowa has a great team they beat ISU in either place. KF has had 5 legit Big 10 title/BCS caliber type teams. 02, 03, 04, 09, 10.

The 03 and 09 teams whooped ISU in Ames in blowouts.
2010 was a blow out in Iowa City.
2004 was like a 7 point Iowa win at home.
2002...nobody had really figured out yet that Wallace was a 1 man gang for ISU. Otherwise, those teams listed would have been a perfect 5-0 vs ISU.

ISU does has a history of beating 7 win or less Iowa teams. Point being that If Iowa wins, you need to see how this teams plays out to guage their ability. If Iowa losses on Saturday than it probably means they go 7-5 at best.

Team better be prepared for loud music when on offense. Practice the silent count. Kidd better get some hang time on his punts or there going to have a hay day on returns,oh I'm bad we're not going to Punt. Iowa wins 28-12.

Latest posts